This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Regaining a normal life

Dunnie

Dunnie Newbie

Hello all. I've been living with celiac for about 4 years now. I'm a type 1 diabetic and as mentioned have celiac. I have not followed the diet, never really feeling the effects until the past year. I'e always been in decent shape, but realized I was losing weight in such a way that I look malnutritioned. After trying my best to push weights, and do pushups, I realized I am the weakest I've ever been. I'm 22 and feel like I have the strength of a 14 year old. 

Is this the end? I want to dedicate my self to the diet, but feel like at this point there is no use.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Now, think of it like this, you lost the  weight you have no fat...now if you put muscle on that frame you would look awesome. I have been body building with celiac past few years. I use a hight fat/protein diet, hardly any carbs (my UC flares to carbs/sugars) almost a keto diet. The high fat/protein diet will be great for managing your diabetes. If you need help, I have found low glycemic breads, and even make cakes that my diabetic parents can eat without spiking glucose. These make for nice treats to help motivate you. I use vegan protein powders between meals in a shake of nut milks, nut butters, etc (non diary as with celiac your will not be able to break  down dairy well at first with damaged villi and lack of enzymes) between meals.
I am lean, with decent muscle coming on, I do resistance training, and some weight work and am 28. I went gluten free over 5 years ago now, I was scoped a bit over a year ago to find most of my small intestines had healed. SO there is hope. I can help you find stuff if you would like and give more suggestions on supplements etc. I am not a doctor and everyone is  different in the way they metabolize foods but perhaps we can build a idea diet and regime to help you out?

PS. Important thing now is to go 100% gluten free and start your healing, start slow with your training, resistant bands are great. As you heal you will absorb more nutrients and start putting on muscle mass, and step up your regime from there. As a Type 1 your not going to be able to go completely ketogenic and will have to closely monitor your blood sugar, I suggest constant snacking on lower glycemic higher protein foods like nuts, eggs, protein smoothies with added fiber, but again consult a nutritionist or doctor to your specific needs. Read up on the newbie 101 thread and clean out your kitchen of gluten foods, glutened cookware, and contaminated condiment jars from double dipped knifes/spoon. Drop dairy and oats as many have issues with them. If you crave bread check out stuff liek Julian Bakery, and KNOW foods they make low carb diabetic friendly breads for those "cravings" Mikey muffins makes great English muffins that low low gylcemic, and califlour foods makes a plant based pizza crust that you can have all kinds of fun with in the kitchen. See not that hard or depressing with food eh? Omelettes, sausage, eggs, avocado toast, english muffins, soups, stews, etc with all the above. Easy sheet pan meals and crock pot meals lining your pans with foil or your crock pot with a liner and clean up is a breeze with easy prep. You got this, cook for my diabetic parents and run a bakery that does low carb breads and cakes for some of my diabetic customers all grain and gluten free.
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

GFinDC Veteran

Hi dunnie,

Celiac damage can impair our gut's ability to absorb nutrients.  Nice things like vitamins, minerals, fats and sugars may not get absorbed well.  Our bodies tend to work better when it gets the nutrients it needs.  Without those neato things our bodies cells can't work well and heal themselves.  We may be tired since our cells are starving for nutrients, even though we eat lots of food.

Going gluten-free is a bit of a challenge, but the rewards for a person with celiac are great.  Our guts can begin to heal.  They can begin to absorb the nutrients we need again.  The immune system can settle down and attack other things besides our bodies.

These are not overnight changes though.  It can take months for a person to recover from celiac damage.  The immune system doesn't stop attacking instantly.  But once it does and your gut is working right again, you may find you are feeling much, much better than you are used to feeling.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi dunnie,

Celiac damage can impair our gut's ability to absorb nutrients.  Nice things like vitamins, minerals, fats and sugars may not get absorbed well.  Our bodies tend to work better when it gets the nutrients it needs.  Without those neato things our bodies cells can't work well and heal themselves.  We may be tired since our cells are starving for nutrients, even though we eat lots of food.

Going gluten-free is a bit of a challenge, but the rewards for a person with celiac are great.  Our guts can begin to heal.  They can begin to absorb the nutrients we need again.  The immune system can settle down and attack other things besides our bodies.

These are not overnight changes though.  It can take months for a person to recover from celiac damage.  The immune system doesn't stop attacking instantly.  But once it does and your gut is working right again, you may find you are feeling much, much better than you are used to feeling.

Wheatwacked Veteran

Good advice from Ennis and GFinGC. Many years ago the health industry ridiculed Linus Pauling for proposing that high doses of vitamin C was beneficial to health, in particular in speeding recovery from the common cold. In the eighties they proved that zinc lozenges stops the common cold and flu viruses practically in their tracks. B5 helps peripheral neuropathy. D3 can reverse sadness and depression in high enough dose. Iodine is necessary for apoptosis (killing off of defective or diseased cells) and muscle tone and energy. I've read that one tablespoon of wheat converts to the equivilant of one tablespoon of sugar. How can that be good for a diabetic, type 1 or type 2. Now there are claims of a type 3.

Malabsorbtion Syndrome is co-morbid with Celiac Disease. 

Archived