• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

traveljunkie

Anyone Take Digestive Enzymes?

Rate this topic

I've recently started taking enzyme supplements after researching low stomach acid, and it's role in food allergies/intolerances. I'm not taking them so I can eat gluten products...just to be clear on that. However, I do think they may be helpful with other food intolerances.

Any recommendations, or experience you want to share? Thanks everyone! :)

Charlene :)

I take them always...even with snacks.

I've recently started taking enzyme supplements after researching low stomach acid, and it's role in food allergies/intolerances. I'm not taking them so I can eat gluten products...just to be clear on that. However, I do think they may be helpful with other food intolerances.

I take them with every meal. I take 2 Vibrazyme complex by Natural Creations every morning on an empty stomach. I take another enzyme product after every meal.

Enzymes I take daily:

SOURCE NATURALS Bio Align Daily Essential Enzymes

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1111.html

Kirkman Labs DPP-IV Forte (Dipepdidyl/peptidase IV Analog) Digestive Enzyme Supplement

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/enzyme...60_Spec230.html

I include Co-Q10, because it facilitates the activities of enzymes:

Jarrow FORMULAS Coenzyme Co-Q10, 30 mg

http://www.Lame Advertisement.com/cq30.html

with protein+fat meals eg. sausages take Jarrow zymes plus (3 caps hi-lipase pancreatic based) - take just before the protein with liquid eg. watery soup or vege juice

eat some veges with Houston brand "No Phenol" - fiber/yeast digesting zyme

during protein munch, papaya + bromelain + Houston brand "Peptizyde" - all proteases

with carb meals Houston "Zyme Prime" OR Garden of Life Omega Zyme + "No Phenol".

I use the bulk powder form of No Phenol, Omega Zyme, Peptizyde and ZymePrime - i find powder mixed with food works better than caps for me.

with carb+fat meals I take Prevail hi-lipase formula as well as the amylases i mentioned above.

every thing i mentioned with exception of Jarrow zymes plus are plant based zymes. the Jarrow formula is pancreatin from pigs. The reason is that the pancreatin seems to stimulate stomach acid in me - good for protein bad for carbs.

they help my slow moving stomach enormously - timing and food combinations make a huge difference as does taking a sufficient quantity of zymes. I don't combine carb and protein into one meal which makes life complicated but i get much better digestion. My stomach seems to cope with fat combos though.

Thank you for the responses. Celiachap, I'm going to look into the enzymes you posted.

Do you find that they really help?Charlene

Hi Charlene,

Well, I don't know since I've been taking them since last summer, and went gluten-free in March '05. I did gain about 15 lbs., and have more energy. It's an incredible change, but I think that 99 percent of the improvements are due to going gluten-free. I don't beleive that most people need enzyme supplements, but we are different in many ways and need help until we are healed, and maybe even beyond the initial restoration of villi and so forth.

I am going for a visit to a doctor at the celiac center at Colombia U. in NYC in a couple of weeks, to get a battery of tests.

I'll post the results here as soon as they are available.

Guest nini

I use a digestive enzyme formula from Market America, it is in the Isotonix line, it's a powder that you mix with a small amt. of water and drink. I also use their B vitamin supplement...

Ok. Im new to all of this, whats an enzyme and why would you need to take one? Does it help break down your food or something??

Hi Jessica,

Some people don't have enough enzymes to digest fats, carbohydrates, protein, etc. It can be caused by illness, pancreatic problems or aging. Symptoms are often food allergies/intolerances, because the body doesn't have the ability to properly digest food. So, the body attacks the undigested food particles thinking it's a foreign substance, this can lead to all kinds of problems. Just google "symptoms of low enzymes." Some people find supplements helpful with digestion.

Hope that helps somewhat! Good luck with your endoscope on thursday! :)

Charlene

Yes I started taking them about a month ago. They seem to help with the bloating and gas I get after eating anything. I also heard it is good to take a probiotic as well.

Yes I started taking them about a month ago. They seem to help with the bloating and gas I get after eating anything. I also heard it is good to take a probiotic as well.

Actually, I believe that you can either take a digestive enzyme or if in a pinch, eat some raw pineapple or papaya as they contain pretty powerful protoelytic enzymes (Bromelain/papain). Aging does affect enzyme levels and I have read that Celiac's is also a disorder which presents lowered enzyme levels.

As for probiotics, it is an awesome supplement and is undergoing some pretty intensive research right now for disorders ranging from allergies and asthma, to cancer and even arthritis. Some researchers have even been debating on whether to define probiotics as another organ in the human body or as a superorganism since none of us could live without them in our intestinal tract.

I have seen medical studies where probiotics worked well in healing ulcerative colitis and I have also read articles which suggest that probiotics may replace some antibiotics in mainstream medicine within the next 15 years. Depending on your eating habits, they can be taken every day or even as little as one week out of the month (for those on organic and whole-food based diets). I also have used them for suspected food poisoning. One dose every 30 minutes until diarrhea stops....it took 2 doses. Works great on flus and colds too.

Sorry to ramble, probiotics is just one of those topics for me :D