• Join our community!

    Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

  • Ads by Google:
     




    Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

    Ads by Google:



       Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

  • Announcements

    • Scott Adams

      Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   04/24/2018

      This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What is Celiac Disease and the Gluten-Free Diet? What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
6 6
shad

My Blood test came back Positive for celiac, very confused now

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I just joined this message board, there is a lot to read about celiac but i am very scared and there are so many unknowns. 

I am 35 and I have been experiencing stomach issues for the past 8 years. I have gone to a gastrointrologist a couple times, and every time i was sent home saying i have IBS! he did mention you can go on different diets to see how you feel but I never followed thru with it.  stomach Issues would come and go, for example my stomach would work great for a period of 4 months and then if i get food poisoning or something else goes wrong, it would be bad for the next 5 to 6 months. last summer I expericened weight loss and hair loss, and I eat a lot and i have been a very high energy person. I went to the doctor again and a Dermatologist, and he says the hair loss is due to recent stress. i didnt think of it too much and life went on. I should say that I travel a lot, around 6 months a year.  i felt really tired at times within the past 6 months tho, I would never fall asleep early but I have been sleeping early for the past few months. I noticed my hair is falling out more than before. This time when i got back home two weeks ago, i went to the doctor to do a physical. he tested me for everything including HIV, H C, ... iron defecency and list goes on, everything came back as ok. I told the doctor that I feel like no matter how much i eat the food is not being absorbed. He said, Let me just check you for Celiac too. 4 days a later the test comes back Positive. Now it's been 8 days since I got diagnosed. I have been Gluten Free since 8 days ago, but they want to do a Biopsy next Friday which is in 6 days, do i need to do the Biopsy? is the blood test not 100% accurate if it comes back as positive?  and if i am going to do the test next Friday, I should be eating normal again with lots of Gluten? 

 

I really scared and confused. I would hate to have a tube down my throat if it's not necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:


4 minutes ago, shad said:

I just joined this message board, there is a lot to read about celiac but i am very scared and there are so many unknowns. 

I am 35 and I have been experiencing stomach issues for the past 8 years. I have gone to a gastrointrologist a couple times, and every time i was sent home saying i have IBS! he did mention you can go on different diets to see how you feel but I never followed thru with it.  stomach Issues would come and go, for example my stomach would work great for a period of 4 months and then if i get food poisoning or something else goes wrong, it would be bad for the next 5 to 6 months. last summer I expericened weight loss and hair loss, and I eat a lot and i have been a very high energy person. I went to the doctor again and a Dermatologist, and he says the hair loss is due to recent stress. i didnt think of it too much and life went on. I should say that I travel a lot, around 6 months a year.  i felt really tired at times within the past 6 months tho, I would never fall asleep early but I have been sleeping early for the past few months. I noticed my hair is falling out more than before. This time when i got back home two weeks ago, i went to the doctor to do a physical. he tested me for everything including HIV, H C, ... iron defecency and list goes on, everything came back as ok. I told the doctor that I feel like no matter how much i eat the food is not being absorbed. He said, Let me just check you for Celiac too. 4 days a later the test comes back Positive. Now it's been 8 days since I got diagnosed. I have been Gluten Free since 8 days ago, but they want to do a Biopsy next Friday which is in 6 days, do i need to do the Biopsy? is the blood test not 100% accurate if it comes back as positive?  and if i am going to do the test next Friday, I should be eating normal again with lots of Gluten? 

 

I really scared and confused. I would hate to have a tube down my throat if it's not necessary. 

You need to I eat a couple of crackers worth of gluten a day until the endoscopy.  I don't think 8 days gluten-free will be a problem.  

It really depends on how " high" your blood work is.  Usually they like to do an endoscopy and a colonoscopy, just to make sure there are no other issues and see how bad the damage is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Standard is blood test then endoscope you can read up here https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/understanding-celiac-disease-2/diagnosing-celiac-disease/screening/
 

But looks like your probably have it, keeping eating gluten daily til testing done, might as well bucketlist your foods you will have to remove as with this disease you can not cheat, and while almost everything can be made gluten free now days, you will still surely miss eating out so see about knocking out those crazy meals you might have been wanting to try.

