This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Are You Cooking For Easter?

LilyR

LilyR Rising Star

What does everyone like to make for a gluten-free Easter?  This is my first Easter where I can't have gluten.  It is changing some ideas I normally do.  Just last year I discovered these yummy little ham and swiss sliders using Kings Hawaiian rolls.  It has this sauce you make with Worcestershire and onion powder and butter.  I will miss those.  But I am thinking of trying to make them with a gluten-free bread, maybe.  It was the sauce that was extra special with it (okay, and the rolls...).  

I am sure there are ways to make a gluten-free carrot cake, but I can't eat gluten-free flour products with corn flour, brown rice flour, xantham gum, etc. so I probably will avoid things like that for now.  I am thinking of either making cheese cake (with no crust) or a flourless chocolate torte.  

I am hoping to find a gluten-free spiral ham. 

My husband is making these today for us....and if they are good, I could picture this being a nice holiday meal - gluten-free manicotti (just white rice flour, egg ,water, and salt in the crepe part) - Open Original Shared Link

I heard Jelly Belly jelly beans are gluten-free but haven't checked to see if they have soy or corn product. I am going to see if any old fashioned, regular pectin jelly beans are gluten-free, but not holding my breath.  There is a candy store in town that says they sell gluten-free truffles. I haven't checked them out yet or asked what other ingredients are in them. 

Deviled eggs (to use up all those colored Easter eggs), although I haven't checked to see if mayo has soy. I do use it once in a while. I have heard some mustards are not gluten-free (I normally like to put some Guldens spicy mustard in our deviled eggs, but heard that is not gluten-free, so might have to use some yellow French's mustard instead).  

How many years have you all been gluten-free?  Do you have some favorite Easter/Holiday recipes, or are you trying anything new this year? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Fish, Ham, Deviled eggs, Baked Beans with bacon or Ham, broccoli and mushroom casserole over miracle rice (going to post my recipe soon on this), MY grain free rolls (https://www.celiac.com/blogs/entry/2145-keto-grain-free-dinner-rolls/) Dessert I am doing my grain free paleo muffins for the family. Myself ....I was actually going to make a keto grain free bread and put carrot cake extract in it -_- (Amorreti Makes a expensive carrot cake extract that is to DIE forOpen Original Shared Link) I cook for my family and invite them over, I normally eat the fish, keto rolls, the whites of the deviled eggs with mustard, some of the casserole, and dessert. I let the family take the rest home. 

Oh there is a new years thing that we sometimes due for Easter but my mom opted out, we used to do tortillas with deli slice sliced ham rolled up with cream cheese filling...I do them now with just the deli ham and kite hill cheeses.

icelandgirl Proficient

Hi Lily,

This will be my 5th gluten free Easter.  Our menu is going to be the same as last year as we really enjoyed it. ?

Grilled pork tenderloin

Scalloped potatoes

Roasted asparagus

Glazed carrots

Deviled eggs

Buttermilk biscuits with homemade blueberry preserves

I'm not sure what to do for dessert yet...thinking...

Alwayssomething Contributor

Rotisserie Chicken

Ham

Green Bean Casserole

Deviled Eggs

Potato Salad

Spinach apple salad with this amazing dressing

Strawberry Dessert

The only thing we will have that will not be gluten free is Mac n cheese.   Because we make it for the kids and we use a old recipe and I don't care if I don't have it, we just continue to make it the old way. 

icelandgirl Proficient
4 hours ago, Alwayssomething said:

Rotisserie Chicken

Ham

Green Bean Casserole

Deviled Eggs

Potato Salad

Spinach apple salad with this amazing dressing

Strawberry Dessert

The only thing we will have that will not be gluten free is Mac n cheese.   Because we make it for the kids and we use a old recipe and I don't care if I don't have it, we just continue to make it the old way. 

Hi AS,

Would you be willing to share your strawberry dessert recipe?  I'm still trying to figure out what to make.  ?

cyclinglady Grand Master

What about this easy Jello cheesecake that my mom and I have been making since the 1960s?  It is always a bit hit and perfect for Easter.  Best yet, it can be made the day before.  One thing done on your checklist!

Open Original Shared Link

There are other comparable recipes out there that have been tweaked.  So, pick your favorite.  Fold gently to prevent the volume of the whipped evaporated milk from decreasing.  

