This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Using Cream of Rice in Cooking/Baking, and other products I've found

LilyR

LilyR Rising Star

I was eating some cream of rice the other day and was thinking with it being so sticky, maybe I could try using it in some baking recipes.  Maybe it would help hold things together.  So I was just looking online to see if their website happened to have any recipes and I found this:  Open Original Shared Link

If you click on the arrows it takes you to more recipes - some that are savory, and baked goods, even onion rings. I can't wait to try a few, and experimenting with my own old recipes using some cream of rice in them.  Now to just get some energy so I feel up to doing so. 

Just on a side note for other ideas, I crushed Rice Chex and used it to coat chicken (added some seasoning to it) and my family and I liked that a lot.  It was crispy and tasty. 

And if you have trouble eating brown rice or corn products which is in many gluten-free pastas, I found a pasta I can tolerate made with white rice flour.  They sell them in my local grocery store in with all the Asian type products like canned water chestnuts and sprouts, rice noodles, soy sauces, etc but you can also get them at amazon:

Open Original Shared Link

And I found some bread products too, with no brown rice or corn flour in them (no xanthan gum either).  The company is called Against the Grain and it's in the freezer section.  So far I've tried the pita bread, the rolls,  and the pizza crust. The store I shop at does not have the cookies, but I hope to find them in some other store and give them a try too.  I am really craving a cookie, but so far the gluten-free ones I see in stores have brown rice or corn flour, and/or soy or things like xanthan gum, etc Open Original Shared Link

I love using the pita breads to make egg and cheese sandwiches or sausage and cheese, or BLT's, or any sandwich. Also we made a ham and cheese dip this winter and instead of crackers I used the pita cut up in wedges (you can fry it too). The rolls are my replacement if I want something like a croissant, I just eat a plan, warmed roll (okay, not the same, but still good). Also. I was craving something sweet so I heated a roll and put butter on it and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.  I was thinking I could even make a glaze to drizzle on it and it'd be like a cinnamon bun.  Also, I am thinking of putting some butter on it sometime and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and garlic powder and bake to make them like a garlic knot or garlic bread.   I have also used both the pita and the rolls to make pizza.  And made meatball grinders with melted gooey mozzarella cheese on the rolls.  That was really good.  The rolls are thick so I use them to make open-face sandwiches.  Also, I am thinking I could try grinding up the pita sometime to make into bread crumbs too. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
19 minutes ago, LilyR said:

I was eating some cream of rice the other day and was thinking with it being so sticky, maybe I could try using it in some baking recipes.  Maybe it would help hold things together.  So I was just looking online to see if their website happened to have any recipes and I found this:  Open Original Shared Link

If you click on the arrows it takes you to more recipes - some that are savory, and baked goods, even onion rings. I can't wait to try a few, and experimenting with my own old recipes using some cream of rice in them.  Now to just get some energy so I feel up to doing so. 

Just on a side note for other ideas, I crushed Rice Chex and used it to coat chicken (added some seasoning to it) and my family and I liked that a lot.  It was crispy and tasty. 

And if you have trouble eating brown rice or corn products which is in many gluten-free pastas, I found a pasta I can tolerate made with white rice flour.  They sell them in my local grocery store in with all the Asian type products like canned water chestnuts and sprouts, rice noodles, soy sauces, etc but you can also get them at amazon:

And I found some bread products too, with no brown rice or corn flour in them (no xanthan gum either).  The company is called Against the Grain and it's in the freezer section.  So far I've tried the pita bread, the rolls,  and the pizza crust. The store I shop at does not have the cookies, but I hope to find them in some other store and give them a try too.  I am really craving a cookie, but so far the gluten-free ones I see in stores have brown rice or corn flour, and/or soy or things like xanthan gum, etc Open Original Shared Link

I love using the pita breads to make egg and cheese sandwiches or sausage and cheese, or BLT's, or any sandwich. Also we made a ham and cheese dip this winter and instead of crackers I used the pita cut up in wedges (you can fry it too). The rolls are my replacement if I want something like a croissant, I just eat a plan, warmed roll (okay, not the same, but still good). Also. I was craving something sweet so I heated a roll and put butter on it and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.  I was thinking I could even make a glaze to drizzle on it and it'd be like a cinnamon bun.  Also, I am thinking of putting some butter on it sometime and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and garlic powder and bake to make them like a garlic knot or garlic bread.   I have also used both the pita and the rolls to make pizza.  And made meatball grinders with melted gooey mozzarella cheese on the rolls.  That was really good.  The rolls are thick so I use them to make open-face sandwiches.  Also, I am thinking I could try grinding up the pita sometime to make into bread crumbs too. 

Cream of rice is basically instant congee, it can be made savory or sweet a type of rice gruel that is very popular among asian cultures. The instant kind is much thinner but also 10x quicker then the standard prep method...I used to live off the stuff over 4 years ago right after my celiac diagnosis.
WIll make a great breading corn and gluten free, I also liked to use bean chips from bean fields, or beanitos pulsed in a food processor for seasoned breading...I use Protes chips now this say am....Dairy free cheese stick rock.
Chip/bread dippers. I found using Califlour Foods pizza crust, the plant based one corn and gluten free, I make them extra crsipy in the oven for a crispy pizza flavored chip...OMG I DEVOUR them. I sometimes make bread stick out of left over break from my bakery, or julian bakery bread. Dry them out a bit on a cookie cooling rack in the oven.
I have a Vegan Cheezy Bread recipe that even shames major chains breads.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Thank so Lili and Ennis. I'm always looking for new ideas, products, and inspiration.

As my body over the past two years seems to communicate that it's best if I find grain alternatives or limit my brown rice consumption.

?

• 2 weeks later...
LilyR Rising Star
On 3/13/2018 at 3:16 PM, Awol cast iron stomach said:

Thank so Lili and Ennis. I'm always looking for new ideas, products, and inspiration.

As my body over the past two years seems to communicate that it's best if I find grain alternatives or limit my brown rice consumption.

?

I hope you find some good recipes you can handle.  My husband just made me manicotti with a gluten-free crepe recipe this weekend that was really good. And only white rice flour, water, and egg in it.  I think there are many things I could do with the crepe, savory or sweet. Here's the recipe if you'd like....I know how hard it is to find recipes with just white rice flour. 

Archived