This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shadybrook Farms Ground Turkey

CeliaCruz

CeliaCruz Rookie

So I made this awesome turkey meatloaf a few nights ago (Lay's Stax instead of breadcrumbs etc. -- gluten free, all the way) and I got this weird feeling in my gut after I started eating it. I went and retrieved the package from the Shadybrook Farms ground turkey and noticed that the label said that it contained ground turkey...and NATURAL FLAVORING! My internet access was down but the symptoms just kept coming so I assumed there was something wrong. My internet goes back up. I log onto the Delphi forums and apparently Shadybrook Farms Ground Turkey is safe. Instantly, my symptoms recede...like magic. But then again, maybe it was just time for them to dissapate.

So is the Delphi info out of date? Or did I psyche myself into a faux-glutening? (Or did some evil fairy sprinkle breadcrumbs into my mouth while I was sleeping....) Anyone else with a bad experience with ground turkey meat from Shadybrook farms?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

You psyched yourself out. Here's what Shadybrook says on its website:

Does Shady Brook Farms™ Turkey contain gluten or MSG? TOP

Most all of our products are MSG and gluten free. The only exceptions are our meatballs, a new Teriyaki Tenderloin and a new frozen Turkey Burger.

All of our deli meats are also MSG and gluten free.

We don't use flour on the conveyor belts in any of our Shady Brook Farms™ processing plants.

richard

• 5 years later...
Kurly Newbie

So I made this awesome turkey meatloaf a few nights ago (Lay's Stax instead of breadcrumbs etc. -- gluten free, all the way) and I got this weird feeling in my gut after I started eating it. I went and retrieved the package from the Shadybrook Farms ground turkey and noticed that the label said that it contained ground turkey...and NATURAL FLAVORING! My internet access was down but the symptoms just kept coming so I assumed there was something wrong. My internet goes back up. I log onto the Delphi forums and apparently Shadybrook Farms Ground Turkey is safe. Instantly, my symptoms recede...like magic. But then again, maybe it was just time for them to dissapate.

So is the Delphi info out of date? Or did I psyche myself into a faux-glutening? (Or did some evil fairy sprinkle breadcrumbs into my mouth while I was sleeping....) Anyone else with a bad experience with ground turkey meat from Shadybrook farms?

I just ate some Shadybrook farms and am having a gluten reaction as well. Trying to figure out what I ate that could have had gluten in it. Nothing new in my diet today (I am new to the gluten-free diet and being really careful about reading all labels and eating a lot of fruits/veggies and almost everything homemade). Tonight I decided to try and made a turkey meatloaf and bought turkey meat from Shadybrook farms, the label looked safe enough, bought gluten-free bread crumbs. Threw in onions, an egg, and Heinz Ketchup (labeled gluten-free). So if the turkey is gluten-free can't figure why I've ran to the bathroom already in the hour 2 times! This is the first time since changing the diet that I've had a problem. I think that there might be a slight amount of gluten in the turkey even if they say there isn't... if we react to it, there must be!

psawyer Proficient

A caution to readers: This topic is from December of 2005. A lot may have changed in over five years. Research current ingredients in the products rather than relying on old information here.

psawyer Proficient
I think that there might be a slight amount of gluten in the turkey even if they say there isn't... if we react to it, there must be!

Well, no, not necessarily. Many of us have additional food intolerance issues beyond gluten. We are quick to blame gluten, but there may be other causes. I react violently to shrimp, but that does not prove that shrimp contain gluten. What it does demonstrate is that I am highly allergic to shellfish. A serious issue for me, but nothing to do with celiac disease or gluten.

• 6 years later...
Kim B Newbie

I looked this subject up this morning. I ate the ground turkey last night & have been very ill all morning. There has to be something in this product because  I have had to be on a gluten free diet since 2004 & now if exposed to any gluten I become extremely ill. I know this post is old but does anyone know if this product is still considered gluten free???

Ennis-TX Grand Master
32 minutes ago, Kim B said:

I looked this subject up this morning. I ate the ground turkey last night & have been very ill all morning. There has to be something in this product because  I have had to be on a gluten free diet since 2004 & now if exposed to any gluten I become extremely ill. I know this post is old but does anyone know if this product is still considered gluten free???

They label it gluten-free...but looking over their products....a few products labeled gluten-free contain autolyzed yeast extract which normally contains just over 20ppm of gluten. (check with GFWD and other creditable sources on this) This makes me question their entire company as a whole, they also have a few items that contain gluten directly I see issues with CC. Nobody has done a independent testing of their products, nor do the get it certified. They just claim gluten-free, on this subject I would deem them one of the Gluten free for fad dieters not the medically required. Eat at your own risk. Go try Jenny O turkey as they do not use any gluten products in their facility last I checked.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived