Jump to content
Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
  • Sign Up
5 5
blahblah

Vertigo after cold

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Has anyone else with celiac gotten vertigo. after colds? I've had it for a month now and I guess it has gotten a little better but it is still here and very annoying sometimes. I've had ear problems before but I dont think it is them since I just got them checked. Will it pass eventually? I dont know if I should see a doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would see a doctor. You could have an ear infection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw the ear doctor though and he didn't say anything

4 hours ago, tessa25 said:

I would see a doctor. You could have an ear infection.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Low vitamin D levels are related to vertigo.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26386496

Vitamin D deficiency occurs in Celiac Disease because we have a problem absorbing fats because of the damage to our intestines.  Vitamin D and vitamin A are fat soluble vitamins.  Optimal Vitamin D levels should be between 70 and 100 nmols.  

Celiacs often suffer from subclinical deficiencies in the eight B vitamins, Vitamin A, D, and minerals like magnesium and iron.

Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Low vitamin D levels are related to vertigo.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26386496

Vitamin D deficiency occurs in Celiac Disease because we have a problem absorbing fats because of the damage to our intestines.  Vitamin D and vitamin A are fat soluble vitamins.  Optimal Vitamin D levels should be between 70 and 100 nmols.  

Celiacs often suffer from subclinical deficiencies in the eight B vitamins, Vitamin A, D, and minerals like magnesium and iron.

Hope this helps!

That is helpful thank you. I already take b12, calcium, and a multivitamin each day so maybe I need a D vitamin too? Is there anything I'm missing? Is this what celiacs normally take?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This article is helpful. Here's another.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3820055/

Celiacs have problems absorbing not soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) and the eight water soluble B vitamins, especially B12, niacin and thiamine.  Minerals like magnesium and zinc are often low.  

Remember that gluten free versions of bread and cookies are not required to be fortified like their gluten containing counterparts.  

Do try to get your nutrients from whole foods, but supplementation may be necessary while healing.  

Getting your vitamin D level higher than 70 nmols will help immensely!  I had a severe deficiency and felt horrible.  Here's more information.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18348447

Hope this helps!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

This article is helpful. Here's another.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3820055/

Celiacs have problems absorbing not soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) and the eight water soluble B vitamins, especially B12, niacin and thiamine.  Minerals like magnesium and zinc are often low.  

Remember that gluten free versions of bread and cookies are not required to be fortified like their gluten containing counterparts.  

Do try to get your nutrients from whole foods, but supplementation may be necessary while healing.  

Getting your vitamin D level higher than 70 nmols will help immensely!  I had a severe deficiency and felt horrible.  Here's more information.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18348447

Hope this helps!

 

 

 

I get 1500 Io of vitamin d a day. That should be enough.  Plus I eat stuff with vitamin d already so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe just the cold. I feel like the vertigo is getting better but not sure.  Bppv maneuvers have not done anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See an ear nose and throat (ENT) doctor about your vertigo. I have had problems with vertigo for years. It may be simply that you have fluid behind the drum or an inner ear infection. A diutretic for a few days and a few doses of 5mg Valium May help. Valium works on the balance center of the brain. My balance was a serious issue until I was Dx with celiac disease and I am strictly gluten-free as is my kitchen. I eat almost no processed foods, just cook and eat fresh foods. When I have gotten glutened accidentally, not only is my vertigo back, but migraine headaches, joint and bone pain. Your vertigo could be a migraine equivalent triggered by your cold virus. Get a second opinion. My ENT started me on B12 injections and this really helped my vertigo. I do not absorb vitamins well through my gut so the injections work to help my vertigo. Get a second opinion and good luck getting relief, vertigo is debilitating.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Joyful joanna said:

See an ear nose and throat (ENT) doctor about your vertigo. I have had problems with vertigo for years. It may be simply that you have fluid behind the drum or an inner ear infection. A diutretic for a few days and a few doses of 5mg Valium May help. Valium works on the balance center of the brain. My balance was a serious issue until I was Dx with celiac disease and I am strictly gluten-free as is my kitchen. I eat almost no processed foods, just cook and eat fresh foods. When I have gotten glutened accidentally, not only is my vertigo back, but migraine headaches, joint and bone pain. Your vertigo could be a migraine equivalent triggered by your cold virus. Get a second opinion. My ENT started me on B12 injections and this really helped my vertigo. I do not absorb vitamins well through my gut so the injections work to help my vertigo. Get a second opinion and good luck getting relief, vertigo is debilitating.

 

 

 

 

That's could make sense that getting unwanted gluten may be messing up my system and not absorbing the vitamins. And from what I looked up I think I have labryinthis (not sure if that is spelled right) but I think it may be getting better over time and hopefully it is a one time thing. Exercises for vertigo can also help. Your brain should eventually pick up its normal ways if normal activities are resumed. I'm trying to stay positive. But I've always had ear issues so hopefully it is not something bigger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on seeing an ENT and checking into nutritional factors. A *good* ENT should be aware of them and able to go over your blood tests with you to check that out. Vertigo isn't "caused" by celiac per se, so whatever the problem is, your ENT should still be able to find it.

I'm not such a proponent of B12 shots. If your intestinal damage prevents B12 absorption...sure, the shot sounds good. But sublingual (under the tongue) B12 works just as effectively. In the EU national health won't cover B12 shots. They're not appropriate or necessary. In the US, funny thing, the doctor gets paid well to give them, so our doctors swear they are the only thing that works. And yet somehow, in the EU and Canada, they do perfectly well without them. Getting a B12 shot is a good way for your doctor to perform a highly compensated procedure, but totally unnecessary. (Patients often "feel better" knowing that a nice doctor in a white coat did something special and gave them a shot, to be sure.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5

×