I have no afflications with this site I linked.  I was too lazy to type out the recipe.  Of course, USE gluten free graham cracker crumbs!  

icelandgirl Proficient
1 minute ago, cyclinglady said:

What about this easy Jello cheesecake that my mom and I have been making since the 1960s?  It is always a bit hit and perfect for Easter.  Best yet, it can be made the day before.  One thing done on your checklist!

There are other comparable recipes out there that have been tweaked.  So, pick your favorite.  Fold gently to prevent the volume of the whipped evaporated milk from decreasing.  

I have no afflications with this site I linked.  I was too lazy to type out the recipe.  Of course, USE gluten free graham cracker crumbs!  

That does look yummy!  I cant handle a whole lot of dairy, unfortunately.  ?  I love dairy, but it does not love me back.  Lol!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LilyR Rising Star

Lots of yummy ideas.  I am still figuring out certain ingredients beside gluten that I can't seem to eat, so that can limit some recipes and store-bought products even more, but it's a learning process, that's for sure. 

Oh, and just a note about the manicotti crepe recipe I mentioned above, the easiest way to flip them when cooking is to flip them onto a plate and then back into the frying pan.  Trying to just use a flat spatula can break them really easily.  Using a plate made it pretty easy and keeping the crepe whole and neat. 

I'll be checking the sale flyers to see what spiral hams are in local stores that I can look up online ahead of time to make sure they are gluten-free.  I am hoping most will be gluten-free (other than perhaps if it comes with a packet of glaze in it that you don't have to use).  Anyone know of any spiral hams that claim to be gluten-free?  If there was a good sale on lamb I'd prefer that for Easter, but I rarely find a good deal on that in my town.  

I was debating on scalloped potatoes too.  

icelandgirl Proficient
47 minutes ago, LilyR said:

Lots of yummy ideas.  I am still figuring out certain ingredients beside gluten that I can't seem to eat, so that can limit some recipes and store-bought products even more, but it's a learning process, that's for sure. 

Oh, and just a note about the manicotti crepe recipe I mentioned above, the easiest way to flip them when cooking is to flip them onto a plate and then back into the frying pan.  Trying to just use a flat spatula can break them really easily.  Using a plate made it pretty easy and keeping the crepe whole and neat. 

I'll be checking the sale flyers to see what spiral hams are in local stores that I can look up online ahead of time to make sure they are gluten-free.  I am hoping most will be gluten-free (other than perhaps if it comes with a packet of glaze in it that you don't have to use).  Anyone know of any spiral hams that claim to be gluten-free?  If there was a good sale on lamb I'd prefer that for Easter, but I rarely find a good deal on that in my town.  

I was debating on scalloped potatoes too.  

Definitely do the scalloped potatoes!  I am sure that your first gluten free Easter will be delicious and all of this gets easier the longer you do it!

jetladuke Newbie

Thanks everyone!  so happy to see everyone's menu.  This is our first gluten free Easter.  I am thinking:

• rotisserie beef tenderloin with a red wine reduction sauce (will thicken with corn starch or gluten-free flour)
  • green beans with mushroom sauce (i make a homemade bechmel sauce, don't worry i'll use gluten-free flour)
  • scalloped potatoes (copy catting, as you've all got me in the mood for them)
  • dessert is still up for debate. . . . .  we're also reduced lactose as my daughters small intestines are still healing (crossing fingers for some dairy soon)

we're inviting another family over so we can control all ingredients and limit all cross contamination risks. . . ..  

OH and how could i forget the deviled eggs!!!  they are my DD very favorite!

OK - so interested to know - who uses mayo and who uses miracle whip? and where do you live???  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
5 minutes ago, jetladuke said:

Thanks everyone!  so happy to see everyone's menu.  This is our first gluten free Easter.  I am thinking:

• rotisserie beef tenderloin with a red wine reduction sauce (will thicken with corn starch or gluten-free flour)
  • green beans with mushroom sauce (i make a homemade bechmel sauce, don't worry i'll use gluten-free flour)
  • dessert is still up for debate. . . . .  we're also reduced lactose as my daughters small intestines are still healing (crossing fingers for some dairy soon)

we're inviting another family over so we can control all ingredients and limit all cross contamination risks. . . ..  

OK - so interested to know - who uses mayo and who uses miracle whip? and where do you live???  

