This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I’m sick of this!!

Jennifer Jimenez

Jennifer Jimenez Rookie

I’m 18 years old still living with my parents, I got tested for celiacs so I’ve had to cut down dairy, sugar, eggs and grains. I was improving all over again and then all of a sudden bam I get a reaction of I don’t know what! I’m sick of this stupid disease, my parents don’t understand it. I’m not even sure if I’m getting cross contaminated in my own home!  I just wanna feel better but everything is just getting worse sometimes I just feel like dying. I thought this was suppose to be just a gluten free diet and now ive had to cut down eggs because the other day I got a really bad reaction. I have constant brain fog, undigested foods I’m so annoyed. I hate this so much!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Hmm question have you read the 101 newbie section? Where the eggs cooked in a dedicated pan or the same pan your parents cooked gluten food in?
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/
I was first diagnosed when living with my parents years ago....was a nightmare. I can tell you what I learned. IT IS THEIR KITCHEN, and god knows you can not stop them from using gluten....we had many fights in my family about it. Mother used flour all the time and it settled everywhere....and my mother loved her cream of wheat...god that ruined my day many a times.

SO this is what you do, get a fold out table in your room, get a cheap microwave, mini fridge, and some nordicware microwave cook ware, they make omelette makers, grill plates with splatter covers, steam trays etc. a few mixing bowls, your own cutting board and knifes. One of those combo steamer/crockpot/rice cookers later on and perhaps a blackendecker toaster/oven later down the road.
Clean them in rubber maid containers with bleach and dish soap in your bathroom and avoid the kitchen sink and the gluten contaminated nightmare.

Whole foods only diet starting off, try the eggs again in the microwave cookers...bet it was something else but I am not one to question as I became allergic to corn. Dairy free is the way to be, you can try some almond, coconut, or cashews milks for your calcium needs (it contains more then dairy). In a few months you can perhaps try dairy free cheese and see how that works for you.

Brogrammer Apprentice

Hey I know exactly how you feel. I recently came down with this and have had to deal with making others understand it. Also, the whole thing of foods that don't actually contain gluten causing me some kind of reaction. I think once you've loaded up on gluten in your past to the point of having a situation arise that lets you know it's time to quit... your body is so beat up and weakened and then you make this major dietary change... so it's bound to cause kind of a chain reaction and a lot of things will at least temporarily be too hard on your stomach and immune system, many of which will be the common food allergens, aka things that are commonly hard on one's stomach and immune system.

At this point I too am tempted to freak out, but I keep telling myself that most of it besides gluten is probably temporary. Do you consume a lot of soy? That's another one I think might linger for me, and if you read much, the overwhelming consensus is that it's lingering in everything and slowly destroying us all haha. That might be a good one to strictly avoid for a longer period of time.

Anyway, best wishes on getting through this. We're in the early stages and yeah, it really sucks.

Jennifer Jimenez Rookie
On 7/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, Ennis_TX said:

Hmm question have you read the 101 newbie section? Where the eggs cooked in a dedicated pan or the same pan your parents cooked gluten food in?
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/
I was first diagnosed when living with my parents years ago....was a nightmare. I can tell you what I learned. IT IS THEIR KITCHEN, and god knows you can not stop them from using gluten....we had many fights in my family about it. Mother used flour all the time and it settled everywhere....and my mother loved her cream of wheat...god that ruined my day many a times.

SO this is what you do, get a fold out table in your room, get a cheap microwave, mini fridge, and some nordicware microwave cook ware, they make omelette makers, grill plates with splatter covers, steam trays etc. a few mixing bowls, your own cutting board and knifes. One of those combo steamer/crockpot/rice cookers later on and perhaps a blackendecker toaster/oven later down the road.
Clean them in rubber maid containers with bleach and dish soap in your bathroom and avoid the kitchen sink and the gluten contaminated nightmare.

