6 6
vvicin02

Little Improvement on GFD with Blood Work

Rate this topic

Well I got my results today and I really thought I would see better numbers. My ferritin improved from 17 to 46 and Gliadin IgG Antibody dropped from 113 to 48 and my Gliaddin IgA dropped from 102 to 38. However, my Tissue Transglutaminase IgA was 193 then two months later it dropped to 154 and then two months after that it only went down to 150. I really thought I would see a lower number since my Ferritin seems to be improving. Am I doing something wrong with my diet? It has been 4 months. Since I asymptomatic I cannot tell if I am getting exposed. I do not know what to cut from my diet. I never eat out. Anyone else experience this? 

Four months isn't very long. As long as your numbers keep going down you should be good. CYA I'm not a doc.

It looks to me very exciting. Ferritin moved very slowly for me and yours jumped much!  I feel that it is a great sign.  I don't have experience with the other numbers.  Keep up the good work!

I am also asymptomatic and my antibody levels decreased slowly. What type of processd foods do you eat?

I try to avoid as much processed foods as I can. But I have to admit I do eat some Gluten Free processed foods like: Gluten Free Rice Cereal (ingredients look okay - rice, can sugar), cranberry juice, Costco Gluten Free Cashew Clusters, Frito's, Breyers Vanilla Ice Cream, home made bread (tapioca flour, corn starch and brown rice flour), homemade jam and McCormick spices on meats. I stopped drinking coffee and cream thinking there might some cross reaction. I also stopping using skim milk in my granola cereal (made up of gluten-free nuts from nuts.com) and went with Almond milk. My wife is not gluten-free so I have to be very careful where I prepare my food.

How much progress did you make improving your antibody levels? I am glad my Ferritin is dropping but I thought there would be a greater decrease in my Transglutaminase iGa numbers. Thank you both for your feedback.

You are doing well!  It can take years for the TTG to come down.  Really.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/after-going-gluten-free-can-a-positive-ttg-mean-anything-other-than-gluten-present-in-my-diet/

Keep up the good work!  And since I am having my first morning cup of coffee with cream, I suggest you do too!  It will not cause a celiac flare up.  Need more convincing?  I am healed based on a repeat endoscopy and I never gave up plain old coffee and cream.  Since I am no longer lactose intolerant, I consume plenty of dairy.  

Edited by cyclinglady

lol thank you so much cyclinglady (love that name) - I really miss my coffee. Thank you so much.

Most of  my antibody levels were normal within a year, but my DgP IgA was very stubborn and took several years and a very strict diet - eating limited processed food and that only when certified gluten free. You’re doing great for four months.  Keep up the good work!

Thank you RMJ. Glad you are doing well also. This Celiac journey is a real challenge. There are days when it seems too much to handle. I appreciate the support - I am a rookie at this..lol

Hey vvicin02, I am so glad that your ferritin is better. Do you take supplements or is it just that you are absorbing better already? WOW! That's great! 

I am also a rookie, I understand those moments where you get discouraged. I am trying to find solutions. Having at least 1 or 2 small meals in my fridge at all times helps. When I eat, I serve myself and my tupperware at the same time. That way I don't overeat and have something to grab if I need it. It is so helpful for those moments when you just don't want to cook and keeps you from eating processed foods. Good luck!

Hi healthysquirrel, I did not take any supplements. I assume because like you said my villi is healing allowing for absorption. I was a little perplexed why my ferritin improved but my anti tissue did not improve as much as I thought. I guess it's on its way.

That is a good idea on the food - I need to take time out and prepare some foods and have it ready. Boy - I miss the days when I could eat anything I want..lol. At least now I am forced to eat more fruit and less sugary foods (my weakness). Thank you for the feedback - I had mac and cheese today...