Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
StephanieO’Malley

Mind blown!

Rate this topic

For 31 years I have suffered from constipation. I would literally not pass stool for weeks at a time. The doctors kept telling me “drink more water” and “eat more fruits and vegetables” and I complied without success. It had recently gotten so bad that I had to take 3 x-lax tabs per every week or so to defecate. 

2 months ago I got food poisoning and as I was attempting to add solid food back into my diet, I would get extremely bloated and nauseous. It would only happen when I ate bread and crackers. I finally put two and two together and started an experimental gluten-free diet. 

I POOPED EVERY DAY!!!! After spending 31 years full of sh&t, I was dumbfounded! ? my daughter had the same symptoms as me so we both are now gluten free and doing AMAZING!

After doing more research I just can’t believe how horrible gluten really is. For 16 years I have been on 2 very high doses of antidepressants at a time and benzodiazepines for anxiety. I am now only on 1 antidepressant and am contemplating slowly tapering off if I get the courage to do so (I have had bad experiences) 

The rash that I got when I was in my mid-twenties and that has flared up intermittently, was thought to be peri-oral dermatitis, I am now positive was Dermatitis Herpetiformus. 

I feel so in control and sharp witted! I am so happy I feel as if a light bulb has just been switched on. 

Needless to say, I will never go back to eating gluten and I feel so blessed to have finally discovered the truth.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

So happy for you. I had very bad 1 time a week bm and sane advice. Drs also put me on antidepressants , antipstchotics and benzidiazepines. They neither work or made me physically dependant. Now i am only on thyroid supplement and vitamins. I as diagnosed at 39. If you have any problems getting off meds read The Ashtin manuel regarding 30 years research on withdrawl from anti anxiety meds. Www.benzos.uk.org

Yeah normally we would suggest getting tested, but you have to be eating gluten daily for 12 weeks to be tested. If you just got off less then a few weeks ago you can still be tested for celiac.
https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/understanding-celiac-disease-2/diagnosing-celiac-disease/screening/
I had many symptoms, but constipation used to be a huge one. 2-3 days most of my life was the standard between BM. Right up to dia. I was getting up to 11 days between BM. Constipation in celiacs if often caused by magnesium deficiency. Look up Natural Vitality Calm and try supplementing it. 1/4tsp (1-2g) starting and up 1/4tsp a day til you get the full dose OR dose to tolerance by upping it that much til you get loose stools then back down a 1/4 or so. Low magnesium can have neurological effects, mood effect, joint, and nerve issues also. Compounded more by spectrum B-vitamins.

I sort of laugh at the exlax thing, I got so desperate some times I recall in highschool trying to eat a entire package of those chocolate exlax with 2 whole bars (not the pieces the whole bar) and no bowl movement til the next day. Enemas did nothing. I found the only thing back then was the fizzy laxatives in the glass bottles....it worked for a nice good BM...hindsight those were full of magnesium citrate, the same thing that Natural Vitality Calm has.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering