Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, :)

This is my first post on this website so I hope I can find someone who has had the same problem as me. My biggest question has to deal with the Celiac Reflex Panel and the Tissue Transglut Ab IgA results. I was diagnosed with Celiac the first of the year in 2017, so I have only been Gluten Free for a year. I did my labs on March 2nd because I see my Gastro provider at the end of this month (my lab results are below). My question is how long does it take to see the Tissue Transglut Ab IgA decrease!?!? :angry: I am starting to get really upset and irritated that it has not changed at least a little since 2017. I am on a real strict gluten free diet because of the symptoms that I had (Ex: Dermatitis Herpetiformis, Vit D Deficiency, Swelling in feet and ankles, Bloating, and so). So I know that I am eating correctly and I even watch out for cross contamination, its just sad to see my results not change. :(

My Gastro provider did call me and stated that some people with Celiac have a hard time healing compared to others, which I understand, but really a year and no change? Just wondering how long it took some people to finally start to heal? 

My last question was, does anyone know what Refractory Celiac Disease is? My Gastro provider told me that he will wait another 6 months before doing my labs and at that point if my Tissue results are still high then he will do another Endoscopy and check for this Refractory Celiac Disease? 

Thank you so much to everyone for your advice and thoughts. They really help! :D

Thank you, 

-CatAli

image.png.fb00dd0a216e6829fac356b6f2da819e.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:


Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, CatAli said:

Hello everyone, :)

This is my first post on this website so I hope I can find someone who has had the same problem as me. My biggest question has to deal with the Celiac Reflex Panel and the Tissue Transglut Ab IgA results. I was diagnosed with Celiac the first of the year in 2017, so I have only been Gluten Free for a year. I did my labs on March 2nd because I see my Gastro provider at the end of this month (my lab results are below). My question is how long does it take to see the Tissue Transglut Ab IgA decrease!?!? :angry: I am starting to get really upset and irritated that it has not changed at least a little since 2017. I am on a real strict gluten free diet because of the symptoms that I had (Ex: Dermatitis Herpetiformis, Vit D Deficiency, Swelling in feet and ankles, Bloating, and so). So I know that I am eating correctly and I even watch out for cross contamination, its just sad to see my results not change. :(

My Gastro provider did call me and stated that some people with Celiac have a hard time healing compared to others, which I understand, but really a year and no change? Just wondering how long it took some people to finally start to heal? 

My last question was, does anyone know what Refractory Celiac Disease is? My Gastro provider told me that he will wait another 6 months before doing my labs and at that point if my Tissue results are still high then he will do another Endoscopy and check for this Refractory Celiac Disease? 

Thank you so much to everyone for your advice and thoughts. They really help! :D

Thank you, 

-CatAli

image.png.fb00dd0a216e6829fac356b6f2da819e.png

 

 

I can't see that you are really as gluten-free as you might think you are.  Those are very high.  Before you go to Refractory, the doctor should recommend the Fasano elimination diet.  That works for those with no response to a gluten-free diet.

 

 

Edited by kareng
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, CatAli said:

Hello everyone, :)

This is my first post on this website so I hope I can find someone who has had the same problem as me. My biggest question has to deal with the Celiac Reflex Panel and the Tissue Transglut Ab IgA results. I was diagnosed with Celiac the first of the year in 2017, so I have only been Gluten Free for a year. I did my labs on March 2nd because I see my Gastro provider at the end of this month (my lab results are below). My question is how long does it take to see the Tissue Transglut Ab IgA decrease!?!? :angry: I am starting to get really upset and irritated that it has not changed at least a little since 2017. I am on a real strict gluten free diet because of the symptoms that I had (Ex: Dermatitis Herpetiformis, Vit D Deficiency, Swelling in feet and ankles, Bloating, and so). So I know that I am eating correctly and I even watch out for cross contamination, its just sad to see my results not change. :(

My Gastro provider did call me and stated that some people with Celiac have a hard time healing compared to others, which I understand, but really a year and no change? Just wondering how long it took some people to finally start to heal? 