Grew up on miracle whip...I use primal kitchen Avocado Mayo now in recipes...pairs well with siracha sauce >.>
You can do dairy based desserts with dairy alternatives, expensive but holidays are worth it. Kite Hill Makes a cream cheese that is pretty good (has xantham only down side). I have made a avocado mousse cake over almond meal pie crust and a pineapple and coconut cream frozen pie on a almond meal gram crust before. I think I posted the pina colada pie recipe. >.< I just started working on a new lemon scone recipe to make a sugar free low carb one...I was thinking doing cream cheese scones but in a effort to avoid that xantham gum.....keep a eye out doing a test tonight and will post the recipe if it taste good.

jetladuke Newbie

Yes - Holidays are worth extra cash on food!  I have been making yogurt in my instant pot with lactose free milk and when i drain it with cheese cloth i can make it about the same consistency as cream cheese.  it's really good.  Headed to google what's wrong with xantham gum. . .    I'll look for your pina colada pie recipe that sounds really good.  I am wondering if i could make a key lime pie with my lactose free yogurt. . .  mmmm  on a gluten-free gram cracker crust. .  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
3 hours ago, jetladuke said:

Yes - Holidays are worth extra cash on food!  I have been making yogurt in my instant pot with lactose free milk and when i drain it with cheese cloth i can make it about the same consistency as cream cheese.  it's really good.  Headed to google what's wrong with xantham gum. . .    I'll look for your pina colada pie recipe that sounds really good.  I am wondering if i could make a key lime pie with my lactose free yogurt. . .  mmmm  on a gluten-free gram cracker crust. .  

Yeah I make my own yogurt with nut milk, and extra nut butters to make it extra rich, thicken with coconut flour and add swerve sweetener (has a solvable fiber the probiotics love) sometimes I put in a protein powder, or konjac for them also then dump in 2x 50 billion nature way fortify and let it thicken up into yogurt over night. >.> I use the whole thing unstrained in smoothies with more protein powder. Done some odd ones like a avocado one....right now the brazil nut one is pretty epic.  PS, LorrAnn Oils makes Cream Cheese Extract that is dairy and gluten free....I add it to my yogurts, almond butters, icecream, dips, and even some meals for a cream cheese flavor.

Xantham gum is a emulsifier used in a ton of foods...it is made from black mold...often grown on corn...sort of a double whammy for me. Quite a few I know are intolerant to the stuff not must me...it seems to depend on what it was grown on, I can stomach it in a few products but the stuff they often use will cause me to be over the toilet within 30mins of eating it.

Seems I never posted that recipe just got it up https://www.celiac.com/blogs/entry/2509-pina-colada-pie/

jetladuke Newbie

thanks for the info - i need to work on making some nut milk yogurts. . . .  i myself have lactose issues and cow milk is really for baby cows. . .  ;) . I'll watch for xanthum gum, black mold - yuck!  i am sure my allergies aren't down with that.  

icelandgirl Proficient
On 3/24/2018 at 9:00 AM, LilyR said:

What does everyone like to make for a gluten-free Easter?  This is my first Easter where I can't have gluten.  It is changing some ideas I normally do.  Just last year I discovered these yummy little ham and swiss sliders using Kings Hawaiian rolls.  It has this sauce you make with Worcestershire and onion powder and butter.  I will miss those.  But I am thinking of trying to make them with a gluten-free bread, maybe.  It was the sauce that was extra special with it (okay, and the rolls...).  

I am sure there are ways to make a gluten-free carrot cake, but I can't eat gluten-free flour products with corn flour, brown rice flour, xantham gum, etc. so I probably will avoid things like that for now.  I am thinking of either making cheese cake (with no crust) or a flourless chocolate torte.  

I am hoping to find a gluten-free spiral ham. 

My husband is making these today for us....and if they are good, I could picture this being a nice holiday meal - gluten-free manicotti (just white rice flour, egg ,water, and salt in the crepe part) - Open Original Shared Link

I heard Jelly Belly jelly beans are gluten-free but haven't checked to see if they have soy or corn product. I am going to see if any old fashioned, regular pectin jelly beans are gluten-free, but not holding my breath.  There is a candy store in town that says they sell gluten-free truffles. I haven't checked them out yet or asked what other ingredients are in them. 

