• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest southgoingzax

Need Help With Finding Out If Supplements Are Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Guest southgoingzax

Hi everyone,

I know it is the holidays and people aren't likely to be posting, but I desperately need answers, so I am hoping someone out there can help.

To make a long story short, I have celiac disease and IBS (yes, one diease was not enough for me) and as a result, I suffer from malabsorption issues. The nurse practitioner I am seeing ran some tests through NeuroScience Inc. Laboratories in Osceola, WI. Has anybody heard of them or take their supplements? Anyway, my NP sent me some supplements she wants me to start taking. She knows I have celiac disease, of course, but when I received the supplements, the label does not say they are gluten free. The label says:

"Does not contain wheat, corn, soy, salt, sucrose, starch, yeast, artificial flavors, artificial colorings, or other known allergens."

Of course, since it is the holidays, I can't reach my NP nor the company to verify if they are GLUTEN-FREE. Does this label mean "gluten-free" and not say it, am I being paranoid in not taking them, or does anybody know these supplements and if they are suitable for celiacs? I searched the company website to no avail.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

zax

Zax--You are not being paranoid--we have to be very careful. Call the 800# on the bottle or email the company and ask. If it takes a few days to find out, then go without the supplements for a few more days. I am leary too when it simply says--no wheat and doesnt list the others--most will say no wheat or gluten, then I feel safe. Although, Puritan Pride has a multiple vitamin that states no gluten and then in the ingreds there is barley grasses. They state that they dont feel there is enough gluten from the barley to constitute gluten. I told them that any gluten is too much and I will not purchase that product! Always be safe by calling or asking someone who uses the product who is also celiac! Deb

Merry Christmas!

At first glance of their allergy statement- it seems that they would be gluten free. "No other known allergens." If you can't reach the company, then I'd wait. A few more days isn't going to make a huge difference right?

While you're waiting, I'd see if you can find their website and look for any statements on allergy information and packaging. See if they mention gluten anywhere. If so then the statement on the bottle is probably meant to reflect gluten-free too.

I'll look right now and see what I can find for you..

Guest southgoingzax

Thank you both for your kind replies. I did thoroughly search the website and could not turn up anything. I was sort of frantic when I first posted, and I have calmed down now. It's just that I want so badly to just feel better, you know? I was diagnosed in October of 2003, but because of my IBS I have had no real improvement of my symptoms or my malabsorption issues. My hair is falling out, it's that bad. And I finally found a medical provider who seems to actually listen to me, so I really, really wanted to take these supplements in the hope that I would FINALLY feel better and get healthier. I will just have to wait, though.

Thanks again, it means a lot to me,

zax

Zax:

For every week for about six, I got a B-12 shot, as I was not absorbing through the normal rounds that most do. Everything that I ate during this time went into the can, so to speak. I am now doing this once a month. That first shot was wonderful and I had be best energy that I have had in months. I would strongly suggest that. As I was healing, the effect was less apparent because I was absorbing more vitamines and retaining things longer. Vitamine D is also essential to fight bone loss.

I take a daily Oil of Olay multi and Sweet Essentials Calcium Chews 2x's (they taste like a tootie-roll and are gluten free).

Hope this will be helpful. :)

Lisa B.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• April 17, 2019 Until April 27, 2019
      April 17-27, 2020   For the past few years many of you have asked us to arrange a River Boat Cruise that will allow us to visit Amsterdam's famous Keukenhof Gardens at its prime time of the blossoming of the millions of Tulips and Hyacinths - alongside the windmills of the Netherlands.  With the participation of a minimum of 20 persons we have arranged an All-Inclusive Cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam.  This cruise will not be offered to the public until January, 2019 and always sells out quickly.   THERE WILL BE NO MONEY REQUIRED NOR COMMITMENT FROM YOU until we have all the final costs and details.  If you are at all interested check out our website for as many of the details that we have as of this time.   We need your request to be placed on a list of interested participants so we can present that number to Uniworld to show we have the sincere interest in this All-Inclusive Bob & Ruth's Gluten-free Cruise.   PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR THE DETAILED INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE AS OF THIS TIME.   http://bobandruths.com
    • April 24, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • May 04, 2019 Until May 05, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com