Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
Linda3149

Celiac or Gluten Intolerance What's the difference

Rate this topic

Years of puzzling symptoms that I've been trying to figure out and just recently I took a Celiac test (blood test) that shows I'm gluten intolerance. 

Test measured

IgG 599

IgA 181

Transglutaminase 2 IgG .56

Transglutaminase 2 IgA .43

DGP IgG .29

DGP IgA .29 

in the intestinal Permeability Panel I scored moderate to high risk on some of them

A non Gluten Wheat Panel test most of the scores were in moderate range. 

So I'm wondering if there is a difference to just being gluten intolerance or is it the same as celiac?  At the time of the blood test I was eating gluten but not a lot of it.  Should I further investigate celiac. One of my symptoms with it is anxiety that starts in my stomach and it happens from food. 

6 hours ago, Linda3149 said:

Years of puzzling symptoms that I've been trying to figure out and just recently I took a Celiac test (blood test) that shows I'm gluten intolerance. 

Test measured

IgG 599

IgA 181

Transglutaminase 2 IgG .56

Transglutaminase 2 IgA .43

DGP IgG .29

DGP IgA .29 

in the intestinal Permeability Panel I scored moderate to high risk on some of them

A non Gluten Wheat Panel test most of the scores were in moderate range. 

So I'm wondering if there is a difference to just being gluten intolerance or is it the same as celiac?  At the time of the blood test I was eating gluten but not a lot of it.  Should I further investigate celiac. One of my symptoms with it is anxiety that starts in my stomach and it happens from food. 

Hi!

What were your lab ranges?  Which test was considered positive?  

Celiac disease is a gluten intolerance.  When gluten is ingested, the body starts attacking the small intestine causing damage.  A diagnosis is usually confirm with biopsies via endoscopy by a Gastroenterologist.