You can read up more on the transition here.
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/
And while a whole foods diet is suggested at first, with removal of dairy and oats here is a list of gluten free alternatives I have composed lessen your worries about stuff.
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/121148-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2018-q2/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just ate a bite or two of bread this morning. is that good enough for my test which is in 5 days? should I eat more gluten? 

my understanding (from what I have been reading) is that the blood test is pretty accurate if it comes positive tho.  it's less accurate if it is negative. 

is the endoscopy for biopsy or checking for damages or both? will it take a long time for Villi to heal back? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it's one entire slice of bread every day , maybe two.

The endoscopy is easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


The celiac blood tests are good, but not perfect.  Despite a decade of researchers trying to use just the celiac antibodies tests in order to avoid the endoscopy which is more invasive, the reality is that the British and American GI Associations and all the celiac centers in the world, still rely on the endoscopy for a firm diagnosis.  

There are reasons why the endoscopy may not be ordered.  You could be at death’s door and any procedure might kill you because you are so sick.  You might not have access to a GI.  You might not have insurance.  You might have very long wait times (e.g. areas in Canada).  

If you can, get it.  It can set a benchmark for celiac damage.  It can also discover that you might have another concurrent illness like cancer, SIBO, H. Pylori or Crohn’s.  Odds are that you do not have cancer, but it has happened to members.  

The villi can grow back in just a few weeks.  Typically symptoms can last longer usually because 1) there is a steep learning curve to the gluten-free diet and 2) damage can be systemic (e.g. neurological).  

Eat gluten.  Plenty.  Between my blood tests and endoscopy, I ate all my favorite gluten filled foods.  In reality one or 2 slices of bread,  (make it fresh sourdough with blobs of sweet butter, please) should be plenty.   My gluten fling,  was a fond farewell.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things i wish i was told when diagnosed:

Get an extensive vitamin panel done after you start your gluten free diet to see where you need supplements. You may have leaky gut.

Get a stool sample done to check your flora balance, you may need probiotics.

Check other genetic factors like vitamin converson MTHFR and B6, etc

Watch for dry stomach as well as acidic problems. Mine was dry and drs made it worse. All i needed was ginger tea with every meal not prilosec.

Watch for continued symptoms being food intollerences. I kept a food diary and linked all the foods still giving me gi upset after gluten free with foods i used to eat with gluten. I.e. pasta sauce, olive oil.

Realize many symptoms not gi may be malnutrition or healing of the gi vegas nerve, psychological as well as physical. In time, months or years things clear up.

Gluten free does not mean 100% gluten free. Get to know one ingredient foods and how use rice cookers, crock pots, instant cookers. Freezing food and having easy to grab foods are important to beat cravings and feelings of food fear.

Lastly hang in there and love yourself harder than ever. You are your own hero/heroine and your body is amazing at healing itself once gluten is gone. Stay tuned here the people are a priceless resource.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, pikakegirl said:

Gluten free does not mean 100% gluten free.

What?????? I think there must be a typo here. Gluten free DOES mean you need to be 100% gluten free; not 99%, not 98%, not 95%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone, I already feel better. I don't know if I have many symptoms or it's just that I'm not aware of them. I will eat more gluten for the next couple days , I was gluten free for only 8 days anyways, before that I used to eat at least 8 slices of bread a day. 

The main symptom that I have is my hair is falling out in bunches, but that could be due to male pattern baldness too I guess. It is falling a lot more in topthan the back. My stomach is usually fine too, it's only when I ate some specific foods like specific fruits or some dairy that ( milk rarely made my stomach upset) or some juices. But I did find it that I do have a very sensitive stomach compared to 10 years ago. I should also say I pretty much never vomit or never really feel nauseous  except if I get food poisoning . My stool is usually never hard tho , yet I don't get diarrhea neither. And if i get diarrhea it's one time and that's it. No rushing back to the bathroom. 

My family doc says my iron and b13 levels came back normal too, I'm taking some gluten free supplements since last week.