My last question was, does anyone know what Refractory Celiac Disease is? My Gastro provider told me that he will wait another 6 months before doing my labs and at that point if my Tissue results are still high then he will do another Endoscopy and check for this Refractory Celiac Disease? 

Thank you so much to everyone for your advice and thoughts. They really help! :D

Thank you, 

-CatAli

image.png.fb00dd0a216e6829fac356b6f2da819e.png

 

 

I test positive on only the DGP IgA (even on follow-up testing which I have done several times, but usually when I have experienced “glutening” symptoms.  My DGP IgA is usually off the charts, worse than when I was diagnosed.  So disheartening!  After five years and thinking, like you, that I am doing either a poor job of avoiding gluten, am super sensitive  or I have refractory Celiac Disease, I caved in and had an endoscopy.  The results?  All healed!  I even saw the villi.  

My GI and I concluded that I probably did get glutened a few times in the past five years, but the endoscopy did reveal chronic autoimmune gastritis.  That was the cause of current my symptoms even after I went on a modified Fasano diet (I did not give up coffee) last Fall.  At the time my DGP IgA was elevated, so were my thyroid antibodies.  That might have impacted my antibodies results, but no one knows. There is no much research on after care for celiac disease.  There is not much research being done or being funded for celiac disease at all!  

After my endoscopy, I attended a lecture with Dr. Sheila Crowe (UCSD and 2017 American GI Association President) and Melinda Dennis (celiac, dietician and  author who works out of Boston at their celiac center).  Melinda mentioned that antibodies testing after diagnosis has not been accurate, but that it is the only tool in the tool box that is non-evasive.  

I think you have to go by your symptoms.   You would think that if your DH is not flaring, then you  are doing a great job avoiding gluten.   If your DH is acting up, consider the Fasano diet and do not eat out.  Know that continued elevated antibodies it could be attributed to another AI issues or that they just take a very long time to get down (years) for some people.  Do get the endoscopy if your symptoms are not resolving.  It might be something not related to celiac disease.   

 

Edited by cyclinglady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also

Google "Indications and Use of the Gluten Contamination Elimination Diet for Patients with Non-Responsive Celiac Disease".    Maybe this link will work

www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/9/10/1129/pd

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cyclinglady said:

I test positive on only the DGP IgA (even on follow-up testing which I have done several times, but usually when I have experienced “glutening” symptoms.  My DGP IgA is usually off the charts, worse than when I was diagnosed.  So disheartening!  After five years and thinking, like you, that I am doing either a poor job of avoiding gluten, am super sensitive  or I have refractory Celiac Disease, I caved in and had an endoscopy.  The results?  All healed!  I even saw the villi.  

My GI and I concluded that I probably did get glutened a few times in the past five years, but the endoscopy did reveal chronic autoimmune gastritis. That was the cause of current my symptoms even after I went on a modified Fasano diet (I did not give up coffee) last Fall.  At the time my DGP IgA was elevated, so were my thyroid antibodies.  That might have impacted my antibodies results, but no one knows. There is no much research on after care for celiac disease.  There is not much research being done or being funded for celiac disease at all!  

After my endoscopy, I attended a lecture with Dr. Sheila Crowe (UCSD and 2017 American GI Association President) and Melinda Dennis (celiac, dietician and  author who works out of Boston at their celiac center).  Melinda mentioned that antibodies testing after diagnosis has not been accurate, but that it is the only tool in the tool box that is non-evasive.  

I think you have to go by your symptoms.   You would think that if your DH is not flaring, then you  are doing a great job avoiding gluten.   If your DH is acting up, consider the Fasano diet and do not eat out.  Know that continued elevated antibodies it could be attributed to another AI issues or that they just take a very long time to get down (years) for some people.  Do get the endoscopy if your symptoms are not resolving.  It might be something not related to celiac disease.   