Deviled eggs (to use up all those colored Easter eggs), although I haven't checked to see if mayo has soy. I do use it once in a while. I have heard some mustards are not gluten-free (I normally like to put some Guldens spicy mustard in our deviled eggs, but heard that is not gluten-free, so might have to use some yellow French's mustard instead).  

How many years have you all been gluten-free?  Do you have some favorite Easter/Holiday recipes, or are you trying anything new this year? 

HI Lily...I just got an email from Canyon Bakehouse about their new sweet, Hawaiian bread and remembered you mentioning looking for a gluten-free alternative!  Not the exact same as the rolls, but might work.  Looks yummy!

LilyR Rising Star
19 hours ago, jetladuke said:

I am in NH and use mayo.  No one in our family will have anything to do with Miracle Whip.  But what is funny is growing up, my great-aunt used to do all the cooking in the family get-togethers.  And everyone loved her potato salad.  She let me in on her secret that she used  mayo, yes, but also a big giant scoop of Miracle Whip added to it.  So I sometimes do that now, and I have shared the secret ingredient with my daughter, but not even to my husband -yet.  There was always something special about my great-aunt sharing her secret with me, and it just being between the two of us.  And sure enough my husband always loves the potato salad.  I sometimes add a tiny bit of spicy mustard to it also, but not always.  I now have to find a gluten-free spicy mustard.  I heard Guldens and Grey Poupon are not claiming to be gluten-free, but haven't looked into it enough yet.  I should before Easter this weekend.  I usually add some also into our deviled eggs.  Anyone use any certain spicy mustards that they have good luck with?

LilyR Rising Star
15 hours ago, jetladuke said:

thanks for the info - i need to work on making some nut milk yogurts. . . .  i myself have lactose issues and cow milk is really for baby cows. . .  ;) . I'll watch for xanthum gum, black mold - yuck!  i am sure my allergies aren't down with that.  

Black mold?  What is that in???  Yikes!  Nut milk yogurts sound good.  

LilyR Rising Star
13 hours ago, icelandgirl said:

HI Lily...I just got an email from Canyon Bakehouse about their new sweet, Hawaiian bread and remembered you mentioning looking for a gluten-free alternative!  Not the exact same as the rolls, but might work.  Looks yummy!

Thank you for the link.  I checked the ingredients and why oh why does it have to have brown rice flour and xanthan gum?  I may look for it to try someday, just to see how I feel with it. But it seems xanthan gum does not do well with me, and neither does brown rice flour.  I seem okay with white rice flour.  But I am wondering once my stomach heals more if I can try things and maybe I won't be as sensitive.  I have no idea. I'll put this on my list to try someday.  I bet it has that yummy sweet bread flavor. Thanks for posting it. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Organicvile makes a gluten free spicy mustard, 

LilyR Rising Star
19 hours ago, icelandgirl said:

Definitely do the scalloped potatoes!  I am sure that your first gluten free Easter will be delicious and all of this gets easier the longer you do it!

Ya, I am really craving the scalloped potatoes the more I think about them, lol!  It was a delicious Thanksgiving and Christmas, gluten-free, so hopefully Easter will be too.  I hope to get some energy back soon so I can experiment more with desserts and baking.  But we'll figure something out for this year.  The cheesecake we made this winter was delicious, so if I can't find anything else, we'll do that.  And it will be good for me to not be munching on Easter candy anyway.  I try to think of that any time I can't eat something because of gluten. ;)

LilyR Rising Star
23 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Looks good and I love some of these, what I call retro recipes.  I can't remember whether it was corn starch or soy or something I recall being in Jello pudding that I am not sure if it will bother me or not. I might try it someday. I'll keep this recipe in mind. It looks good. Thanks for sharing it. 

LilyR Rising Star
16 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Yeah I make my own yogurt with nut milk, and extra nut butters to make it extra rich, thicken with coconut flour and add swerve sweetener (has a solvable fiber the probiotics love) sometimes I put in a protein powder, or konjac for them also then dump in 2x 50 billion nature way fortify and let it thicken up into yogurt over night. >.> I use the whole thing unstrained in smoothies with more protein powder. Done some odd ones like a avocado one....right now the brazil nut one is pretty epic.  PS, LorrAnn Oils makes Cream Cheese Extract that is dairy and gluten free....I add it to my yogurts, almond butters, icecream, dips, and even some meals for a cream cheese flavor.