I really appreciate the help. I'll definitely do the endoscopy and get back to you with results next week 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, squirmingitch said:

What?????? I think there must be a typo here. Gluten free DOES mean you need to be 100% gluten free; not 99%, not 98%, not 95%.

I'm guessing but I think what she means is that foods tested gluten-free are supposed to be less than 20 PPM.  But less than 20 PPM is not the same as zero PPM.  So you can get some gluten even with tested gluten-free foods.  Then again, maybe I am putting words in pikelakegirl's mouth..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


13 minutes ago, GFinDC said:

I'm guessing but I think what she means is that foods tested gluten-free are supposed to be less than 20 PPM.  But less than 20 PPM is not the same as zero PPM.  So you can get some gluten even with tested gluten-free foods.  Then again, maybe I am putting words in pikelakegirl's mouth..?

Yes, I just figured it needed some clarification. Maybe pikakegirl will come back & do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, shad said:

Thanks everyone, I already feel better. I don't know if I have many symptoms or it's just that I'm not aware of them. I will eat more gluten for the next couple days , I was gluten free for only 8 days anyways, before that I used to eat at least 8 slices of bread a day. 

The main symptom that I have is my hair is falling out in bunches, but that could be due to male pattern baldness too I guess. It is falling a lot more in topthan the back. My stomach is usually fine too, it's only when I ate some specific foods like specific fruits or some dairy that ( milk rarely made my stomach upset) or some juices. But I did find it that I do have a very sensitive stomach compared to 10 years ago. I should also say I pretty much never vomit or never really feel nauseous  except if I get food poisoning . My stool is usually never hard tho , yet I don't get diarrhea neither. And if i get diarrhea it's one time and that's it. No rushing back to the bathroom. 

My family doc says my iron and b13 levels came back normal too, I'm taking some gluten free supplements since last week.

I really appreciate the help. I'll definitely do the endoscopy and get back to you with results next week 

You might find yourself surprised at things you thought were just normal actually weren't. I think most of us have had at least a few of those. 

Did you know that over 50% of dx'd celiacs did not present with GI issues? GI issues are not the only symptoms of celiac although most people believe that & you will see it repeatedly unto death on the internet. And then there are what are called "silent celiacs" who have no symptoms at all. 

BTW, that food poisoning you keep mentioning? It just might not be food poisoning; at least not in the general definition of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, squirmingitch said:

You might find yourself surprised at things you thought were just normal actually weren't. I think most of us have had at least a few of those.

This is something I wish that more people would consider. It's why it's so hard to get people tested who have less obvious symptoms. If you had asked me 4-5 years ago if I was in good health, I would have said yes without hesitation. I didn't seem to have any serious health problems, I was a high level athlete (how could I train/compete at a high level if I was not in optimal health?). Why would I think any different?

It took being gluten-free for a while for me to realize what being healthy actually felt like. For example, I didn't know what it was like to not have a stomach ache because I'd always had one. 20+ years of stomach ache! I had nothing to compare the feeling with. I only realized when my stomach stopped hurting that I'd never felt that good in my entire life. When it comes back due to accidental glutenings, I can't fathom how I functioned like this before.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops. Thanks GFunDC for saying what i meant. I should have typed gluten free food products are no guaranteed 100% gluten-free since up to 20ppm are allowed by law. I am silent celiac so i can not rely on symptoms to telk me i messed up. Therefore i am super careful to the point of never eating out or eating food i didnt prepare myself. Has worked great over 10 yrs so far. Sorry about the confusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pikakegirl said:

Oops. Thanks GFunDC for saying what i meant. I should have typed gluten free food products are no guaranteed 100% gluten-free since up to 20ppm are allowed by law. I am silent celiac so i can not rely on symptoms to telk me i messed up. Therefore i am super careful to the point of never eating out or eating food i didnt prepare myself. Has worked great over 10 yrs so far. Sorry about the confusion.

The internet is a great communication dis-abler. :)  Thanks for the clarification!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pikakegirl said:

Oops. Thanks GFunDC for saying what i meant. I should have typed gluten free food products are no guaranteed 100% gluten-free since up to 20ppm are allowed by law. I am silent celiac so i can not rely on symptoms to telk me i messed up. Therefore i am super careful to the point of never eating out or eating food i didnt prepare myself. Has worked great over 10 yrs so far. Sorry about the confusion.