 

Hello Cyclinglady, 

Thank you for your advice! You do bring up a good point in regards to go by "your symptoms". I told my Gastro provider that I feel fine. I have had no symptoms compared to how it used to be when I first started this "journey". I have never heard of the Fasano Elimination Diet but I will definitely bring it up to my Gastro at the end of this month.

I honestly hope that my symptoms do resolve or at least my Celiac lowers in some way. I do not want it to be anything worse, that's for sure! I need to do some research on Chronic Autoimmune Gastritis. I have never heard of that either, then again I never heard about a lot of this autoimmune disorders until a year ago anyways. But you are right, there is not a whole lot of research on Celiac Disease. Its pretty sad really. 

Have you felt better? Now that you know it was Chronic Autoimmune Gastritis? Did you do anything else with your diet? 

Thank you again for your advice and thoughts on this subject. I need to do some research now. Haha. Thank you again. 

-CatAli 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


1 hour ago, kareng said:

also

Google "Indications and Use of the Gluten Contamination Elimination Diet for Patients with Non-Responsive Celiac Disease".    Maybe this link will work

www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/9/10/1129/pd

Hello Kareng, 

Thank you for the link, I will read this today! :) 

-CatAli 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kareng said:

I can't see that you are really as gluten-free as you might think you are.  Those are very high.  Before you go to Refractory, the doctor should recommend the Fasano elimination diet.  That works for those with no response to a gluten-free diet.

 

 

Hello Kareng, 

Thank you again for the link. Like I said to Cyclinglady, I have never heard of this diet but I will definitely look into it. I know at this point my Gastro provider wanted me to stay Gluten Free for another 6 months, then retest my labs. But I will bring this up when I see him this month. 

But what is Refractory Celiac? From what I researched so far, its basically when your body fails to heal and you continue to suffer from villous atrophy even though you follow a strict gluten free diet. If this is the case, I really hope I do not have it. :o

Thank you again for your reply and thoughts. I will read this article as well. 

-CatAli 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CatAli said:

Hello Kareng, 

Thank you again for the link. Like I said to Cyclinglady, I have never heard of this diet but I will definitely look into it. I know at this point my Gastro provider wanted me to stay Gluten Free for another 6 months, then retest my labs. But I will bring this up when I see him this month. 

But what is Refractory Celiac? From what I researched so far, its basically when your body fails to heal and you continue to suffer from villous atrophy even though you follow a strict gluten free diet. If this is the case, I really hope I do not have it. :o

Thank you again for your reply and thoughts. I will read this article as well. 

-CatAli 

 

 

But what the researchers found was that, most all "refractory" patients who went on the Fassano diet, healed. It would definitely  be worth a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Karen.  She has offered some very sound advice.  There are  way too many celiacs being diagnosed with refractory or non-responsive celiac disease without trying to determine if hidden sources of gluten are being consumed.  Read the link and try the diet. 

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/9/10/1129/pdf

This article does discuss the fact that follow-up blood testing is not perfect and that an endoscopy is the only way to know for sure.  Again, the blood tests are the only tools in the toolbox right now.  However, I would trial the “Fasano” diet (I did!) before doing a repeat endoscopy.  I would not even do the Fasano diet at all, especially if you are not experiencing any DH flares.  Celiacs who have DH can be super sensitive and the proof can be easily seen and felt on your skin.  No breakouts and you can be sure you are doing the gluten free diet correctly.  (I do not have DH, so someone with DH, back me up!) 

Refractory celiac disease is like my Hashimoto’s or AI gastritis.  There is no cure and no one really knows the trigger (unlike celiac disease where gluten is the trigger).  It is RARE.  

I am simply gluten free and low carb at this point.  I have considered an Autoimmune Diet (AIP), but it means no coffee for me!  My diet is already restrictive enough as I have celiac disease and diabetes, but I am still contemplating it.  Autoimmune issues tend to flare up and diminish.  I seem to be much better now.  

