• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

num1habsfan

Body Odour?

Rate this topic

You know, maybe I'm dreaming, but I could have sworn that I wasnt the only one who's urine and stools always horribly smelled?? Please, somebody else, do you have that problem??

One of my college classmates got the guts up on MSN tonight and, I actually guessed what he was going to tell me, that I smell a lot of the times at school. :o I explained I cant help it, that anytime I pee or poop, it reeks horribly(from either of those themselves) and that my parents are always mad at me for stinking up the house.

Does ANYBODY have any solutions at all??? :unsure:

Please, this isnt a way that i want to get a guys attention at all, I really need to know how this can be fixed.

~Lisa~

You know, maybe I'm dreaming, but I could have sworn that I wasnt the only one who's urine and stools always horribly smelled?? Please, somebody else, do you have that problem??

One of my college classmates got the guts up on MSN tonight and, I actually guessed what he was going to tell me, that I smell a lot of the times at school. :o I explained I cant help it, that anytime I pee or poop, it reeks horribly(from either of those themselves) and that my parents are always mad at me for stinking up the house.

Does ANYBODY have any solutions at all??? :unsure:

Please, this isnt a way that i want to get a guys attention at all, I really need to know how this can be fixed.

~Lisa~

Lisa ,

a freind of mine had this problem ,she went to a naturpath and she has eliminated all animal protein for about 12 weeks ,drinking a lot of water and I know that she had a herbal tea,she is in France right now but I can ask her about the herbal tea and post it here,

It was about 6 month ago and I know that she is much much better,for a start eliminate animal protein.

elisabet

I was having a problem with my underarms. Lever 2000 soap REALLY helps. Not the body wash so much. But the regular bar of soap. Also Arrid deodorant works really well. But the Lever 2000 is the key for me as far as that goes.

Nancy

I too have a horrid body odor, mainly my feet though. They are always wet and sweating and just absolutely stink! Everybody around me notices the smell, no matter how much I wash them they still smell, and if I put in drying powder, it just creates dough. Very frustrating being somewhere and having other people put their fingers near their nose to cover the smell, or leave the area. Any ideas on the whole feet wetness problem (blood drawn to test for DH/Eczema) cause Dr Scholls does not seem to help at all.

I too have a horrid body odor, mainly my feet though. They are always wet and sweating and just absolutely stink! Everybody around me notices the smell, no matter how much I wash them they still smell, and if I put in drying powder, it just creates dough. Very frustrating being somewhere and having other people put their fingers near their nose to cover the smell, or leave the area. Any ideas on the whole feet wetness problem (blood drawn to test for DH/Eczema) cause Dr Scholls does not seem to help at all.

Have you tried putting some baking soda in your sneakers whenever you aren't wearing them? Remove it before putting them on of course. Also, baking soda in your socks to help keep the toes dry. A fresh pair of socks with baking soda while you sleep can help too. One big thing is to make sure the shoes are well designed for maximum air flow. Avoid sneaks with leather uppers too. I seldom wear shoes at home. Only when I need to, though just because of comfort.

Other than that, I'd look into the yeast/toxins issues. There are many posts on that here. Since the oder is so persistant, I'd say it's a sign of what's inside your body, and the feet are one place which your body is using to get rid of the toxins. That's my guess.

I react this way with certain foods. I haven't been able to pin them down yet, but they mostly involve dairy products and sugars. I find the only way to get rid of the odor is to do something physically active like swimming. If I swim, it seems to work the offending toxins out of my system. If not, it could take days to work out of my system on it's own.

I know it's not accepted by everyone, but once I went vegetarian all underarm odour disappeared. My teen son, whose vegan, never has body odour. So I'm guessing it has something to do with meat. Oh, and we also don't eat dairy!!

Charlene

Foot Odor: I certainly would use baking soda on your feet to help reduce perspiration and odor. Also, a foot bath with tea tree oil once a week may reduce foot odor as well.

Underarm Odor: I have found that using an underarm deodorant with tea tree oil works great for me. BTW, I only have the odor under the left armpit. : }

Stool/Urine Odor: I certainly agree that no one wants to stink up their house with odor but aside from some major dietary changes, I am not certain that much can be done to eliminate the odor. I would recommend the usual air fresheners, candles etc. when using the bathroom in your home. When you visit family and friends perhaps you can carry a small spray bottle of car freshener or perfume. The citrus scents tend to hide the odor better than any sweet, floral scent.

Edited by tammy

Stool/Urine Odor: I certainly agree that no one wants to stink up their house with odor but aside from some major dietary changes, I am not certain that much can be done to eliminate the odor. I would recommend the usual air fresheners, candles etc. when using the bathroom in your home. When you visit family and friends perhaps you can carry a small spray bottle of car freshener or perfume. The citrus scents tend to hide the odor better than any sweet, floral scent.

Yeah I'm already dairy free, so its not that. I dont eat a lot of meat. I'm not vegetarian, but Í dont eat a lot of it. I live on mostly rice bread lol.

The problem is at school. :unsure: I guess I can get some air freshener to spray when i'm going to the bathroom there???. Then someone might know its me who always nearly kills everyone in the place.

~lisa~

There are a bunch of things that have helped us... most important was going gluten-free, but 'food combining', the 'blood type' diet (you must experiment to perfect), avoid foods hard to digest (fish oils, PH/transfatty oils, vinegar, etc), avoid too much fiber, don't eat raw fruit with other foods--especially meat/protein, avoid high glucose/GI meals, drink very little with food/meals, avoid coffee, avoid diet pop, etc...... and eat a balanced diet, it helps your body funtions normalize.

Hope some part of this is useful to your individual system.

GC

For foot odor--I dont know about avoiding leather--leather breathes much better then vinyl, which is the material they use for sneakers when not using leather or cloth. I dont have smelly feet, so I cant really say--I just know that man-made fibers do not breathe as well as leather. My uncle swears by putting mouth wash on your feet. He says the reason feet stink is because of bacteria on them, the mouth washes helps get rid of the bacteria--it makes perfect sense to me! A doctor told him this years ago.

Some people naturally have body odor. Sometimes I dont think there is anything you can do about it. I have a friend who's husband has this problem. She says that even after a shower, the odor is there. I dont really think it is a celiac problem, unless it is food related. Some things just arent fair. :angry: Deb

Very old debate, but maybe it can help somebody.

I went gluten free 9 months ago. I experimented with my diet, and couldn't digest simple sugars(not even fruits) without quite big flatulacne. I had bad balanced diet. Just after few days of this diet I started smell really bad. When I was stupid so I didn't take any vitamin supplements(I thought that eating lot of vegetables is enough, it wasn't). After I added multivitamin in diet, smell was better. Not good at all, but noticably better. Then, after few months I could add some fruits into diet and it helped again. It's not good yet, but 70% better than whem I started. So smell don't have to be just result of specific food but also insufficiency of vitamins and minerals. Now I can eat more fruits and I take multivitamin, but that 30% of smell isn't away. So maybe food intolerance is missing piece, I'm going to try eliminate cheese from diet(only source of milk in my diet).

And that smell...It smells like coffe for me(I don't drink coffe). At one of first days of my smelly future I was asking myself "Oh my god, is anyone making coffe in here or it's me?". It was me:)