This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Low red blood cell count-- is it celiac disease related?

gary006

gary006 Rookie

I just had blood work done.  The results showed 29 abnormalities-- all associated with the face my red blood cell count is about half of the required norm.  Also, my ankles and feet are swollen and legs are very sore.  I am waiting for the results of a bone density test and also a vascular ultrasound test on my lower body.  Any one else ever experience this?  I feel totally wiped.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
5 minutes ago, Gary Gerard said:

I just had blood work done.  The results showed 29 abnormalities-- all associated with the face my red blood cell count is about half of the required norm.  Also, my ankles and feet are swollen and legs are very sore.  I am waiting for the results of a bone density test and also a vascular ultrasound test on my lower body.  Any one else ever experience this?  I feel totally wiped.

Do you have celiac disease?  

A low blood count can be attributed to many things, but it can be a result of celiac disease (it is a possibility, e.g. iron-deficiency).  There are over 200 symptoms for celiac disease, so it is hard to say.  

gary006 Rookie
11 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Do you have celiac disease?  

A low blood count can be attributed to many things, but it can be a result of celiac disease (it is a possibility, e.g. iron-deficiency).  There are over 200 symptoms for celiac disease, so it is hard to say.  

Yes, I have celiac disease, sorry for not mentioning this, I was diagnosed twenty years ago

cyclinglady Grand Master

When was the last time antibodies for celiac disease and/or biopsies were checked (to determine if your celiac disease is active)?  This can help your doctor rule out celiac disease as the cause for your low red blood cells.  

I had two different anemias when I was initially diagnosed (one is genetic and not related to celiac disease).  I can relate to that wiped out feeling.  It sounds like your doctor is on the right path.  

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Gary,

If you are low on iron it can take months to build up more red blood cells and hemaglobin.   I think they say iron is better absorbed by taking some vitamin C with it also.

They sometimes say to eat spinach if you have low iron.  But it is probably more helpful to use a cast iron cooking skillet.

Open Original Shared Link 

Researchers separated the blood donors into two groups based on their iron levels: a lower iron and a higher iron group.  Half of each group was randomized to take one tablet of ferrous gluconate (38 mg of low dose iron) daily for 24 weeks following their blood donation. Hemoglobin and iron levels were measured seven times during the study. Compared to donors who did not take iron, the donors taking iron supplements returned to pre-donation hemoglobin levels faster in both the lower iron (five weeks versus 23 weeks) and higher iron groups (four weeks versus 11 weeks). Similarly, donors taking iron supplements recovered lost iron more rapidly than those not receiving supplements (11 weeks versus more than 24 weeks). Without iron supplementation, two thirds of the donors did not recover the iron lost from donating blood after 24 weeks.

trents Grand Master

Gary,

You say you were Dx with Celiac Disease 20 years ago. Are you being compliant with the celiac disease gluten free diet? You did not mention that.

I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 15 years ago. One of my blood abnormalties was low iron levels. I started taking an iron supplement and still do. My iron levels are now normal. The supplement I use is Ferrous Sulfate with 60 mg of elemental iron and I take it daily. Yes, vitamin C taken with an iron supplement does improve the absorption. Iron supplementation can be irritating to the stomach and so some people don't tolerate it well. There are buffered or "chelated" forms of iron supplements that cause the release of the iron to be slowed down. This can really help reduce stomach irritation.

As others have said, many medical conditions that can cause anemia. One of them is "pernicious" anemia in which your body doesn't produce something called "intrinsic factor", something that is necessary for the absorption of B12 into the body. It's kind of an enzyme I think. Lack of B12 and also lack of folic acid in the diet or poor uptake of them can cause iron deficiency.

If you take an iron supplement you should have follow up lab work done after a time to make sure blood iron levels don't get too high as iron overload can damage organs.

gary006 Rookie

Thanks everyone for all your responses.  My GP is setting up an immediate colonoscopy and an ( i cannot think of the other one, but its the scope down the throat).  Immediate meaning sometime in June.  And for now has prescribed a ferrous fumarate called Euro-Fer.  Each tablet contains 300 mg of ferrous fumarate and he wants me taking two a day.  Then in three weeks getting my blood checked again.  First thing he asked me is if I am bleeding out anywhere, which I said 'no' to.  The 'too much iron levels can damage the organs' does concern me and I had not been aware of that before.  The DR did say my iron levels reported as fine on the blood work, which is why he asked about any ongoing external bleeding.  But then he still prescribes an iron supplement?  If there was internal bleeding, would it not eventually show up somewhere or place and alert me to that?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

What is your ferritin level (iron stores)?  You have to consume a lot of iron to be toxic.  I think it just needs to be stressed that no one should take iron (beyond what is found in a multi-vitamin) without periodic lab tests.  

Again, it sounds like your doctor is trying to rule out celiac disease or internal bleeding as the cause of your anemia.  

RMJ Mentor

There are three main things that can lead to a low red cell count.  Not making enough red cells, bleeding, or body destroying its own red cells.  Of course each of those can have many causes.  Sounds like your doc will be looking for intestinal bleeding.

Archived