We have had members who suspected refractory, but it turns out they were getting gluten into their diet.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

 I would not even do the Fasano diet at all, especially if you are not experiencing any DH flares.  Celiacs who have DH can be super sensitive and the proof can be easily seen and felt on your skin.  No breakouts and you can be sure you are doing the gluten free diet correctly.  (I do not have DH, so someone with DH, back me up!) 

 

I am guessing the DH wasn't officially or correctly diagnosed.  If the antibody levels are that high, I would think that Dh would be present.  A lot of people, even doctors, just say that a rash is DH with Celiac.    

The thing that is concerning is how high the follow-up levels are!  Sometimes they can be slightly elevated from other causes, but these levels are still above what the test can measure.  It does make you wonder how high they were initially.  But one is going down... 

So, if it were me, before I had another endo and got put on prednisone for a long period of time, I would give the Fasano diet a trial. I would look very carefully at every thing I eat.  At what others in the house eat.  I have seen people who believe they are eating gluten-free but eat Rice Krispies or corn flakes which are not gluten-free.  Just as an example.  or share a toaster or find out that someone has been using their PB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


CatAli,

1 hour ago, CatAli said:

I need to do some research on Chronic Autoimmune Gastritis.

Here is the link to the study on Chronic Gastritis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4673514/

and a recent thread about electrolyte imbalances that can be tied too low stomach acid for too long associated with chronic gastritis.

I hope this is helpful.

***this is not medical advice but I found I had low stomach acid misdiagnosed/undiagnosed because at least in my case a heidelberg test aka gastric acid function test was never performed to test the function of my stomach.  Once I took betaineHCL my GI symptom's greatly improved.

this does not work for everybody but before (taking betaineHCL) you should get your doctor's to test first for your pH levels and then you will know if taking BetaineHCL can help you.

some people self test with betaineHCL capsules first but it might be risky if you don't know how to take them without some research on it first.

but the key for me was to bee sure to drink plenty of water.

Take at least a full 16 oz of water for every BetaineHCL couple capsules to activate the stomach acid.  this will also keep the capsule from lodging in the lining of the stomach possible causing things worse and help sufficiently dissolve the capsule itself.  Always do this with food to help you dilute the acid you have just taken with food naturally.

but water is key to driving the digestion process.

if done properly you will feel a warm sensation in your abdomen area.

again I hope this is helpful. . . but I would have your doctor "officially" test the strength of your stomach acid with a heidelberg test because low stomach acid is linked to chronic gastritis.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

posterboy by the grace of God,

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible that your lab's TTG-IGA test's ceiling (250) is low enough that it's making it hard to measure your progress? At our lab, the ceiling is 3,000; my kids were diagnosed around the same time as you with results over that ceiling (>3,000) and have registered results in the 300s and 200s (which would for you still show as "unknown number above 250") as they progress downward. They've made it to the double digits now, so their levels are going down faster than yours - so you may be getting some gluten in your diet or just healing more slowly - i.e., your levels are coming down, you just can't see it on that test yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sienna2013 said:

Is it possible that your lab's TTG-IGA test's ceiling (250) is low enough that it's making it hard to measure your progress? At our lab, the ceiling is 3,000; my kids were diagnosed around the same time as you with results over that ceiling (>3,000) and have registered results in the 300s and 200s (which would for you still show as "unknown number above 250") as they progress downward. They've made it to the double digits now, so their levels are going down faster than yours - so you may be getting some gluten in your diet or just healing more slowly - i.e., your levels are coming down, you just can't see it on that test yet.

Good point!  😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sienna2013 said:

Is it possible that your lab's TTG-IGA test's ceiling (250) is low enough that it's making it hard to measure your progress? At our lab, the ceiling is 3,000; my kids were diagnosed around the same time as you with results over that ceiling (>3,000) and have registered results in the 300s and 200s (which would for you still show as "unknown number above 250") as they progress downward. They've made it to the double digits now, so their levels are going down faster than yours - so you may be getting some gluten in your diet or just healing more slowly - i.e., your levels are coming down, you just can't see it on that test yet.

