2 2
KellyLynn123

Maybe I dont have it?

Rate this topic

My sister had the endoscopy and was diagnosed in December.  I've always had my suspicions, so my doctor did the blood test. My levels were so high, he told me that since my sister was confirmed, and based on my antibody level- it wasn't necessary for me to have the endoscopy (with insurance, the scope is $1600).  I have been eating gluten-free for two months with a few hiccups along the way.  My main question is--the other day I went out to eat (for one of the first times) and mistakenly consumed a pretzel roll (the server told me she was bringing me gluten free bread-so my assumptions when she brought this bread was it was the gluten free bread--yes complaints were made!)  I thought that I would have a violent reaction, but it has been 36 hours and I have only had minimal bloating and diarrhea.  When I've had cross contamination in the past I got horrible cramping for at least 12 hours.  Would you think it's possible that I don't have celiac?...I'm tempted to have the scope, but I have two kids about to have braces put on.  Finances aren't necessarily flowing and growing off trees these days!

28 minutes ago, KellyLynn123 said:

My sister had the endoscopy and was diagnosed in December.  I've always had my suspicions, so my doctor did the blood test. My levels were so high, he told me that since my sister was confirmed, and based on my antibody level- it wasn't necessary for me to have the endoscopy (with insurance, the scope is $1600).  I have been eating gluten-free for two months with a few hiccups along the way.  My main question is--the other day I went out to eat (for one of the first times) and mistakenly consumed a pretzel roll (the server told me she was bringing me gluten free bread-so my assumptions when she brought this bread was it was the gluten free bread--yes complaints were made!)  I thought that I would have a violent reaction, but it has been 36 hours and I have only had minimal bloating and diarrhea.  When I've had cross contamination in the past I got horrible cramping for at least 12 hours.  Would you think it's possible that I don't have celiac?...I'm tempted to have the scope, but I have two kids about to have braces put on.  Finances aren't necessarily flowing and growing off trees these days!

I think it is likely that you have Celiac.  Sometimes, we don't react as fast or as badly as other times.  Why?  Who really knows.  When you have been strictly gluten-free for 6 months - you could get your blood re-tested and see the numbers going down.  that should confirm for you that the gluten-free diet is necessary.

I would assume you have it and just got lucky with a mild reaction. Eating gluten with celiac is dangerous long term, it can not only lead to damaged intestine but other food allergies, food intolerance issues, food sensitivities, other auto immune disease, thyroid issues, cancers, etc.

Do read the newbie 101 section, also avoid eating out at non dedicated restaurants its like Russian roulette and look at FindMeGlutenFree for safe places per reviews by other celiacs. A Nima Sensor gluten tester to test foods, and GlidenX to reduce symptoms of accidental exposures helps. https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

Damage is still happening, even if you don't feel it.