2 2
TraceyK

How long for DH rash to go away?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone

I am new here and still trying to get a diagnosis for the hideous rash that I have been living with for over a year but I have started to go gluten free while I wait and I am just wondering how long it takes for the rash to clear up once strictly gluten-free? It’s only been one week and so far I cannot tell any difference But I’m thinking maybe that’s too soon to know anything? Would love any and all input from you lovely people!

There is no hard & fast answer. Everyone is different. Read a bunch of threads in this topic listing & you can see how much it varies.

I'm about to somewhat undo my progress, having to go back on gluten so that testing will register. But here's my very recent experience, starting from over a month ago, until today.

After about 48 hours of going gluten free, I began to notice the itching intensity subside. At this point in time, all itching still felt the same for me.

After about a week, the itching definitely was subsiding, but was still there. The rash patches began to get smaller.

Two weeks in and the patches are reducing even more visibly. At one point I think I have ingested gluten via cross contamination, and notice itching increase several hours after suspected consumption, but this subsides later.

By about the third week, thick DH plaques on my calves and ankles are very visibly reduced. One patch is only darkened skin.

Week five, and I have a couple of gluten experiences: airborne seemed to cause some additional itching and reappearance of some DH lumps that disappeared on one of my forearms. An accidental ingestion of gluten via an unknown bowl of chili (I should have known better, but was starved, and that was the only real food there), and by the next afternoon, I could feel new DH rash forming with intense itching. This is when I realized that the itch from an emerging DH eruption was distinctly different than the dry/damaged skin itching of the slowly subsiding DH rash. A couple of days later, I have mostly recovered from this incident. I also later realize that the severe itching and rash I had on the back of my neck hasn't been bothering me for some time, and the rash is mostly cleared up, except for darkened skin.

Now in week seven, and I have just taken pictures of my patches. They are very much clearer than before going gluten free. I took these pictures to document what will happen, as I just deliberately ate pizza to kick off my gluten challenge. Maybe my imagination, but I think I am beginning to feel itchier, and in areas where the DH had cleared up, and not on remaining damaged skin.

You know you have to eat gluten every day for 12 weeks for testing don't you? That is for either the celiac blood panel or the dh biopsy. 60% of those with dh test negative on the blood panel. 

• Upvote 1