Whole foods only diet starting off, try the eggs again in the microwave cookers...bet it was something else but I am not one to question as I became allergic to corn. Dairy free is the way to be, you can try some almond, coconut, or cashews milks for your calcium needs (it contains more then dairy). In a few months you can perhaps try dairy free cheese and see how that works for you.

THEY THINK ITS ALL IN MY HEAD! They’re even thinking of putting me in a mental home, they call me a hypochondriac! Well tommorow I’m going off to buy plastic plates, spoons, knives, forks. I’m also getting a pan and a pot and a cutting board. I’ have a table in one of my rooms. I’ll have to cook on my own, I usually had my mom cooking but now with all this cross contamination I’m just going to go ahead and cook. I’m in my learning stages of cooking so I’m not the best cook.  Today I cooked my own food and didn’t get a reaction thanks God. However, I can’t afford my own fridge. I’m doing paleo right now. I’ve been eating ground turkey, chicken, and beef since it’s easily digestible. I’ve been eating no rice since my body is sensitive to rice right now.  I’ve been eating meats with carrots and broccoli. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Many do not understand a disease or a situation until they themselves have gone through it. Fact of life.

Honestly we get this a lot and I once joked about starting a halfway house for new celiacs providing a save place, and doing cooking lessons and lessons on reading labels and CC.

Good to see you jump on the initiative,  the nordicware stuff I suggested is cheap compared to pots, pans, a cheap microwave is all you need. NOTE if you get the grill plates, a splatter cover is a lifesaver for keeping everything clean.
Open Original Shared Link

Might want to mix up your diet a bit if you can stomach it for a more varied blend. Say some dark leafy greens, like spinach or kale, Romaine or lettuce wraps, some simple squash etc, And some healthy fats like tuna, salmon, almond butter, sunbutter, etc.

To bad you do not live in Texas I would put you in for a few free catered meals to make it easier (I do gluten free chef work and baking)

Jennifer Jimenez Rookie
9 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Many do not understand a disease or a situation until they themselves have gone through it. Fact of life.

Honestly we get this a lot and I once joked about starting a halfway house for new celiacs providing a save place, and doing cooking lessons and lessons on reading labels and CC.

Good to see you jump on the initiative,  the nordicware stuff I suggested is cheap compared to pots, pans, a cheap microwave is all you need. NOTE if you get the grill plates, a splatter cover is a lifesaver for keeping everything clean.

Might want to mix up your diet a bit if you can stomach it for a more varied blend. Say some dark leafy greens, like spinach or kale, Romaine or lettuce wraps, some simple squash etc, And some healthy fats like tuna, salmon, almond butter, sunbutter, etc.

To bad you do not live in Texas I would put you in for a few free catered meals to make it easier (I do gluten free chef work and baking)

I do live in Texas!

Ennis-TX Grand Master
25 minutes ago, Jennifer Jimenez said:

I do live in Texas!

Well I am in the DFW area, and will PM you about my place, I can also suggest restaurants, support groups, other bakeries, suppliers in the DFW area. NOW if you in the Austin area we have another member down there who would be better to give give you ideas. I also know of a few places in San Antonio and have another friend down around Victoria who can help if your that far south.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frieze Community Regular
On 7/22/2018 at 5:25 AM, Ennis_TX said:

Ennis, how about a gluten free "camp",  do you have 4-H down your way? perhaps you could do a day camp when the resident camping is finished for the year?

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, frieze said:

Ennis, how about a gluten free "camp",  do you have 4-H down your way? perhaps you could do a day camp when the resident camping is finished for the year?

Love the suggestion, fact I am looking at something. With the new food truck I am looking at doing and working with my local farmers market. I think doing Gluten free cooking classes outside of my truck or streamed from my truck. I have been asked to do this before, and some of my followers on my cooking page also ask. Perhaps I can expand along your idea and ask the gluten free summer camps if they would like my truck to visit? A future idea worth considering. Right now I need to focus on our financing, setting up a following and a sustainable menu that is cost effective.

Archived