This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Leaky gut celiac and dairy allergy

Kylebailey1994

Kylebailey1994 Rookie

Hey everyone, so im kind of in a jam here.  I do not have celiac but this was the only place where I think I can get good guidance. Anyways, I have a pretty bad leaky gut. It developed from a concussion I got a few years ago.  What I've been trying to do to help it is cut out all dairy and gluten.  I never reacted to dairy or gluten but I guess it can cause inflammation in the stomach and one not even know it.  The only thing is, I've lost some weight and muscle and i was already at a healthy weight and build.  I've made sure I've been eating enough calories but that isn't helping.  

Then, I tried to add them back into my diet, and I started reacting for the first time ever!  I don't really know what to do.  Should I avoid these foods to heal leaky gut even though I never had any noticeable symptoms and just deal with the decrease in weight and muscle? I was pretty stocky in a good way but this diet is making me scrawny.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Funny thing about dairy, many that have intolerance/sensitivity to it, do not notice the issues until they remove it and then try to get back on....this is a obvious sign it is not good for you and is called a dairy challenge.

Keeping weight on, try adding protein shake snack to sip on during the day, and snacking on nut butters like almond butter just a  spoon of it between meals. Snack bag of nuts or cocoa nibs also work in great.  Pumpkin Seed protein is high in iron, zinc, and protein and great for muscle recovery, and vegan blends like MRM Veggie Elite and Nutra-Key VPro work better for many, mix with like silk unsweetened coconut milk or some other nut milk in a shaker bottle and sip on it during the day. Take BCAAs to preserve muscle mass and force your body to burn fat for fuel instead.
Digestive enzymes and probiotics can help you maximize your nutrient absorption of the food you eat and ease digestion, try them also.

Lakergirl7491 Rookie
On 5/13/2018 at 3:51 PM, Kylebailey1994 said:

Hey everyone, so im kind of in a jam here.  I do not have celiac but this was the only place where I think I can get good guidance. Anyways, I have a pretty bad leaky gut. It developed from a concussion I got a few years ago.  What I've been trying to do to help it is cut out all dairy and gluten.  I never reacted to dairy or gluten but I guess it can cause inflammation in the stomach and one not even know it.  The only thing is, I've lost some weight and muscle and i was already at a healthy weight and build.  I've made sure I've been eating enough calories but that isn't helping.  

Then, I tried to add them back into my diet, and I started reacting for the first time ever!  I don't really know what to do.  Should I avoid these foods to heal leaky gut even though I never had any noticeable symptoms and just deal with the decrease in weight and muscle? I was pretty stocky in a good way but this diet is making me scrawny.

I have leaky gut (along with Celiac Disease) and my nutritionist put me on a leaky gut diet. I think it's similar to the AIP diet which includes bone broth, eating liver, not eating any grain or dairy.  It was also recommended that I do an elimination diet to find out what other foods bothered me.  I know that it's very important to heal your gut as it can lead to all kinds of problems later on. I agree once you try to add food back into your diet and you suffer from it, it's time to leave it out.  Best of luck

Archived