• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Pepper88

Canadian celiacs: I'm looking for a gluten-free protein powder without a super long ingredients list

Rate this topic

I'm from Ontario and struggling with finding a cheap, pure protein powder. I used to buy hemp protein from bulk barn for fairly cheap but that's no longer an option. I've been vegetarian for 8 years and considering re-introducing small amounts of meat because my options are so limited now with a celiac/ IBS combo. Does anyone have any brands they trust? Hemp seems so be super cross contaminated now... even the brands that claim gluten-free have traces :(

LOL yeah I fell into that same thing with hemp -_ - I have to buy my seeds from mygerbs now and mill my own in a coffee burr grinder. But honestly I Nima tested even the gluten-free certified ones to find gluten after getting sick from them....mygerbs is the only place I can get hte hemp seeds safe now, oh and they ship to canada.

On other notes, I just Jarrow Pumpkin (Very pure along the same lines as hemp profile wise), Naked Pea, Julian Bakery Pegan (unflavored is sancha inchi, the cinnamon twist is a good one that is pumpkin based), Growing Naturals Pea, Found a sunflower protein that I missed the name of awhile back also. I have used a few others in the past but mostly mix my own blends now.

Protes Makes a protein chip out of pea protein and even the zesty nacho is vegan.

Hey Ennis, thanks for the recommendations (and the empathy!!). I never thought of milling my own hemp seeds. We have two coffee grinders in my house so if it saves me some money I'll do it myself :) 

On 7/10/2018 at 7:18 PM, Ennis_TX said:

LOL yeah I fell into that same thing with hemp -_ - I have to buy my seeds from mygerbs now and mill my own in a coffee burr grinder. But honestly I Nima tested even the gluten-free certified ones to find gluten after getting sick from them....mygerbs is the only place I can get hte hemp seeds safe now, oh and they ship to canada.

On other notes, I just Jarrow Pumpkin (Very pure along the same lines as hemp profile wise), Naked Pea, Julian Bakery Pegan (unflavored is sancha inchi, the cinnamon twist is a good one that is pumpkin based), Growing Naturals Pea, Found a sunflower protein that I missed the name of awhile back also. I have used a few others in the past but mostly mix my own blends now.

Protes Makes a protein chip out of pea protein and even the zesty nacho is vegan.

Hey Ennis, can I make protein powder just the same with hemp hearts/ shelled hemp seeds? 

32 minutes ago, Pepper88 said:

Hey Ennis, can I make protein powder just the same with hemp hearts/ shelled hemp seeds? 

It will have the full fat profile of the seeds but yes. Whole shell will be bit more gritty but have the added fiber. A burr grinder is needed and needs to be done in pulses to prevent it from getting hot and making it into a paste. (I have tried in a blade grinder and it makes a thick paste if you run it long enough to grind it all uniformly.)

I use the whole shell myself, I mix the gritty flour into baked goods for added fiber, and protein, it does have gritty texture....I have not tried the shelled hemp and always get the whole when ordering from Mygerbs.

I'm sure this reply seems late, but You should definitely check out

the IronVegan product line. I've got Celiac disease and IBS and have

no problems whatsoever. Their protein bars and powders for shakes are

so great!

James

James, thank you for the Iron Vegan recommendation. I may try their Sprouted Protein. 

Ennis, what is the sunflower protein one you mentioned? 

I seek out gluten-free, low fodmap, recently tried Whey Factors.  It is gluten-free and met low FODMAP criteria, but is dairy based.  

1 hour ago, Whitepaw said:

James, thank you for the Iron Vegan recommendation. I may try their Sprouted Protein. 

Ennis, what is the sunflower protein one you mentioned? 

I seek out gluten-free, low fodmap, recently tried Whey Factors.  It is gluten-free and met low FODMAP criteria, but is dairy based.  

https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-1356911-natures-plus-organic-sunflower-protein-powder-1-22-lbs