Rate this topic

I was told that I had Celiac about 5 years ago and went on a strict gluten free diet, and I no longer had symptoms. Over the last year I have eaten small amounts of food that had gluten, and have not had noticed any effect. Recently I ate a bowl of spaghetti, and no effect.  What's going on?

4 hours ago, dfamy said:

I was told that I had Celiac about 5 years ago and went on a strict gluten free diet, and I no longer had symptoms. Over the last year I have eaten small amounts of food that had gluten, and have not had noticed any effect. Recently I ate a bowl of spaghetti, and no effect.  What's going on?

Celiac doesn't go away.  But, there are a couple of things to consider.

How were you diagnosed?  Perhaps it was wrong?

Some people notice that if they are gluten-free for a long time , that a small exposure might not bother them.  It could be that  they are slow to get an immune response .   It could be that they have an immune response but, for some reason, are not feeling the effects.  It might take a larger amount of intestinal damage for these people to "feel it".  

Celiac disease is like a chameleon.  Symptoms can change.  It is one reason getting a diagnosis can be difficult.  

Chances are your gut has healed.  But if you continue to consume gluten you will start redamaging your small intestine and possibly develop another autoimmune disorder.  Celiac disease may go into remission, but there is no cure.  Maybe you were misdiagnosed?  Were you biopsy confirmed?