This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Got Glutened!

danikali

danikali Enthusiast

Well, yesterday I was eating (my own home cooked meal) at a deli with my friends. Well, of course, I was still hungry when I was done with my soup, so I looked around to see if there was anything I could eat. I usually get bananas because those are safe no matter where they have been or what they have touched, as you don't eat the skin. (duh..... :rolleyes: )

But they were out of bananas. So there was some fresh cut up fruit in the buffet line. Next to the salads and cold pasta salads and everything. But nothing could be touching in anyway, and it was a very clean deli and very clean looking buffet line. So I decided to get some fruit! (Watermelon, kiwi, grapes, honey-dou and papaya)-just a piece of each.

Well, after I was done, I noticed my stomach hurt like it used to, but not that bad, just a little achy. But then, as the day went on, it got worse and worse, kind of like a sour stomach.....then it went into my back! (it always does that eventually, when I eat gluten) soooo.....I woke up a couple of times last night with pain and this morning, my stomach was like a watermelon! Very very bloated! So as I was preparing my lunch for today, (plain plain potatos and veggies) I started having one of those "IBS" attacks! I had to get down on the ground, on my knees and bend over for like 5 minutes! Then, it ended after I ran to the bathroom and you know what...............

So, I know this is a long story, but is it possible that it could have been the fruit that had some kind of gluten on it? I don't really know how though........I mean, wouldn't I have seen something on it? But it happened a couple minutes after I ate the stuff, and that's exactly what happens after I eat any gluten (pasta, cookies, etc.) It only usually takes a couple of minutes for me to notice symptoms........

But my question is, how? Or do you think I have a problem with one of those types of fruit?? Even though they usually don't seem to bother me!

Of course, right when I start feeling better for a couple of days, something like this has to happen!!!!! Why?????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

traveljunkie Rookie

I'm always leary of fruit, and veggies that are out in the open. Not just for cross contamination, but for the fact they could have other bacteria on them. You never know how hygenic the person cutting and handling the fruit or veggies were! :unsure:

Sorry, you had an attack. It could have been cross contamination or something else completely. Hope you feel better. :)

Charlene

jerseyangel Proficient

Since you said that the symptons were just like what happens when you eat gluten, I would say that cross contamination is the culprit here. Food poisoning usually takes 6 to 72 hrs. to cause illness. They may have used the same knife or board as with bread or something when cutting the fruit. Hope you feel better soon :)

VydorScope Proficient

Buffet lineyou siad? I would say it si possible (and I have personaly seen this) that some well thinking soul picked up some fuit, put in on thier plate with gluten, changed thier mind and put it back... thiking that it was no bigge cause they used a fork or somthing... or a utensil got diped in the pasta, then the fruit... see that alot too.

:(

CeliaCruz Rookie
But they were out of bananas. So there was some fresh cut up fruit in the buffet line. Next to the salads and cold pasta salads and everything. But nothing could be touching in anyway, and it was a very clean deli and very clean looking buffet line. So I decided to get some fruit! (Watermelon, kiwi, grapes, honey-dou and papaya)-just a piece of each.

It's funny to read what you just posted! I almost had the exact same experience this morning. I have been on this "better safe than sorry" regime lately where all I eat for breakfast and lunch is cottage cheese and fruit. Everything else I eat that's sold or served near my job has at one point glutenized me so I'm sticking closely to what I know.

So this morning I was on my way to work when I noticed a new deli that I hadn't been to before. I went in to buy my cottage cheese and I was just about to reach for an orange and a banana (I also stick to the fruits with peels!) when I noticed this FABULOUS looking salad bar that had a fruit section to die for. There were blueberries, sliced mangoes, grapes and strawberries. I was transfixed!