This is what I thought myself.  It is a shame that labs do no give a definitive number , once the results go over the low threshold they usually give. Your tTg could have been 4,000, for all we know.  It could be coming down but you won't see that until it reaches 250 and lower.  The lab which tested me did the same thing.  They only went to 100 and my result showed as a bar graph and it extended out well past the 100 point but gave no numerical number.  For diagnosis purposes, anything as high as 100 is a no brainer for Celiac but for healing purposes, a solid number is the key to knowing how well you are really doing.  Most people do not have that high of a tTg but some of us do.

If your symptoms are going away or under control and you feel much better, I would not worry about it and wait to re-test.  You could have a nutritionist look over your diet to see if there are any slip-ups but that is up to you.  Hang in there......these things take a lot of time sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The celiac antibody tests in the US are only approved by the FDA for diagnosis, not for monitoring recovery and comparing from one time point to another.  Diluting the sample and rerunning the test to get a number within reportable range would not be cost effective for a laboratory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Repeat antibody testing, for those who are serio-positive at diagnosis, is extremely useful as a tool for monitoring improvement. Many Celiac experts (MD's) have written books detailing which ones are important to use as another tool in monitoring recovery so I would take their word over the FDA.  It will not be 100% in all cases but with immune testing, that's pretty normal.  It's supposed to be used in conjunction with symptom resolution and the normalization of deficiencies, if they existed at diagnosis.  Not everyone is game to have invasive testing done again, unless warranted.  Most every Celiac doctor uses them as another tool after diagnosis and until they develop another, non-invasive test to monitor recovery, they do just fine for many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@CatAli

If you head over to the DH board, I think you'll see that most of the users there say they require a Fasano-ish diet to control their flares. This is the case for me personally.

I have also found that I have to be very careful when it comes to cosmetics/personal care products, even those that theoretically shouldn't end up near my mouth (gluten must be ingested to cause a celiac reaction). As a scientist who has done a lot of work in biohazard labs/clinical environments, I can assure you there's a reason why scientists/doctors wear gloves and surgical masks when handling stuff that like gluten, is only harmful if ingested... it's because people touch their mouths all the time without realizing it! Many mainstream, inexpensive brands are safe, so no point in risking it for the sake of vanity IMHO.

I'm not sure if you have access to the paper where the rules are described, but basically it involves cutting out all processed foods (even gluten-free substitutes), and allows you to eat only starchy vegetables (eg. potatoes), rice and beans (prepped from dry beans) in terms of complex carbs. No seasonings or spices except salt, unless you're buying them fresh (eg. fresh chili peppers, ginger, garlic, herbs). Fresh fruit/veggies, in-shell nuts, plain meat, eggs, and plain dairy (cheese, yoghurt, milk) are ok too. I'd argue that coffee is ok too, as long as you grind it from the whole bean, but strictly speaking... not on the list:blink:. Also... no eating anything you didn't make yourself, in case you weren't already doing that. 

Using the Fasano diet allowed me to figure out that the problem for me was most processed gluten-free substitute foods, such as breads, flours, pastas etc. To be clear, this isn't to say that these foods are unsafe for all... it's just that it's possible for many of these types of products to have legal/reasonable amounts of trace gluten that some people can't handle. Basically, the ultra-strict Fasano diet improved the rash a lot, and then I did trial/error reintroductions of various low-risk foods to see if they caused a relapse. Most things I was eating before were fine, but processed substitute foods were not, so they got the axe. Now I just make my own mostly.

