This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

'gultened' any tips?

Emily45

Emily45 Apprentice

I cut gluten out of my diet as I had some symptoms of celiac disease. I did feel better not 100pecent but better than I did. then I got lazy and accidentally got gultened I didn't think my body would react to bad but oh boy I feel so bad it's such a horrible feeling does anyone have any things that help when they have been gultened?? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

If have celiac there is not much we can do, we can take gliden X right after ingestion to break down some of the gluten and lessen symptoms. If you can peptobismal, some swear by peppermint tea, and use Imodium for D. I just double up on slippery elm, marshmallow root to coat my intestines and go to a simple mush diet for a few weeks with now spices til my gut gets over it. I often find I have to double down on my B-vitamins and consume foods to give some form of bulk to my stool and up my potassium.

Worst is over in a day or two, you might end up with increased vitamin deficiencies for a week or so, and might have lingering effects for 6 weeks or more til your antibodies go down and you heal.

Do note if your just starting the diet it can take up to 24 months to completely heal your intestines.

I suggest reading up the newbie 101 sections about CC etc. if your new to this. And try sticking to a whole foods only diet.
BTW for now stick to soups, and WELL cooked easy to digest stews, and egg dishes if you can, easier to digest the better, think of your intestines as carpet burned and avoid spices, alcohol, or anything that might irritate them.

Emily45 Apprentice

I didn't know that. Thanks for ur help. sounds like it's gonna be a long process to feel like me again 

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Sorry you are feeling so awful. Time to heal from a glutening can vary person to person.  Some are over the worst in a few days for others some issues can linger. When I get glutened I use Immodium only if I have to leave the house. I eat lightly for a couple days and I find Cream of Buckwheat to be soothing. If you are not yet avoiding dairy you should for a bit. Do follow Ennis advice about reading the Newbie 101 thread and try to avoid eating out or taking any risks for a bit. Your glutening flared your antibodies and you want those antibodies to go down as quickly as possible. I hope you are over this and feeling better soon.

Hannah Turner Rookie

What symptoms do you get?

Emily45 Apprentice
3 hours ago, Hannah Turner said:

What symptoms do you get?

when I get gultened - sharp abdominal pains, gas, headache/fog, poo troubles, and ache like hell. generally feel like crap 

also onions seem to set me off as well 

Archived