This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Losing my mind

deep pressin

deep pressin Newbie

I'm so tired of everything. I can't enjoy food anymore. I can't go out to eat. I can't gain weight. I can't find motivation. I can't afford everything that comes with this disease. I want to scream as hard as i possibly can until i feel better. My mom is too poor to afford the expensive gluten free food. Every night i eat rice with chicken and brocolli. I can't do it anymore. I can't talk to anyone about my disease because no one understands. I wish i could just stop existing so my suffering could finally stop. Edit: thank you all for your suggestions and kind words, i'm going to tell my mom about all the foods you suggested 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! :)

You may be surprised to hear that eating foods like rice and veggies and meats is actually a very good way to start the gluten-free diet.  I don't know if you are old enough to cook your own food yet, but maybe you can give your mom some other meal ideas.

We generally suggest people not eat all the expensive processed gluten-free baked goods for the first few months of the gluten-free diet.  That is because they can be hard to digest and cause bloating due to the high carbs and sugars.  It's much better and you'll heal faster not eating that kind of thing.

It's also good to stop eating dairy for a few months until your gut can heal and start making the enzymes to digest lactose again.

Being sick is not easy and the lack of vitamin and minerals being absorbed can cause depression effects IMHO.  You may feel much better in 6 months.

Meats, veggies, nuts, eggs and fruits are good for you and they don't cost any more for us than other people pay.  They are really the best diet for anyone.  It does take some time to adjust to eating differently from other people though.  But it's necessary because the gluten-free diet is a medical diet.  The gluten-free diet is the only treatment for celiac disease.

I hope you feel better soon. 

kareng Grand Master
23 minutes ago, deep pressin said:

I'm so tired of everything. I can't enjoy food anymore. I can't go out to eat. I can't gain weight. I can't find motivation. I can't afford everything that comes with this disease. I want to scream as hard as i possibly can until i feel better. My mom is too poor to afford the expensive gluten free food. Every night i eat rice with chicken and brocolli. I can't do it anymore. I can't talk to anyone about my disease because no one understands. I wish i could just stop existing so my suffering could finally stop.

Not to make fun of this but - maybe switch out the broccoli for green beans?  Broccoli every night is no fun!  

Seriously, while it might be nice to have gluten-free pasta or bread or crackers - there are so many naturally gluten-free foods you could eat.  Add BBq sauce to that chicken.  Eat a different meat.  Pork is cheap.  Try other veggies and fruit.  Use corn tortillas and some salsa and cheese and turn that chicken into a taco or nachos.  

Last night we had chicken I browned in a pan and  then added canned beans, frozen or canned corn (canned hominy is a fun change), can of Rotel tomatoes, shredded carrots, a bell pepper, put on rice and added a little cheese on top.  

You can make stir fry with gluten-free soy sauce - there are some main stream ones out there..  Add your own seasonings like orange juice, garlic, cayenne pepper, etc  Serve it over asian rice noodles.

chili, soups, - easy to make gluten-free.  

Maybe the money you save by not eating out could be used to buy some pasta or Canyon Bakehouse bread or cookies

tessa25 Rising Star

Maybe give your mom some safe food ideas like potatoes with butter, cheese and bacon.  Potatoes, ham and cabbage can be boiled in a pot if you can have those things.

If you're 16 you can get a part time job and buy some gluten free equivalents like pasta and bread.

kareng Grand Master

Here is a yummy and easy cookie recipe.  does not require any special and expensive flour.

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients
·  1 cup creamy peanut butter (chunky would be good, too)
·  1/2 cup granulated sugar 
·  1/2 cup packed light brown sugar (dark brown is OK,too)
·  1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips 
·  1 large egg
·  1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

1.preheat the oven to 350°F. 
2. Combine all the ingredients except chips in a bowl, and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in chips.
3. Divide the dough into 24 portions, about 1 heaping tablespoon each. Roll each portion between your hands to form a smooth ball. Place the balls of dough on ungreased cookie sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart. You should get about 12 cookies per sheet. Using 
a fork, press on the dough in two directions to form a crosshatch pattern. 
4. Bake the cookies until the cookies are puffed and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and let the cookies cool on the sheets. Then remove them with a metal spatula. 

Makes about 24 cookies 

These freeze very well!  I have heard that others have made them with almond butter with great success.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I love omelettes myself, mix it up with different seasonings like hte blend from Big AXE spice and add in different veggies/meats. Fun things I used to do like scrambled eggs, pour tomato sauce over them and eat with tortillas or lettuce wraps
Migas, crush up some Protes Chips, or plain fritos in a skillet, drop in some eggs scramble it up serve with salsa a dairy free cheese shreds.
Deli meat roll ups are fun, you can even cut deli meat into shreds for a noodle and stir fry with veggies in a pan, Coconut Secret makes some great teriyaki sauce to finish it off with.
Homemade Guacamole and chips are great, nut butters on spoons for snack or with veggie sticks
Have you look up various sheet pan and crock pot meals, using crockpot liners or foil on your pans makes clean up super easy and safe from contamination
Look at getting some Nordicware Microwave cookware, they make omelette makers, rice cookers, steamers, grill plates with splatter covers for quick and easy meals.
Fish is one of my favorite meats that I can still eat on rare occasions (I have other issues now day due to complications), grilled, baked, or my favorite smoked.
I been doing some fun catering as of late like pan cooking burger patties, cutting them up and serving them in a salad with diced tomato, bacon, vegan cheese, with ketchup and mustard for hamburger salad, you can even do bun less burgers.
OreIda Makes safe fries, tater tots, and hashbrowns

PS Read the Newbie 101 thread, for more info and I have a list of stuff you can look forward to for "treats" few times a month have something a bit more processed, I do it with Califlour foods pizza crust sometimes, or make a new item in my bakery for myself.
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/121802-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2018-q3/

Archived