Rate this topic

Hi all, I’m new to this group. I’ve been gluten free for a year now with celiac. I’m very careful at home, but find I get diarrhea every time I eat out. Recently we moved and I’ve been having a severe flare up. I’m experiencing what I think is brain fog, dizziness, vertigo, to the point that it’s affecting my everyday functioning-similar to when I’ve forgotten to take my medication for a few days. I’ve been on generic Zoloft for years without issue, but I recently read that a reader found that a flare up prevented the absorption of medication. Has anyone ever heard of this? Am I just experiencing brain fog?? Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance. 

Nicole

It sounds like you still might be getting gluten into your diet.  

My suggestion is to stop eating out until you are sure you are well.  Every time you eat out, it is like playing Russian Roulette.    The exception is a 100% dedicated gluten free restaurant.  Even then, you need to take into consideration any food intolerances you may have (like I can not consume garlic or Xanthan Gum).  

Confirm every single time that your medication is gluten free.  Generics change all the time.  Verify with the manufacturer as well as the pharmacist.  

If you are in an active flare up, malabsorption is definitely possible.  But brain fog, anxiety, and depression are all symptoms of active celiac disease.  Those symptoms might completely resolve if you heal from celiac disease.  

Get follow-up testing.  It will help determine if you are adhering to the diet.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/how-often-should-follow-up-testing-occur/

Edited by cyclinglady