This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help with Suntan Lotion

Jen1104

Jen1104 Contributor

Hey everyone,

Can you guys please help me find suntan lotion that is gluten-free?

I'm needing lotion for my face that is scent-free or light scent as I'm sensitive to fragrances, and preferably on the cheaper side (but any suggestions are welcome!)

Thanks for your help

Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tessa25 Rising Star

I buy Proactiv 30 moisturizer. Probably not cheap, but no scent. Perfume gives me a headache.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Open Original Shared Link

They also make a face applicator stick, fragrance and gluten free. I think they even make a more natural one.

Jen1104 Contributor

Thanks Tessa for the suggestion.  I'll look into it.  I used to use Proactiv.  Is that 30 spf?  I probably need something 50 spf or higher.  I tend to burn.  Perfume makes me sick and headachy too.

Jen1104 Contributor

Thanks Ennis.  Haven't heard of that brand but will check it out!

Maggie C Newbie

I use California Baby. Unscented. I break out in a rash with everything else. Found On Amazon. Or in Whole Foods or some other random sites. It has Natural ingredients. Works well. But not cheap. 

tessa25 Rising Star
6 hours ago, Jen1104 said:

Thanks Tessa for the suggestion.  I'll look into it.  I used to use Proactiv.  Is that 30 spf? 

Yes, 30spf

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

apprehensiveengineer Community Regular

I use Sun Bum, which is labelled gluten-free in the US and is widely available/inexpensive. They have many different products (sport, normal, spray, lip balm) and strengths (30, 50). I am a redhead, so I wear a lot of sunblock and care very much that it is gluten-free as I wear it while exercising outdoors on a daily basis (ie. face sweat drips into my mouth!).

There is some fragrance in this line unfortunately. For what it's worth, fragrances sometimes bother me, but this brand seems fine for me. Your mileage may vary of course, depending on what specific aspect of the nebulous "fragrances" range of ingredients is problematic for you.

pikakegirl Enthusiast

I use Vanicream sunscreen spf30 fragrance free but it is thick. Have also used Shiseido spf50 fragrance free for sensitive skin which is lite but expensive.

Jen1104 Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

I just found Sun Bum and like it for body but it's a bit of a strong fragrance for the face!  I'll look into Cal Baby and Shiseido.

Any other favorites, please share.

I put spf 50 on today and burned a bit, think I need something higher!  Not sure what happened to the tan I used to be able to get.  Seems I'm overly sensitive to the sun!

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Found this recently....looks like a nice natural one and a higher SPF, I like the oil blends it uses as they seem familiar like the ones i use in my body washes Jojoba, Shea, Eucalyptus, Coconut, etc. Wonder if it makes you ghost white like some other natural ones I have found? Open Original Shared Link

Jen1104 Contributor

Hey Ennis,

Looks like a good lotion being gluten-free and more natural.  Yeah, who likes the ones that turn you ghostly white?!  Not a good look for anybody.

I wonder if there are any safe OTC lotions that you can buy at Walmart, etc?  It'd be nice to smell before buying as my nose is sooo sensitive!

cyclinglady Grand Master

I use the Wal-Mart brand Equate for body sunscreen.  It is a chemical sunscreen and had a very high rating per Consumer Reports.  I use a non-chemical sunscreen (the white look), like Eucerin or Banana Boat Babies,  on my face.  If it runs into my eyes on a bike ride, it does not sting.  I also add old-fashioned zinc oxide (white) on my nose and cheeks when surfing.  It comes in colors now and our water polo team uses it.  It makes them look like the warriors that they are!  ?

Follow the directions on the bottle.  Most people do not use enough to provide protection.  

Consider investing in swim shirts (rash guards) and hats for extra protection.  

disgruntledceliac Explorer

I see a lot of gluten free lists include Thinksport Safe Sunscreen SPF 50+. Their ingredients include Tocopherols (Vitamin E). Does anyone know if they derive this from a wheat source, or if they use something more gluten-free friendly? I've emailed the company, but was hoping someone here might already know the answer.

kareng Grand Master
26 minutes ago, disgruntledceliac said:

I see a lot of gluten free lists include Thinksport Safe Sunscreen SPF 50+. Their ingredients include Tocopherols (Vitamin E). Does anyone know if they derive this from a wheat source, or if they use something more gluten-free friendly? I've emailed the company, but was hoping someone here might already know the answer.

I don't work dry about the tocopherol.  The fact is that, on the slight chance it is made from wheat, the protein is removed.  And the amount of the oil in the sunscreen is very small.

"Keep in mind that most vitamin E appears to be derived from soybean oil and most edible oil in the U.S. is highly refined. Even if unrefined wheat germ oil is the source of vitamin E, the amount of protein in an ingredient that is extracted from oil is likely very low. Furthermore, the amount of vitamin E added to a personal care product is likely low and the amount of a non-food item you are likely to ingest even lower."

Open Original Shared Link

Archived