Thanks for clarifying dear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 22/04/2018 at 9:58 PM, apprehensiveengineer said:

This is something I wish that more people would consider. It's why it's so hard to get people tested who have less obvious symptoms. If you had asked me 4-5 years ago if I was in good health, I would have said yes without hesitation. I didn't seem to have any serious health problems, I was a high level athlete (how could I train/compete at a high level if I was not in optimal health?). Why would I think any different?

It took being gluten-free for a while for me to realize what being healthy actually felt like. For example, I didn't know what it was like to not have a stomach ache because I'd always had one. 20+ years of stomach ache! I had nothing to compare the feeling with. I only realized when my stomach stopped hurting that I'd never felt that good in my entire life. When it comes back due to accidental glutenings, I can't fathom how I functioned like this before.

Very true, I think I have taken steps to think that a upset stomach is normal , many times I would play soccer with discomfort or go on a date being extremely bloated but I thought it's normal for people with IBS!

I have been eating a little bit of gluten for the past couple days. I feel a lot more tired than a few days ago and one day I slept 12 hours! 

When I went gluten free for 8 days , I felt like my energy level went up, I felt better and even my sex drive sky rocketed. Not sure if that 8 days really made a difference or it's just psychological or both.

I read a lot online about this condition and the more I read the scarier it gets. I guess my social life will never be the same. I can't travel freely anymore :-(

It seems this a very serious condition, but what I don't understand is that most people with celiac are never diagnosed so how do they live their entire life not knowing with such severe consequences

Right now I really looking forward to going back to a gluten free diet, my endoscopy is on Friday.

Edited by shad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP - I don't mean to complicate matters, but from my experience, an endoscopy won't necessarily detect celiac disease in all cases.

I tested positive via a blood test back in 2013 when I still had high levels of antibodies in my system, and I wasn't surprised because my symptoms were so specific - especially my abruptly dying tooth enamel. But when I finally got health insurance a few years later, I tested negative via the more invasive procedures.  Now doctors treat me like a hypochondrac merely because the biopsy came up negative. They make comments about my "lifestyle" and give me print-outs that include the recommendation to eat a balanced diet with lots of "healthy" whole grains.

I'd say that if you're eating gluten and have only been gluten-free for about a week, you shouldn't worry too much about a false negative. Apparently it isn't all THAT uncommon though, so I wanted to give you a heads-up in case that happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean I may come back negative because I was gluten free for a week? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2018 at 6:46 PM, squirmingitch said:

What?????? I think there must be a typo here. Gluten free DOES mean you need to be 100% gluten free; not 99%, not 98%, not 95%.

no... they meant the label may say gluten free, but the food may not be...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


17 hours ago, frieze said:

no... they meant the label may say gluten free, but the food may not be...

I doubt it. Just make sure you're continuing to eat gluten in the meantime.

I shouldn't have said anything - I'm horrifically sick and no doctor will believe me, and even a gastroenterologist had never heard of the tooth enamel defects and instead implied that I don't brush my teeth, so I tend to end up relating everything to my own bad experiences. Sorry about that.

Yeah though - false negatives aren't that uncommon, even with biopsies. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens though. I just wanted you to realize that if you do test negative, it isn't necessarily the be-all, end-all diagnosis.

On edit: I just noticed I quoted the wrong post. Oops. I was referring to OP's question, not the issue of gluten ppm in food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone

I'm still waiting for my biopsy results

I got a copy of my blood work tho and my ttg IgG is 25 and everything else seems to be in the normal range 

I can post a copy of it here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my results back and everything is negative.
Two weeks ago i was tested for celiac and the blood came back as 
IGA serum 3.5  range .69 to 3.82
DGA IGG SERUM 7. <10
DGA IGA 5 <10
TTG IGA 8 <20
TTG IGG. 25  < 20
      LESS THAN 20 NEGATIVE
      OVER 25 POSITIVE 
       20 TO 25 BORDERLINE

