• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

kadmon

Hello Everyone - First Timer

Rate this topic

Hi everybody,

I am a first time poster here today, although I have known about my Celiacs disease for close to 6 months or more. It is a difficult transition, which I am sure everyone can attest to here, so I thought it might be time for me to start branching out a bit and talking with others more experienced with this situation.

I am 29 years old and I live in Washington State, just north of a town called Bellingham. I did not go through the intestinal biopsy, for my blood tests were quite conclusive actually, and to tell you the truth, the pain and symptoms started to get really bad over the last 3 years before I finally found a doctor who thought to test me for this.

I suppose I could get the biopsy, but the way I see it, I feel a bit better everyday (except when I accidentally eat something I was not supposed to) so I could ultimately care less about the biopsy. It is just a feeling I guess.

This is obviously my first Christmas holiday that I have to let the cookies pass me by, and the cake and pie and all of that stuff.

I am not sure what everyone goes through when they ingest gluten, but I get horrible joint pains as if I have arthritis or something like that. It generally goes away within a few days, but being 29 I assuredly feel it as not right. I also have been experiencing a severe drying and cracking of the skin on my left hand mostly, although the right one sometimes gets dry also. It seems to always be that way no matter what I do or how much I take care of it.

Anyway, I am so new to all of this so I just wanted to say hi. I hope to learn alot. My 2 year old son was tested after we found out I was pretty much celiac, but he came up negative. I still feel though that I should test him again when he is older possibly? I don;t know much about that, but my wife and I also have a new baby on the way in May and I suppose we should go through the same process there eventually.

Anyway, hello to all and I look forward to conversing with some of you and getting some ideas and help. Thanks for this forum.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Adam :D

Hello Adam, and Welcome! :)

It's good you decided to join the forum and share your story. My teen son and I are gluten intolerant and have been gluten-free since Feb. After much research on the subject, I have my whole family on a gluten-free diet. We're also vegetarian, so we have a lot of challenges when it comes to preparing meals. It has gotten better with time. My son and I have improved immensely. I'm so glad I found this forum, as it has been very helpful. Feel free to ask any question, or comment on any topic.

Happy Holidays,

Charlene

Welcome Adam:

If you have been possitive in the blood test and choose to be gluten free and you are feeling better, there is no reason to go through the expense of a biopsy. If you are already gluten free as your best ability, then it may effect the biopsy. The endocopy exam is the "gold standard" for detecting Celiac Disease, but, if you are feeling better on the diet, my suggestion is to continue on the diet.

Apparently, we all carry a pre-disposed gene that may trigger Celiac, some may and others may not. We are the chosen.

I often refer to my friends as a car, in neutral is rolling slowly down a grade, with no problem/no harm, then something brings it to the cliffs edge, and it goes over. Therein becomes Celiac Disease.

Watch you child closely, celiac may not be apparent, but watch for the signs.

I wish you well and welcome to the club.

Happy Holidays

Lisa B

Hi Adam, welcome!

Hi and Welcome!! Since you had the positive blood work and have reacted positively to the diet, I wouldn't bother with the biopsy. And now it would probably give you a false negative. The only thing it could do is to tell you how healthy your intestines are. I was dx'd 9 yrs ago just by the diet. If you feel good on the diet and can tell the difference when you get glutened, then it's celiac. The only test I might be interested in is the gene test for myself and my 21 yr old dd. I would just watch your babies for any prolonged tummy troubles or unexplained irritability or lethargy in the future.

Annette