3 3
tspiggy

Horizon Organic Low Fat Eggnog Safe?

Rate this topic

This has probably been asked before, but I can't find answers dated past 2009.  Is Horizon Organic Low Fat Egg Nog gluten free?  Although it's not certified, the manufacturer states on its website that the product is gluten-free and the ingredients seem to be fine (I was dx 6 years ago and know my ingredients inside and out by now)...except maybe the "natural flavors", which always raise a red flag.  I Nima tested it twice and came up with a "Gluten Found" result both times; now I'm afraid to drink it.  Nima support says the device is designed to detect gluten above 20 ppm, but it can sometimes detect levels below that and it's up to me to determine whether or not to use the product.  Unfortunately, the results only indicate whether or not gluten is present and not the amounts.  Your thoughts?

Drink it.  I use Horizon’s heavy whipping cream and Half and Half every single day.   I would trust it.   I have tried all the Commercial egg nogs.   I prefer Strauss Organic egg nog  because it is simply milk, cream, egg, sugar, and nutmeg.   Heavenly!  Worth the $7.00 a quart.  But this is a California product, so it might not be distributed nationwide.  They make some great ice cream and even have Cookies and Cream.  They use Pamela’s gluten-free cookies, if I recall.  

Nima?  There are some severe limitations.  The Gluten Free Watchdog is not recommending it for this very reason.  

FYI. My last endoscopy revealed healed villi and that was after drinking copious amounts of egg nog last Christmas.  😆

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tspiggy said:

This has probably been asked before, but I can't find answers dated past 2009.  Is Horizon Organic Low Fat Egg Nog gluten free?  Although it's not certified, the manufacturer states on its website that the product is gluten-free and the ingredients seem to be fine (I was dx 6 years ago and know my ingredients inside and out by now)...except maybe the "natural flavors", which always raise a red flag.  I Nima tested it twice and came up with a "Gluten Found" result both times; now I'm afraid to drink it.  Nima support says the device is designed to detect gluten above 20 ppm, but it can sometimes detect levels below that and it's up to me to determine whether or not to use the product.  Unfortunately, the results only indicate whether or not gluten is present and not the amounts.  Your thoughts?

Check the sensor pod, if I recall correctly 3 strips is gluten, the bottom stripe is the gluten one the top two turn red no matter what I think are controls. Sometimes a false positive can be triggered on a Nima by the whole strip turning reddish when developing. That bottom stripe is the real teller and how deep or just hardly present is reactions to how much gluten.

I used to love some non dairy egg nogs(lactose intolerant over 10 years and a whey allergy)....now days I can not have sugar and turned to extracts.....Going to be honest the Egg Nog Extract from LorrAnn Oils is a god send use the stuff added to a coconut or almond milk, mix it in cookies, pies, puddings and sweeten with stuff I Can use like Swerve, Pyure, Monk Fruit, and Stevia. I keep the stuff in a dropper order by 4oz refills.

• Like 1