When I got my results above I immediately went gluten free, eating at home only. I was gluten free for around 10 days then I started to eat gluten again for 5 days prior to my endoscopy ( just one two slices of bread a day. 
The doctor who performed my endoscopy said my villi looks beautiful and no damage or inclination is present . 
The biopsy results came back as 
H pylori negative
And celiace negative

Notes of biopsy: 
No significant abnormalities
No antral type mucosa identified
Negative for intestinal metaplasia or dysplastic change 
Villous height is preserved, no active inflammation or parasites are seen

I have had a sensetive stomach for almost 8 years , not sure what kind of food causes it but I do get bad bloating and cramps all the time. Tho I don't recall once eating  a price of bread and feel sick after. It is usually food that is all mixed up for example If eat at a buffet I usually go to the bathroom right after within 45 min 
I'm a 35 year old male with a very active life style. How do those # s look like , I'm going off gluten regardless for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shad said:

I got my results back and everything is negative.
Two weeks ago i was tested for celiac and the blood came back as 
IGA serum 3.5  range .69 to 3.82
DGA IGG SERUM 7. <10
DGA IGA 5 <10
TTG IGA 8 <20
TTG IGG. 25  < 20
      LESS THAN 20 NEGATIVE
      OVER 25 POSITIVE 
       20 TO 25 BORDERLINE

When I got my results above I immediately went gluten free, eating at home only. I was gluten free for around 10 days then I started to eat gluten again for 5 days prior to my endoscopy ( just one two slices of bread a day. 
The doctor who performed my endoscopy said my villi looks beautiful and no damage or inclination is present . 
The biopsy results came back as 
H pylori negative
And celiace negative

Notes of biopsy: 
No significant abnormalities
No antral type mucosa identified
Negative for intestinal metaplasia or dysplastic change 
Villous height is preserved, no active inflammation or parasites are seen

I have had a sensetive stomach for almost 8 years , not sure what kind of food causes it but I do get bad bloating and cramps all the time. Tho I don't recall once eating  a price of bread and feel sick after. It is usually food that is all mixed up for example If eat at a buffet I usually go to the bathroom right after within 45 min 
I'm a 35 year old male with a very active life style. How do those # s look like , I'm going off gluten regardless for now. 

Well you probably just have food intolerance or sensitivities, keep a food diary. Also it could be a enzyme issue, try taking digestive enzymes with your food to break them down easier.
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/are-food-sensitivities-for-life
https://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Food-Diary
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/119919-digestive-enzymes/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will look into food alegies 

Does anyone know of a good lab in North America to test for alegies? 

Also my ttg IgG # is borderline high, should I be worried about that?

My IGA level is pretty normal tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

6 6

  • Who's Online   14 Members, 1 Anonymous, 387 Guests (See full list)

  • Top Posters +

  • Recent Articles

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 05/22/2018 - Proteins are the building blocks of life. If scientists can figure out how to create and grow new proteins, they can create new treatments and cures to a multitude of medical, biological and even environmental conditions.
    For a couple of decades now, scientists have been searching for a biological Rosetta stone that would allow them to engineer proteins with precision, but the problem has remained dauntingly complex.  Researchers had a pretty good understanding of the very simple way that the linear chemical code carried by strands of DNA translates into strings of amino acids in proteins. 
    But, one of the main problems in protein engineering has to do with the way proteins fold into their various three-dimensional structures. Until recently, no one has been able to decipher the rules that will predict how proteins fold into those three-dimensional structures.  So even if researchers were somehow able to design a protein with the right shape for a given job, they wouldn’t know how to go about making it from protein’s building blocks, the amino acids.
    But now, scientists like William DeGrado, a chemist at the University of California, San Francisco, and David Baker, director for the Institute for Protein Design at the University of Washington, say that designing proteins will become at least as important as manipulating DNA has been in the past couple of decades.
    After making slow, but incremental progress over the years, scientists have improved their ability to decipher the complex language of protein shapes. Among other things, they’ve gained a better understanding of how then the laws of physics cause the proteins to snap into folded origami-like structures based on the ways amino acids are attracted or repelled by others many places down the chain.
    It is this new ability to decipher the complex language of protein shapes that has fueled their progress. UCSF’s DeGrado is using these new breakthroughs to search for new medicines that will be more stable, both on the shelf and in the body. He is also looking for new ways to treat Alzheimer’s disease and similar neurological conditions, which result when brain proteins fold incorrectly and create toxic deposits.
    Meanwhile, Baker’s is working on a single vaccine that would protect against all strains of the influenza virus, along with a method for breaking down the gluten proteins in wheat, which could help to generate new treatments for people with celiac disease. 
    With new computing power, look for progress on the understanding, design, and construction of brain proteins. As understanding, design and construction improve, look for brain proteins to play a major role in disease research and treatment. This is all great news for people looking to improve our understanding and treatment of celiac disease.
    Source:
    Bloomberg.com

