• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

i have been asking around bout if celiac people lost or gained weight or both after beggining the gluten free diet and i have been getting lots of different answers. i am a lil worryed about loosing weight cuz i think i dont weigh that much in the first place and i will be pretty unhealthy i think if i do loose weight. so hopefully i dont but if i do when should i start to loose or gaining weight? is it possible for me to not even loose ne weight at all? i am a lil worryed bout this subject and help would be greatly appriciated.

Joe Moe

I don't know exactly what it was, but since going gluten-free last September, I've put on 8 pounds. I think that if you are underweight now, chances are going gluten-free will help you put weight on. (I can't even say the 8 pounds in 8 months is from going gluten-free... I wasn't getting enough exercise...)

I gained 12 lbs. in a little more than a year after going gluten free. Tiffany's right, if you're underweight you're probably gonna gain weight by goin gluten-free. This makes sense too cuz your intestine will start to heal and absorb more of the foods that you're eating then before. Besides, if you're worried about losing too much weight, just eat more gluten free food. It's not like one of those weight watching diets where you have to watch all the calories you intake.

i have been asking around bout if celiac people lost or gained weight or both after beggining the gluten free diet and i have been getting lots of different answers. i am a lil worryed about loosing weight cuz i think i dont weigh that much in the first place and i will be pretty unhealthy i think if i do loose weight. so hopefully i dont but if i do when should i start to loose or gaining weight? is it possible for me to not even loose ne weight at all? i am a lil worryed bout this subject and help would be greatly appriciated.

Joe Moe

Let's say that you eat a sandwich and chips containg gluten for every meal. (I know that isnt likely) if you buy gluten free chips and gluten free bread for the sandwiches, and continue to eat them like you would if they had gluten, then your weight should be maintained like before. So basically, eat the same as you do now only with gluten-free foods and you should be fine. Keep in mind that if you are younger you are still growing and will continue to loose/gain weight as you hav growth spurts and such.

I highly doubt that you will lose any more weight. The majority--keyword being majority--of people who do lose weight are slighly overweight. Whereas the people who are underweight tend to actually gain weight. Why? Right now your body is not absorbing anything, not nutrients, not fat, so you are losing weight. But as your gut heals that will all go away, and should get up to a normal weight. Like me, I am overweight and at the time of my diagnosis clinically obese; therefore I lost weight. Hope this Helps! Congrats on starting to live Gluten-free! :)

MichaelJacksons#1Fan =D B)

To elaborate on MJ's#1fan post, the body seems to react in one of two ways. In the first example, it can't absorb nutrients because of damage to the gut and therefore loses weight, on and on. In the second, the body is more adaptive to nutrient loss. It reacts as though it were living in a time of famine and clings on to every calorie it can get and converts it to fat stores to last it through this period of deprivation. So you have one person unable to gain any weight, and another person unable to lose (and continues to gain) weight, because their bodies are responding differently to the same disease crisis.

Those who are the weight losers tend to gain weight back, and those who are gainers tend to lose, once a normal level of nutrition is established, so that a level of homeostasis is reached with regard to weight.