1 1
Chris H

Gluten withdrawal

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello I’m just curious if anyone else had lightheadedness/dizziness when they quit gluten. This is my 4th week now and I still have these short instances where my head will be a bit dizzy, or just a bit slow when I move; it’s like it’s in slow-mo.  Like really mild vertigo, has anyone else had this or should I be worried? As I’ve had chronic pain for years now, and I’m a bit worried somewhere deep down I have an autoimmune disease. I never had the issue before quitting gluten, which makes me think it is that.  Thanks for your input

Edited by Chris H

People have reported many different symptoms of gluten withdrawal over the years.  They seem to vary a lot between people.

If you have celiac disease and stop eating gluten your body goes through a big change.  Your immune system starts to relax and ramp down the production of antibodies.  Which means it has more energy to spend on doing things like repairing body tissues.  Also your gut biome starts to change drastically.  As the villi regrow the surface area of the small intestine grows larger.  That increased surface area provides real estate for bacteria to inhabit.  So you can get symptoms from that.  Also your absorption of nutrients should start to improve.  So your body can get the vitamins and minerals it needs to heal and use calories.

18 months is a good time frame to think about recovery, but it can take longer.

Be sure an take a look at your diet.  When you eliminate certain foods from your diet like wheat, you can lose out on vitamins such as folate and thiamine.  Also gluten free foods tend to be high in starches that convert to sugar and without the thiamine or other vitamins needed to process that you can have problems.

This nutrition book identifies substitute foods you need for various nutrients.  https://www.gluten.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/The-Gluten-Free-Nutrition-Guide-3-2016.pdf

Source Naturals Coenzymated sublingual vitamins work if you have absorption problems.

On 6/19/2018 at 8:41 AM, Chris H said:

Hello I’m just curious if anyone else had lightheadedness/dizziness when they quit gluten. This is my 4th week now and I still have these short instances where my head will be a bit dizzy, or just a bit slow when I move; it’s like it’s in slow-mo.  Like really mild vertigo, has anyone else had this or should I be worried? As I’ve had chronic pain for years now, and I’m a bit worried somewhere deep down I have an autoimmune disease. I never had the issue before quitting gluten, which makes me think it is that.  Thanks for your input

Are you taking a good multivitamin? How about a good probiotic? Have you counted your daily caloric intake?