3 3
bri53

Excess Hunger and Fainting

Rate this topic

Hey all,

About 3 years ago I started passing out when I didn't eat and I've always had nausea issues. This May I got a "stomach bug" (not sure what it was as I've had 8 since then) and my hunger and fainting issue got worse. I always feel hungry no matter how much I eat and the hunger is why I pass out. I also when I eat I have this half full half starving feeling. I've done all the tests for thyroid, diabetes and even neurology. I also have episodes of great nausea and occasional vomiting. I'm always slightly nauseous and I do not produce bowel movements often.  I'm currently waiting on an endoscopy and colonoscopy procedures to be done. Celiac bloodwork came back normal. CT scan showed thickening of colon walls. 

Did anyone else experience extreme hunger that you're unable to satisfy prior to diagnoses? I'm also always thirsty. 

Edited by bri53

It is good that you are getting a colonoscopy and and endoscopy.  You can ask your doctor if you had the complete celiac panel.  Often they just order the screening TTG which does not catch all celiacs.  If they find villi damage, insist on the entire celiac panel.  

If celiac disease is firmly ruled out, make sure they also rule out Inflammatory Bowel Disease like Crohn’s or Ulcerative Colitis.

As far as hunger and fainting, those can be attributed to so many illnesses besides celiac disease.  It sounds like you are heading on the right path to a diagnosis.  In the meantime, keep eating gluten as all celiac testing (even the biopsies) require you to be eating gluten every single day!  

If you are not diagnosed with celiac disease, consider trialing the gluten free diet or the Autoimmune Paleo diet to help you manage your illness.  Food can heal!  

Edited by cyclinglady

Extreme thirst and fainting could also be an issue with you blood sugar levels so talk to your doctor about it as they may want to check you for diabetes.

9 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

Extreme thirst and fainting could also be an issue with you blood sugar levels so talk to your doctor about it as they may want to check you for diabetes.

Blood sugar was perfect. That was the first thing I got tested for and it all came back great. Even tested it over a full month period. No unusual numbers and no drops when I have symptoms.

Thickening of the colon wall can be an indication of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD).    It is most likely the reason your GI ordered an endoscopy and colonoscopy after seeing the CT  scan results.  But keep in mind, you can have both celiac disease and IBD.