Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
1 1
cprin

Gluten intolerance - slight improvement?

Rate this topic

Hi,

I suspect I have gluten intolerance. For years I've suffered heartburns, weight gain and joint pains. Then I went gluten-free for 6 months, and problems just went away, it's amazing and I still can't believe the transformation in my life. It took some trial and error though, because it's not just wheat (buckwheat causes me a terrible heartburn just like wheat. Corn flour causes me a medium heartburn, and rice flour is mostly ok - just a very weak heartburn). 

So I settled into this diet and stopped giving it much thought, but now I'm confused... because I suddenly discovered that I can tolerate more gluten than I used to (I was accidentally tempted by cakes and pizzas in some parties, and discovered I can have a small piece without a heartburn, while before even a bite would ruin my day).

In anyone familiar with this phenomenon, please? Is it possible that my sensitivity has actually improved? 
thanks!

Maybe you do not have celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity.  Maybe it is a FODMAP issue or another illness (like H.Pylori).   Unfortunately, celiac disease testing requires you to be consuming gluten daily for 8 to 12 weeks prior to a blood draw or 2 to 4 prior to an endoscopy.  

You can remain on a gluten free diet or consider getting tested.  Only you can decide what is best for you and to help you adhere to the diet.  

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/

• Like 1

Hi. I'm a diagnosed celiac.  I don't get symptoms unless I've eaten gluten for awhile.  I had tried gluten free oats (which are not always gluten free enough or the protein is similar enough to wheat rye and barley to cause the same reaction in some) against my doctor's advice, and it took about a month.   My doctor explained that no symptoms does not mean no damage, it can be going on but some people don't get noticeable symptoms until there is a lot more damage.