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 05/21/2018 - Just a year ago, Starbucks debuted their Canadian bacon, egg and cheddar cheese gluten-free sandwich. During that year, the company basked in praise from customers with celiac disease and gluten-sensitivity for their commitment to delivering a safe gluten-free alternative to it’s standard breakfast offerings.
    But that commitment came to an ignoble end recently as Starbucks admitted that their gluten-free sandwich was plagued by  “low sales,” and was simply not sustainable from a company perspective. The sandwich may not have sold well, but it was much-loved by those who came to rely on it.
    With the end of that sandwich came the complaints. Customers on social media were anything but quiet, as seen in numerous posts, tweets and comments pointing out the callous and tone-deaf nature of the announcement which took place in the middle of national Celiac Disease Awareness Month. More than a few posts threatened to dump Starbucks altogether.
    A few of the choice tweets include the following:  
    “If I’m going to get coffee and can’t eat anything might as well be DD. #celiac so your eggbites won’t work for me,” tweeted @NotPerryMason. “They’re discontinuing my @Starbucks gluten-free sandwich which is super sad, but will save me money because I won’t have a reason to go to Starbucks and drop $50 a week,” tweeted @nwillard229. Starbucks is not giving up on gluten-free entirely, though. The company will still offer several items for customers who prefer gluten-free foods, including Sous Vide Egg Bites, a Marshmallow Dream Bar and Siggi’s yogurt.
    Stay tuned to learn more about Starbucks gluten-free foods going forward.

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 05/19/2018 - Looking for a nutritious, delicious meal that is both satisfying and gluten-free? This tasty quinoa salad is just the thing for you. Easy to make and easy to transport to work. This salad of quinoa and vegetables gets a rich depth from chicken broth, and a delicious tang from red wine vinegar. Just pop it in a container, seal and take it to work or school. Make the quinoa a day or two ahead as needed. Add or subtract veggies as you like.
    Ingredients:
    1 cup red quinoa, rinsed well ½ cup water ½ cup chicken broth 2 radishes, thinly sliced 1 small bunch fresh pea sprouts 1 small Persian cucumber, diced 1 small avocado, ripe, sliced into chunks Cherry or grape tomatoes Fresh sunflower seeds 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar  Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper Directions:
    Simmer quinoa in water and chicken broth until tender.
    Dish into bowls.
    Top with veggies, salt and pepper, and sunflower seeds. 
    Splash with red wine vinegar and enjoy!