So I started to rationalize: it's early in the morning. Less chance of cross-contamination. The fruit isn't anywhere near the other foods that could contaminate them etc. Ultimately, though, I decided that I wasn't up for a risk so I bought the (boring) orange and banana that I'd already decided to stick to all week. I'm hoping that my digestive system will thank me later.

danikali Enthusiast

Thanks, it had to be that. I know what it feels like when I eat straight gluten, and this is the same exact feeling. And if it takes 6-72 hours to get food poisening, that means I can def. rule that out! It always happens within minutes of ingesting the "wrong" food. First (i know it's gross), I get bad gas and stomach ahces, just slight aches though....then I get really bloated, then I get body pains, slight, sometimes worsens and goes back to slight, then I get an "attack" and then I run to the bathroom. I already ran to the bathroom with that "attack" two times today....and the muscles in my arms feel achy and weak. Ahhhhhhhh..........why did I do that??! I'm never eating from a buffet line again! EVER!!!

Oh and one more question: Does anyone know if orbits gum is safe? I think I read it somewhere that it WAS, but I can't find that anymore, and I want to be sure so I don't keep up this "gluten flare" longer than I need to!

danikali Enthusiast
It's funny to read what you just posted! I almost had the exact same experience this morning. I have been on this "better safe than sorry" regime lately where all I eat for breakfast and lunch is cottage cheese and fruit. Everything else I eat that's sold or served near my job has at one point glutenized me so I'm sticking closely to what I know.

So this morning I was on my way to work when I noticed a new deli that I hadn't been to before. I went in to buy my cottage cheese and I was just about to reach for an orange and a banana (I also stick to the fruits with peels!) when I noticed this FABULOUS looking salad bar that had a fruit section to die for. There were blueberries, sliced mangoes, grapes and strawberries. I was transfixed!

So I started to rationalize: it's early in the morning. Less chance of cross-contamination. The fruit isn't anywhere near the other foods that could contaminate them etc. Ultimately, though, I decided that I wasn't up for a risk so I bought the (boring) orange and banana that I'd already decided to stick to all week. I'm hoping that my digestive system will thank me later.

And let me say, you are smart!!! I'm going to start that too, where I eat the same exact thing everyday, foods that I KNOW are safe for me. From now on, it's only potatos, rice and veggies and fruit from home (unless there is a peel)-

Also, anyone know if I buy any kind of nuts, and in the ingrediants, it just says "raw almonds" for example, is there any way there could be gluten on them?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mookie03 Contributor

dani- thats terrible! just when you were starting to feel great... but let me tell you, any time i eat at a salad bar of any kind, i get sick. i know i dont put anything w/ gluten in my salads, and i always get oil & vinegar or bring my own dressing and i still get sick- not as sick as if i eat gluten, but the cross-contam gets me every time... I think those places are just too risky-- havent you ever seen a piece of pasta from the pasta salad that somehow got into what you are about to take? Its very high risk i think, so i stick to things that are packaged separately. Nuts are totally fine- theres a chance they can be produced somewhere where gluten is processed as well, but otherwise they are totally safe. and orbitz is gluten free too but it makes me slightly sick for some reason- must be some of those fake sugar ingredients - i have trouble w/ a lot of gum.

Feel better!!!

danikali Enthusiast
dani- thats terrible! just when you were starting to feel great... but let me tell you, any time i eat at a salad bar of any kind, i get sick. i know i dont put anything w/ gluten in my salads, and i always get oil & vinegar or bring my own dressing and i still get sick- not as sick as if i eat gluten, but the cross-contam gets me every time... I think those places are just too risky-- havent you ever seen a piece of pasta from the pasta salad that somehow got into what you are about to take? Its very high risk i think, so i stick to things that are packaged separately. Nuts are totally fine- theres a chance they can be produced somewhere where gluten is processed as well, but otherwise they are totally safe. and orbitz is gluten free too but it makes me slightly sick for some reason- must be some of those fake sugar ingredients - i have trouble w/ a lot of gum.

Feel better!!!

