Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

jbrink25

Altoids smalls ingredients changed

Rate this topic

Hi, I wanted to submit some new info on the altoids smalls. They have been banned previously by celiacs due to wheat maltodextrin listed as an ingredient. However, I just noticed that on their tin, there the wheat maltodextrin is no longer listed in the ingredients. So, I wrote to wrigley's asking about that. Here's the replyi received:

"Thanks for taking the time to contact the Wrigley Company.  We really care about your questions and feedback.

We had changed the formula with in the last couple years were we took the wheat maltodextrin out of the Altoids Smalls Mints. If the old tin you have says wheat maltodextrin it would be the old formula.

If you have any additional questions or comments feel free to contact us at 1-800-WRIGLEY (974-4539)  Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST or visit us at www.wrigley.com."

I thought that was great. But I wrote them again because I was still wondering about any other gluten possibly hiding in there. Here's their response:

"Thanks for taking the time to contact the Wrigley Company.  We really care about your questions and feedback.

We are not using any oats, rye, barley, gluten or wheat in the Altoids Smalls Mints. The tin will not say gluten free on them. Because the ingredients are not tested or certified as gluten free.

The only two products that have ever been certified gluten free are our Skittles Candy and Starburst Candy. Which you will see the gluten free statement on the outer packaging.

If you have any additional questions or comments feel free to contact us at 1-800-WRIGLEY (974-4539)  Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST or visit us at www.wrigley.com."

So it sounds like they are most likely ok now, except for the most sensitive of us. Just thought I'd share the info. 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks for posting this!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

33 minutes ago, Kindra said:

Would you know if the wintergreen altoids are safe?

Based on what the above poster reported from Wrigley, you have to read the ingredients list on the tin.  If you want, you can list it here (or take a photo)  and I’ll help you.  

I previously avoided Altoids, but instead use Wintergreen Vermints which are certified gluten-free and come in a tin as well.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter