2 2
Mags55

Could it be Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

Hello, I'm Mags and I've just joined up,

I had bloods done a few weeks ago as I was experiencing some neuropathy symptoms.

Seems I have Folate deficiency anemia.

My folate level was 2.4 and my B12 was 318 ( normal range) I've been told but don't know about my iron levels.

My GP decided to do blood test and stool sample for celiac disease.

The bloods were sent off on Thursday the 7th and stool sample a few days after.

I checked on Friday and results still aren't back yet.

My symptoms are bloating, excessive wind, severe abdominal pain usually at night/early hours of the morning, followed by terrible sweats and diarrhea.

The abdominal pain and diarrhea. doesn't happen all the time so I always put it down to undiagnosed IBS.

I do remember as a child around 7 years old, running home from school because of cramps followed by terrible diarrhea which ran down my legs as I ran home.

Also when I was a teenager in school it happened again but I just about made it to the toliet and the smell was atrocious.

Does it sound like IBS or Celiac disease?

Would appreciate some of your thoughts on this.

Thanks ?

• Like 1

I think you have to wait for test results.  Celiac Disease has over two hundred symptoms.  Problem is they often overlap with other illnesses.  

Welcome to the forum.  

Thank you,

Yes I know there are loads of other symptoms.. I also have Fibromyalgia and arthritis, depression, anxiety, neuropathy symptoms etc..

Can I ask what your initial symptoms were?

Posted (edited)

Do a biopsy test ..    it may show early symptoms of this disease like mild shortening of villi of the small intestine  but celiac disease test may come out as negative .   ( My test came out negative but biopsy test says all the early tell tale symptoms)

Edited by Heemheem

Initial symptoms of mine include high intolerance to lactose , bloating ,  fats in the belly, nausea right after taking milk ,  loose motion and memory loss,itchiness, increased appetite but no weight gain and  irritability after taking milk products  ..   but I can slightly tolerate gluten products than milk products.        My biopsy and endoscopy results show I have mild damage to my stomach (antrum , shortening of  villi).   Celiac test is negative but my stomach (from the biopsy and endoscopy result) shows the acute signs and symptoms of celiac disease .      You need to rely more on biopsy and endoscopy rather than on celiac test. 

Remain strong and positive .  ? 

Thank you,

Yes I know there are loads of other symptoms.. I also have Fibromyalgia and arthritis, depression, anxiety, neuropathy symptoms etc..

Thank you, I have bouts of itchiness with no visible signs, irritability, I've lost 1 stone in weight, but find my appetite has increased since started folic acid supplements.

I am hoping the results of my tests will be back today.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice.

Not sure if I am replying to you or to myself as new to the site lol ??

Hi Mags,

Your symptoms sounds like celiac disease to me.  They could be something else I suppose but the testing should help determine that.  The testing for celiac disease is a blood test to check for antibodies to gliaden, and then an endoscopy to take 4 to 6 biopsy samples of the lining of the small intestine.  They check the biopsy for damage consistent with celiac disease.  The antibodies are DGP IgA, DGP IgG, EMA, total IgA,  Ttg-IgA.  There is no medically accepted stool sample test for celiac disease.

There is a thread titled "Newbie 101" in the "Coping with Celiac" forum section with some good info on testing and getting started on the gluten-free diet.

Welcome to the forum! :) 

Hi and thank you so much.

You are all very kind and supportive.

I will check out the post.

Thanks again. ???

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mags55 said:

Thank you,

I simply had anemia — no GI issues.  Two months after my celiac disease diagnosis, I suffered two vertebrae fractures doing nothing.  As a result of undiagnosed celiac disease, I developed osteoporosis.  You can see how differently celiac disease can present.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Hi cyclinglady,

That is quite shocking to hear that.

Were you surprised by the diagnosis or did you suspect that you might have had Celiac disease?

I was very surprised.  I had no idea I had celiac disease or even suspected it.  Testing is critical for a diagnosis.  I encourage the full celiac blood panel because I only tested positive to the DGP IgA which is not common.  My biopsies revealed intestinal damage.  

Yes that makes perfect sense.

It's quite frightening that things can be going very wrong in your own body and you may have no idea it's happening.