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 05/18/2018 - Across the country, colleges and universities are rethinking the way they provide food services for students with food allergies and food intolerance. In some cases, that means major renovations. In other cases, it means creating completely new dining and food halls. To document both their commitment and execution of gluten-free and allergen-free dining, these new food halls are frequently turning to auditing and accreditation firms, such as Kitchens with Confidence.
    The latest major player to make the leap to allergen-free dining is Syracuse University. The university’s Food Services recently earned an official gluten-free certification from Kitchens with Confidence for four of the University’s dining centers, with the fifth soon to follow.
    To earn the gluten-free certification from Kitchens with Confidence, food services must pass a 41 point audit process that includes 200 control check points. The food service must also agree to get any new food item approved in advance, and to submit to monthly testing of prep surfaces, to furnish quarterly reports, and to provide information on any staffing changes, recalls or incident reports. Kitchens with Confidence representatives also conduct annual inspections of each dining center.
    Syracuse students and guests eating at Ernie Davis, Shaw, Graham and Sadler dining centers can now choose safe, reliable gluten-free food from a certified gluten-free food center. The fifth dining center, Brockway, is currently undergoing renovations scheduled for completion by fall, when Brockway will also receive its certification.
    Syracuse Food Services has offered a gluten-free foods in its dining centers for years. According to Jamie Cyr, director of Auxiliary Services, the university believes that the independent Gluten-Free Certification from Kitchens with Confidence will help ease the anxiety for parents and students.”
    Syracuse is understandably proud of their accomplishment. According to Mark Tewksbury, director of residence dining operations, “campus dining centers serve 11,000 meals per day and our food is made fresh daily. Making sure that it is nutritious, delicious and safe for all students is a top priority.”
    Look for more colleges and universities to follow in the footsteps of Syracuse and others that have made safe, reliable food available for their students with food allergies or sensitivities.
    Read more.

    Zyana Morris
    Celiac.com 05/17/2018 - Celiac disease is not one of the most deadly diseases out there, but it can put you through a lot of misery. Also known as coeliac, celiac disease is an inherited immune disorder. What happens is that your body’s immune system overreacts to gluten and damages the small intestine. People who suffer from the disease cannot digest gluten, a protein found in grain such as rye, barley, and wheat. 
    While it may not sound like a severe complication at first, coeliac can be unpleasant to deal with. What’s worse is it would lower your body’s capacity to absorb minerals and vitamins. Naturally, the condition would cause nutritional deficiencies. The key problem that diagnosing celiac is difficult and takes take longer than usual. Surprisingly, the condition has over 200 identified symptoms.
    More than three million people suffer from the coeliac disease in the United States alone. Even though diagnosis is complicated, there are symptoms that can help you identify the condition during the early stages to minimize the damage. 
    Here is how you can recognize the main symptoms of celiac disease:
    Diarrhea
    In various studies conducted over years, the most prominent symptom of celiac disease is chronic diarrhea.
    People suffering from the condition would experience loose watery stools that can last for up to four weeks after they stop taking gluten. Diarrhea can also be a symptom of food poisoning and other conditions, which is why it makes it difficult to diagnose coeliac. In certain cases, celiac disease can take up to four years to establish a sound diagnosis.
    Vomiting
    Another prominent symptom is vomiting.  
    When accompanied by diarrhea, vomiting can be a painful experience that would leave you exhausted. It also results in malnutrition and the patient experiences weight loss (not in a good way though). If you experience uncontrolled vomiting, report the matter to a physician to manage the condition.
    Bloating
    Since coeliac disease damages the small intestine, bloating is another common system. This is due to inflammation of the digestive tract. In a study with more than a 1,000 participants, almost 73% of the people reported bloating after ingesting gluten. 
    Bloating can be managed by eliminating gluten from the diet which is why a gluten-free diet is necessary for people suffering from celiac disease.
    Fatigue
    Constant feeling of tiredness and low energy levels is another common symptom associated with celiac disease. If you experience a lack of energy after in taking gluten, then you need to consult a physician to diagnose the condition. Now fatigue can also result from inefficient thyroid function, infections, and depression (a symptom of the coeliac disease). However, almost 51% of celiac patients suffer from fatigue in a study.
    Itchy Rash
    Now the chances of getting a rash after eating gluten are slim, but the symptom has been associated with celiac disease in the past. The condition can cause dermatitis herpetiformis, which causes a blistering skin rash that occurs around the buttocks, knees, and elbows. 
    A study found out that almost 17% of patients suffering from celiac disease might develop dermatitis herpetiformis due to lack of right treatment. Make sure you schedule an online appointment with your dermatologist or visit the nearest healthcare facility to prevent worsening of symptoms.
    Even with such common symptoms, diagnosing the condition is imperative for a quick recovery and to mitigate the long-term risks associated with celiac disease. 
    Sources:
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov  Celiac.com ncbi.nlm.nih.gov  mendfamily.com