Other people on this thread have given you good suggestions, but I wanted to make it clear that you are not alone in finding that the standard celiac GFD was not sufficient to fully get rid of your symptoms. I understand the frustration (and itchiness) you feel, especially when working with clinicians who don't get that there are shades of grey in applying the GFD. I hope you are able to bring your numbers down and get rid of the rash!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gemini said:

Repeat antibody testing, for those who are serio-positive at diagnosis, is extremely useful as a tool for monitoring improvement. Many Celiac experts (MD's) have written books detailing which ones are important to use as another tool in monitoring recovery so I would take their word over the FDA

The FDA has not said the tests are not useful for monitoring (sorry about the double negative).  The test manufacturers have not submitted data requesting that their tests be approved by FDA for monitoring.  Since doctors already order the tests for monitoring there wouldn’t be much monetary advantage for the manufacturers to do a clinical trial proving that they are useful, just like there isn’t a monetary advantage to the laboratory to dilute and rerun a sample that is over range.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1

  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 453 Guests (See full list)

  • Top Posters +

  • Recent Articles

    Roxanne Bracknell
    Celiac.com 06/22/2018 - The rise of food allergies means that many people are avoiding gluten in recent times. In fact, the number of Americans who have stopped eating gluten has tripled in eight years between 2009 and 2017.
    Whatever your rationale for avoiding gluten, whether its celiac disease, a sensitivity to the protein, or any other reason, it can be really hard to find suitable places to eat out. When you’re on holiday in a new and unknown environment, this can be near impossible. As awareness of celiac disease grows around the world, however, more and more cities are opening their doors to gluten-free lifestyles, none more so than the 10 locations on the list below.
    Perhaps unsurprisingly, the U.S is a hotbed of gluten-free options, with four cities making the top 10, as well as the Hawaiian island of Maui. Chicago, in particular, is a real haven of gluten-free fare, with 240 coeliac-safe eateries throughout this huge city. The super hip city of Portland also ranks highly on this list, with the capital of counterculture rich in gluten-free cuisine, with San Francisco and Denver also included. Outside of the states, several prominent European capitals also rank very highly on the list, including Prague, the picturesque and historic capital of the Czech Republic, which boasts the best-reviewed restaurants on this list.
    The Irish capital of Dublin, meanwhile, has the most gluten-free establishments, with a huge 330 to choose from, while Amsterdam and Barcelona also feature prominently thanks to their variety of top-notch gluten-free fodder.
    Finally, a special mention must go to Auckland, the sole representative of Australasia in this list, with the largest city in New Zealand rounding out the top 10 thanks to its 180 coeliacsafe eateries.
    The full top ten gluten-free cities are shown in the graphic below:
     

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/21/2018 - Would you buy a house advertised as ‘gluten-free’? Yes, there really is such a house for sale. 
    It seems a Phoenix realtor Mike D’Elena is hoping that his trendy claim will catch the eye of a buyer hungry to avoid gluten, or, at least one with a sense of humor. D’Elena said he crafted the ads as a way to “be funny and to draw attention.” The idea, D’Elena said, is to “make it memorable.” 
    Though D’Elena’s marketing seeks to capitalizes on the gluten-free trend, he knows Celiac disease is a serious health issue for some people. “[W]e’re not here to offend anybody….this is just something we're just trying to do to draw attention and do what's best for our clients," he said. 
    Still, the signs seem to be working. D'elena had fielded six offers within a few days of listing the west Phoenix home.
    "Buying can sometimes be the most stressful thing you do in your entire life so why not have some fun with it," he said. 
    What do you think? Clever? Funny?
    Read more at Arizonafamily.com.

    Advertising Banner-Ads
    Bakery On Main started in the small bakery of a natural foods market on Main Street in Glastonbury, Connecticut. Founder Michael Smulders listened when his customers with Celiac Disease would mention the lack of good tasting, gluten-free options available to them. Upon learning this, he believed that nobody should have to suffer due to any kind of food allergy or dietary need. From then on, his mission became creating delicious and fearlessly unique gluten-free products that were clean and great tasting, while still being safe for his Celiac customers!
    Premium ingredients, bakeshop delicious recipes, and happy customers were our inspiration from the beginning— and are still the cornerstones of Bakery On Main today. We are a fiercely ethical company that believes in integrity and feels that happiness and wholesome, great tasting food should be harmonious. We strive for that in everything we bake in our dedicated gluten-free facility that is GFCO Certified and SQF Level 3 Certified. We use only natural, NON-GMO Project Verified ingredients and all of our products are certified Kosher Parve, dairy and casein free, and we have recently introduced certified Organic items as well! 
    Our passion is to bake the very best products while bringing happiness to our customers, each other, and all those we meet!
    We are available during normal business hours at: 1-888-533-8118 EST.
    To learn more about us at: visit our site.