Thanks! I know, can you believe this? Starting yesterday after that crappy fruit, and today, the WHOLE day my stomach is bothering me and I think I'm going to make a run for the bathroom a 4th time! I hope this goes away soon, I really THOUGHT I was just starting to get a hang of it! Stefi, how long after you get glutened does it take for you to feel better? And do you think it depends on the amount of contamination that affects you? For example, a piece of bread as opposed to this cross contamination of fruits.....

Thanks!

mookie03 Contributor
Thanks! I know, can you believe this? Starting yesterday after that crappy fruit, and today, the WHOLE day my stomach is bothering me and I think I'm going to make a run for the bathroom a 4th time! I hope this goes away soon, I really THOUGHT I was just starting to get a hang of it! Stefi, how long after you get glutened does it take for you to feel better? And do you think it depends on the amount of contamination that affects you? For example, a piece of bread as opposed to this cross contamination of fruits.....

Thanks!

It definitely depends on the amount of gluten i have-- and i think on other things as well (like how high my immune system is at the time, how much alcohol i drink that week- always makes it worse). If it's cross contam, i generally get a little sick then feel better, but not perfect for the next 24 hours. If im full-out glutened, it can take a while- sometimes even a week, before im back to normal. Also, i know u cant tolerate casein anyway, but i find that if im unknowingly glutened and then drink milk or soy (which i can usually tolerate 100%), i get sick for longer. I guess my digestive system is weakened or something. Dont get frustrated- this kind of thing happens to me a lot since i eat out so much- its always the stupid things too (like fruit). You are getting the hang of it, but it doesnt mean you cant mess up! I will say that when i first went gluten-free, if i had the tiniest bit i would get painfully sick (like you described) but now, its more natural- i just go to the bathroom a lot but it doesnt completely debilitate me. I dont knw if thats true for everyone, but it gives u something to look forward to :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

Food poisoning symptoms can come on a bit faster, and fruit can be a definite carrier of that stuff. (It's happened at a number of buffets.) But contamination's always possible.

RiceGuy Collaborator

From what I know, salad bars are usually sprayed with some sort of stuff to keep the veggies looking fresh while they stay exposed to the air. That's why they look better longer at the bar than if you leave raw veggies out at home. I wouldn't doubt that the fruit is sprayed also, though I haven't verified that. I've no idea off hand what is in the spray. I'm sure the info is available via Google, or maybe someone reading this who works in such a place can respond.

tiffjake Enthusiast
From what I know, salad bars are usually sprayed with some sort of stuff to keep the veggies looking fresh while they stay exposed to the air. That's why they look better longer at the bar than if you leave raw veggies out at home. I wouldn't doubt that the fruit is sprayed also, though I haven't verified that. I've no idea off hand what is in the spray. I'm sure the info is available via Google, or maybe someone reading this who works in such a place can respond.

I have seen people do it at a deli so I asked, it is lemon juice (watered down) because the acidity is a barrier against oxidation (stuff turning brown from Oxygen). There could be something else in there too.

I also wanted to say that as much as it could be cross contamination, it could also be another allergy. I have a food intolerence to strawberries (learned that from the Lame Advertisement test, that measures 150 different foods. First test that told me about the Gluten and Gliadin problem) and now that I am gluten free, my strawberry problem shows up a lot more than it used to (because my body had so many things to fight, I just felt sick ALL the time!). I wouldn't overlook the possability of another food allergy, since research has shown that people who have one allergy most likely have more!

bluelotus Contributor

I am very glad I saw this thread. A coworker and I will be taking a trip for work at the end of January, and as part of the trip (its a conference) you can order meals (which I am declining). I have tried to explain to her that no matter how innocent fruit at the buffet sounds, its a bad idea. (CC from cutting/food prep/lotion with wheat ingred. on hands of workers, whatever) She just looked at me like I've lost my mind. Whatever. I don't need to explain myself to these people.....let them think I'm a freak, at least I won't be getting sick.

Hope you feel better soon, Dani!

Archived