Xantham gum is a emulsifier used in a ton of foods...it is made from black mold...often grown on corn...sort of a double whammy for me. Quite a few I know are intolerant to the stuff not must me...it seems to depend on what it was grown on, I can stomach it in a few products but the stuff they often use will cause me to be over the toilet within 30mins of eating it.

Seems I never posted that recipe just got it up https://www.celiac.com/blogs/entry/2509-pina-colada-pie/

I had no idea xanthan gum was black mold! Eww!  When I found out I couldn't have gluten, my dr warned me I might also need to avoid corn products, xanthan gum (which she told me was derived from corn - she never mentioned the mold, yuck!), that guar gum stuff, oats (even gluten-free ones), and soy.  Apparently those are all culprits to many who cannot tolerate gluten.  It sure does limit you even more though.  So many products have one or more of those ingredients.  You don't realize how  many items have either corn syrup, corn starch, soy, xantham gum.  I am still trying to figure out what bothers me.  It seems sometimes I can have a product that has a corn ingredient, like a little corn starch, and be okay. Other times I get bad bloat, like stomach distention.  But sometimes there can be overlapping ingredients. 

Thanks for the pina colada pie recipe. My daughter and I both love pina colada flavor. I tend to just skip crusts with the pies I've made so far.  Maybe I could fill little dishes with this and freeze them.   

LilyR Rising Star
17 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

Organicvile makes a gluten free spicy mustard, 

Thanks. I'll see if the stores have that, but I just went and saw it on amazon at least.  Looks like they have other tasty looking condiments to try also. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, LilyR said:

Thanks. I'll see if the stores have that, but I just went and saw it on amazon at least.  Looks like they have other tasty looking condiments to try also. 

OH Sir Kingstons was the one with the spicy brown mustard not organicville....most sir kingstons is free of corn and xantham if I recall. >.< They have a secret mayo sauce I used to get while back...might see about grabbing some if still safe.

Never heard of being told to avoid guar gum...stuff is from a root, and hypoallergenic. >.< Personally I prefer using konjac and psyllium husk for binders/emulsifier. Guar, and locust bean gums tend to seperate at high heats and lose effectiveness.  While konjac and psyllium tend to actually bind and thicken more to heat.

LilyR....I wish we were neighbors I need someone else who avoid gluten, corn, xantham, soy etc to meal share with....

LilyR Rising Star
19 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

OH Sir Kingstons was the one with the spicy brown mustard not organicville....most sir kingstons is free of corn and xantham if I recall. >.< They have a secret mayo sauce I used to get while back...might see about grabbing some if still safe.

Never heard of being told to avoid guar gum...stuff is from a root, and hypoallergenic. >.< Personally I prefer using konjac and psyllium husk for binders/emulsifier. Guar, and locust bean gums tend to seperate at high heats and lose effectiveness.  While konjac and psyllium tend to actually bind and thicken more to heat.

LilyR....I wish we were neighbors I need someone else who avoid gluten, corn, xantham, soy etc to meal share with....

Why do I always meet the nicest people I click with online who live far away?  ;)  We would actually have someone we could cook and dine with if we were neighbors.  

Thanks for the mention of Sir Kensington.  I just looked them up on amazon and even found ketchup by them - yay! Now that I am about to avoid literally all corn and soy (I've been dabbling), I am trying to see about some of the condiments I have still been using a little, on and off, but that have corn syrup or whatnot. I don't think I can do those at all anymore.  I need to at least try elimination 100% to see if it makes a difference.  But I love ketchup.  Being able to eat a burger with ketchup and making baked fries and having with ketchup is one thing I am grateful I can still eat on a gluten-free diet.  But that darn ketchup....! Why must so many items have corn syrup. I just wish gluten-free items were not so expensive.  I suppose it does take special care though to ensure gluten-free status, so I appreciate that at least some companies even bother doing it. I am sure it is a commitment and does cost more to produce.

Oh good - I just checked on their website with their store locator and it mentions two stores in town that are suppose to sell Sir Kensington products.  They look like they have a lot of tasty looking condiments.  Looks like they use even less sugar in the ketchup and I bet I'll like it even more than regular ketchup. I think most regular products always have too much sugar and salt. 

Archived