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/20/2018 - Currently, the only way to manage celiac disease is to eliminate gluten from the diet. That could be set to change as clinical trials begin in Australia for a new vaccine that aims to switch off the immune response to gluten. 
    The trials are set to begin at Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre. The vaccine is designed to allow people with celiac disease to consume gluten with no adverse effects. A successful vaccine could be the beginning of the end for the gluten-free diet as the only currently viable treatment for celiac disease. That could be a massive breakthrough for people with celiac disease.
    USC’s Clinical Trials Centre Director Lucas Litewka said trial participants would receive an injection of the vaccine twice a week for seven weeks. The trials will be conducted alongside gastroenterologist Dr. James Daveson, who called the vaccine “a very exciting potential new therapy that has been undergoing clinical trials for several years now.”
    Dr. Daveson said the investigational vaccine might potentially restore gluten tolerance to people with celiac disease.The trial is open to adults between the ages of 18 and 70 who have clinically diagnosed celiac disease, and have followed a strict gluten-free diet for at least 12 months. Anyone interested in participating can go to www.joinourtrials.com.
    Read more at the website for Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre.

    Source:
    FoodProcessing.com.au

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/19/2018 - Could baking soda help reduce the inflammation and damage caused by autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease? Scientists at the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University say that a daily dose of baking soda may in fact help reduce inflammation and damage caused by autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease.
    Those scientists recently gathered some of the first evidence to show that cheap, over-the-counter antacids can prompt the spleen to promote an anti-inflammatory environment that could be helpful in combating inflammatory disease.
    A type of cell called mesothelial cells line our body cavities, like the digestive tract. They have little fingers, called microvilli, that sense the environment, and warn the organs they cover that there is an invader and an immune response is needed.
    The team’s data shows that when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda, the stomach makes more acid, which causes mesothelial cells on the outside of the spleen to tell the spleen to go easy on the immune response.  "It's most likely a hamburger not a bacterial infection," is basically the message, says Dr. Paul O'Connor, renal physiologist in the MCG Department of Physiology at Augusta University and the study's corresponding author.
    That message, which is transmitted with help from a chemical messenger called acetylcholine, seems to encourage the gut to shift against inflammation, say the scientists.
    In patients who drank water with baking soda for two weeks, immune cells called macrophages, shifted from primarily those that promote inflammation, called M1, to those that reduce it, called M2. "The shift from inflammatory to an anti-inflammatory profile is happening everywhere," O'Connor says. "We saw it in the kidneys, we saw it in the spleen, now we see it in the peripheral blood."
    O'Connor hopes drinking baking soda can one day produce similar results for people with autoimmune disease. "You are not really turning anything off or on, you are just pushing it toward one side by giving an anti-inflammatory stimulus," he says, in this case, away from harmful inflammation. "It's potentially a really safe way to treat inflammatory disease."
    The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health.
    Read more at: Sciencedaily.com

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      110,272
    • Total Posts
      949,832
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      77,779
    • Most Online
      3,093

