Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Brown Rice and pork are meant to be gluten free yet they set me off. Pork I reckon is due to them eating cereals.  Brown rice I have no idea although white is fine . Does anyone else get set off by them or is my body just strange?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What pigs eat would note really get to your eating their meat, this might be different with something that you can not clean out well or eat part of the digestive tract like farmed crayfish, shrimp, or poorly cleaned fish/chicken. But pork...unless your eating part of the intestines the meat should not bother you if they ate even pure wheat.

Brown rice, this could be a issues with CC, starches, fiber etc.  There have been major CC issues with grains and legumes in recent months. I suggest sticking to a safer brand like Lundenburg and or visually sorting your rice, and washing it before cooking it. Again it could also be a fiber issues or starches.

Other thoughts some people bit by a lone star tick develop allergies to pork and or beef.

Some people are just intolerant to certain foods, and we can develop many food sensitivities to just about anything with this disease. Often new or certain food intolerance can be linked to something we ate when we ate gluten and our body just has a associative issue that might go away in a few years. https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/are-food-sensitivities-for-life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the brown rice, it could be the fiber (assuming you mean whole grain rice, which still has husk on it). If I have been glutened recently, whole grain brown rice and other fibrous foods are not digested well by my GI tract. Because I get non-GI symptoms, I am quite sure that the cause is not gluten. You might stay away from whole grain rice for a bit, or transition slowly (mix white/whole grain in increasing proportions as tolerated).

For pork, it is unlikely that the type of feed would have an influence on the gluten content of the meat. Gluten is not transferred into the muscle (meat) or eggs of animals. It stays in the GI tract. There could be some small chance of contamination from the GI tract during butchering. I don't know much about commercial butchering/abattoirs, but I think that this is heavily guarded against due to the risk of fecal contamination.

Sometimes, the thing we think is making is sick is in fact not - sometimes it is something else that we do in association with that food. Perhaps there is a seasoning that you use with pork, or perhaps you use certain kitchen tools for pork that are contaminated. I used to always get sick when I cooked butternut squash. It was because I was using a hacksaw to cut them, which was contaminated with drywall (drywall contains wheat).

If you are buying your meat from a small, independent butcher (where they bread/flour meat in-store), you might think about switching to buying big box grocery meat. At big box grocery stores, they just section up the meat that is pre-butchered. You could also be allergic to pork - this is rare, but some people are (especially those who are allergic to cats).

Hope this helps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank u both I never knew any of that. I always thought it was cause of what the pigs ate now I have no idea. I usually buy it from the supermarket or local butchers. Mmmm I wonder why it does? Maybe it will improve after my system has healed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Emily45 said:

Thank u both I never knew any of that. I always thought it was cause of what the pigs ate now I have no idea. I usually buy it from the supermarket or local butchers. Mmmm I wonder why it does? Maybe it will improve after my system has healed 

If it is any condolence I can not eat pork either, for years after eating it I just vomit it back up, we assume it has to do with the fats and my pancreas breaking them down, or a very mild intolerance. I initially switched over to turkey sausage, bacon etc, Jennie-O is certified gluten-free,  but found that a few years later would not digest (this was the pancreas and enzymes),
I use salmon seasoned to taste like bacon for salmon bacon, (I can tell you how to make it). Make vegan bacon bits with the same marinade and coconut chips, found vegan bratwurst, sausage etc, and even make my own vegan chorizo (again I can tell you how).

I still cook with pork quite a bit in my catering, not something that contact makes me sick or even sauces or stuff with, but seems the actual consumption of the meat/fats triggers my issues.
I use Smithfield pork products almost exclusively in my catering, they are tested and certified gluten free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't heard of them, might have to have a look. Salmon bacon ? Sounds interesting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Emily45 said:

Brown Rice and pork are meant to be gluten free yet they set me off. Pork I reckon is due to them eating cereals.  Brown rice I have no idea although white is fine . Does anyone else get set off by them or is my body just strange?

A few science-y articles to help explain.....

About Lectins.....plants make lectins to protect themselves from being eaten by predators and are a source of inflammation......  Brown rice has lectins in the hull.  White rice has that hull removed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1115436/

Then there's Sulfite Sensitivity that some Celiacs develop.....

http://www.thepatientceliac.com/tag/celiac-disease-and-sulfite-intolerance/

Sulfites naturally occur in some foods, like cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli), and garlic, eggs, fermented foods (wine), and are added to processed foods as preservatives.  

Because our gastrointestinal tract is inflamed or damaged, we may not correctly process Sulfites which can cause MORE inflammation.....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17143057

Sulfites occur naturally in meat, too.  Pork is naturally higher in sulfites than some other types of meat, like lamb or beef liver.  However I was horrified when I discovered this:

Pigs are fed a high sulfur diet so the meat stays fresher looking longer in packaging!  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5243960/#!po=93.4211

I've always had problems with any kind of pork, bacon, ham, chops, roasts.   I make sure to purchase grass fed beef, bison and lamb, and free range chicken and eggs.

I have Type IV Hypersensitivity to Sulfites.  I can't take any medications with sulfa or thiols in them.  I get sick if I eat high sulfur foods like broccoli and garlic and pork.  Molybdenum is helpful.

You're not alone. It's not your imagination.  

Hope this helps! 

 

 

Edited by knitty kitty
Fix typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2018 at 8:32 PM, Ennis_TX said:

If it is any condolence I can not eat pork either, for years after eating it I just vomit it back up, we assume it has to do with the fats and my pancreas breaking them down, or a very mild intolerance. I initially switched over to turkey sausage, bacon etc, Jennie-O is certified gluten-free,  but found that a few years later would not digest (this was the pancreas and enzymes),
I use salmon seasoned to taste like bacon for salmon bacon, (I can tell you how to make it). Make vegan bacon bits with the same marinade and coconut chips, found vegan bratwurst, sausage etc, and even make my own vegan chorizo (again I can tell you how).

I still cook with pork quite a bit in my catering, not something that contact makes me sick or even sauces or stuff with, but seems the actual consumption of the meat/fats triggers my issues.
I use Smithfield pork products almost exclusively in my catering, they are tested and certified gluten free.

 

23 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

A few science-y articles to help explain.....

About Lectins.....plants make lectins to protect themselves from being eaten by predators and are a source of inflammation......  Brown rice has lectins in the hull.  White rice has that hull removed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1115436/

Then there's Sulfite Sensitivity that some Celiacs develop.....

http://www.thepatientceliac.com/tag/celiac-disease-and-sulfite-intolerance/

Sulfites naturally occur in some foods, like cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli), and garlic, eggs, fermented foods (wine), and are added to processed foods as preservatives.  

Because our gastrointestinal tract is inflamed or damaged, we may not correctly process Sulfites which can cause MORE inflammation.....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17143057

Sulfites occur naturally in meat, too.  Pork is naturally higher in sulfites than some other types of meat, like lamb or beef liver.  However I was horrified when I discovered this:

Pigs are fed a high sulfur diet so the meat stays fresher looking longer in packaging!  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5243960/#!po=93.4211

I've always had problems with any kind of pork, bacon, ham, chops, roasts.   I make sure to purchase grass fed beef, bison and lamb, and free range chicken and eggs.

I have Type IV Hypersensitivity to Sulfites.  I can't take any medications with sulfa or thiols in them.  I get sick if I eat high sulfur foods like broccoli and garlic and pork.  Molybdenum is helpful.

You're not alone. It's not your imagination.  

Hope this helps! 

 

 

Thats very helpful actually thank u . It's nice to know it's a real thing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those absorbent pads found under cuts of meat containing sulfites, too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3

×