Rate this topic

We are waiting for my sons annual celiac panel to come back. Can even the smallest trace of cross contamination to show up on his blood work? Just curious as we are very new to this. Thank you!! 

It depends.  I think you said earlier that you suspected him getting gluten exposures at school.  Everyone is different, but a few small exposures can trigger the immune system.  Remember it can just be a crumb.  20 ppm is very tiny amount! And that cut off is just an average.  Some sensitive celiacs can not even handle that!  Antibodies will ramp up slowly and can last for months or years.  It all depends on the person.

Monitoring the gluten-free diet using the antibodies is not the best, but it is the only non-evasive tool in the toolbox.  They were developed to help diagnose celiac disease and not monitor diet.  

I think you just need to wait to see the results.  Again, make sure a 504 plan is in place at school and that students and staff are following it.  

Thank you!! I am very anxious to get his results. It’s so hard to know if we are being diligent enough with his diet and all the ways he can get CC.