    Newest Member
    Peg Deterding Bunting
    Joined
  • Popular Now

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • OK good to know. Thanks for the tip
    • This is an old thread but I just need to get this out of my system! I am just so fed up with how every caregiver has been dealing with me case. My enzymes have been abnormal and my doc continuously asks me if I'm binge drinking - I literally haven't had a sip of alcohol in 2 years. Never been a heavy drinker.  She also tells me that all of my troubling neurological symptoms - sensory hypersensitivity, tinnitus, jaw/pain, headaches, fatigue, teeth grinding, nightmares, and EPILEPSY are "all in my head." ??? When my GI symptoms first started, she tried pushing acid reflux medications on me, even though Ive never dealt with heartburn. She was confused and aggressively asked, "Then what do you want!???"... um, to figure out the root of my issues? Some diagnostics? Gosh... When I told her my symptoms had decreased on a low gluten diet and I was interested in being tested for celiac, she asked me "why bother? if you're feeling better, just eat less gluten" - not understanding the value of a formal diagnosis.   I just wish I had some other disease that was more medically recognized and understood. Its so demeaning, and I try to see my doctors as little as possible now. I do my own research on PubMED and google scholar. And I don't even think I've had it the worst- I'm totally appalled by all of the crap I've read on this thread. Anyways, I'm done ranting.
    • Has your Dr mention Microscopic Colitis at all.  You mentioned taking PPI's.  I took them for over a year - 2 morning and 2 night.  I think that's how I ended up with Microscopic Colitis.  I don't think I have Celiac disease but do think I am very sensitive to gluten.  My GI dr. told me to eat whatever I want , but have learned from research, partly from microscopiccolitis.org that almost everyone with MC is sensitive to gluten and most to dairy and some to soy.  I know some on this site don't agree with some of what is said on that site, but they are really good people who want to help.  Just said all that to say, maybe you should ask your GI if you could have MC.  Hope you get it all figured out.  I know the frustration.  It can take over your life.
    • Yeah their shreds raw are nasty but melted in recipes they are decent, they make 2 different shreds a cutting board super stretchy version and a plain, they also sell that mac and cheese sauce by itself for use in other recipes. https://store.veganessentials.com/daiya-deluxe-cheeze-sauces-p5079.aspx The company makes a decent cream cheese and cheese cake also if you can stomach the xantham gum.

      I am going to copy and paste something from another thread thread and link you a list of alternatives. " Violife...makes vegan Feta...I have been dying to try their cheeses and hear good reviews. They also make other cheeses.
      https://store.veganessentials.com/just-like-feta-by-violife-p5342.aspx
      Kite Hill makes great Ricotta, the truffle cheese from them....yeah you will eat the whole thing in one sitting stuff is addictive,  decent cream cheese if you can stomach xantham gum (only one they have that has it).
      
      Miyoko Creamery makes great mozzarella and even a smoked version I hear they make great cream cheese and wheels also but I have not gotten any. Leaf Cuisines makes the best smoked gouda, and a strong garlic and herb cheese

      Tree line Scallion is glorious, and their garlic and herb is milder then Leaf cuisines but decent flavor...the peppered is meh.

      Daiya Blocks flavor wise are better then the shreds, the jalapeno Havarti is one my my dads favorites and he loves their cheddar...again xantham gum so not for me. Their cream cheese is decent but noticeable artificial. Their shreds come in 2 formulations a high melt version (cutting block) and standard I they taste better cooked into recieps over raw.
      Daiya recently started offering cheese sauces...like the stuff they used to sell with their mac&cheese but just the sauce.

      Lissanatti makes the best "raw" shreds for cheddar and mozz.

      Parma makes great Parmesan sub...the better then bacon one is SUPER addicting.

      I heard good reviews on so delicious cheese....but corn makes makes me not even able to do a chew and spit taste without an allergic reaction.

      I recently found a creamery you can contact about getting cheeses...I found their sauce on a site and got it.....great Alfredo sauce.
      http://www.parmelacreamery.com/
      https://www.luckyvitamin.com/m-28232-parmela-creamery
        Dairy Free cheese products  NOTE CHECK FOR GLUTEN FREE ON THEM
      https://store.veganessentials.com/cheese-alternatives-c6.aspx

      Other gluten free options for everything else  
    • Dairy is dairy on a elimination diet, your trying to void all the proteins, lactose, whey, casein, and the enzymes, hormones, pus, etc that could be setting off issues. I would even say wait at first on the dairy free alts. IF anything go with the fewest ingredients ones without starches or gums like the plain kite hills, tree line, leaf cuisines and miyoko. And completely sideline the crazy ones like daiya, or the blends of more then 2-4 ingredients.
  • Blog Entries

  • Upcoming Events