This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Digestive Enzyme

laf2005laurie

laf2005laurie Rookie

Always appreciate your newsletters. I just received one however that sparked curiosity concerning a new digestive enzyme named: "Aspergillus Niger".  Can someone explain how taking this revolutionary discovery could be "more healthful" for a person than an allergic reaction to gluten?  

The reason the name caught my attention is due to my new sensitivity to Xantham gum which is made out of a mold that originated in cabbage and problems with some products that have citric acid-- also made from Aspergillus Niger.  Why are we being sold mold to combat gluten? Why are we puttingn mold into non-gluten flours in the form of Xantham Gum to gain a slimey elastic quality when baked in conventional ovens when it is possible to cook gluten free flour in a microwave and obtain unsurpassed quality cakes and bread?  You can't cook wheat flour in the microwave because it contains gluten....

Xantham gum causes me (and many others have also claimed) worse intestinal distress than gluten ever did-- double over, pain as it dehydrates all the liquid surrounding it as it passes thru the intestines. Not surprisingly, the use of that mold derived xantham gum was linked to the death of premature babies when nurses decided to thicken breast milk with it to supposedly prevent choking. Elderly have also died curiously after getting products that contain it like "thick-it" in food to keep them from choking.  (The FDA has only outlawed xantham for use in pediatic premature baby food thickening.)  As a label reader now, I have watched all mainstream food producers slipping xanthum gum into their ingredients including many brands of ice cream, cream cheese, mayonaise, salad dressings, prepared mustard--and also a hefty percentage of gluten-free foods and flour mixtures.  In fact, it is extremely difficult to find gluten-free food without this mold bi-product in it so despite the inconvenience- I have to make my own from scratch.

Molds, aspergilllus niger which is black mold can't be good.  Molds can constriction of capillaries among other negative health effects. How can this be considered safer than being glutened?  Molds from corn cause hiddious issues-- aflatoxin that produces mycotoxins--wheat (ergot) Claviceps purpurea caused a nasty plague (St. Anthony's Fire).  People move out of their homes and businesses due to the same black mold---aspergillus niger--- Please explain how it can be safe to ingest...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I react badly to xantham gum derived from corn products, and citric acid in the same way. I found a few safe ones that did not make me sick (find they are made on beets or other medium) but still avoid them. I love the article Califlour Foods did on why they do not use it.
I personally run a gluten free bakery and do chef work, I turned to stuff like psyllium husk and on rare occasions I use guar gum or a hint of starch from tapioca or arrowroot for that gum texture in baked goods, sauces, etc.

As to the enzyme to break down gluten....stuff is a joke. GlidenX helped me a bit with how long I was sick, really reduced the vomiting time and how severe my ataxia was. But as a miracle pill to help you...NOPE, gluten passes down your throat via nose or mouth and your screwed buddy the immune system just went red alert on those proteins smaller then germs. The enzymes just reduce the mount so your army might just use small arms on it instead of nuking your GI tract but your still going to feel it suffer damage from the cross fire.

Posterboy Mentor

Laurie,

It might also be your emulsifier ... in your foods.

They have been tied to IBS/IBD in certain people.

Here is an article about it

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/02/common-ingredient-packaged-food-may-trigger-inflammatory-disease

Xanthan gum is a common emulsifier.

Ennis_tx has given you good alternatives to Xanthan Gum.

If you are having trouble with Xanthan Gum specifically you might be reacting to corn.

Here is research about how some celiac's can/might also be reacting to corn entitled

"Maize Prolamins Could Induce a Gluten-Like Cellular Immune Response in Some Celiac Disease Patients"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3820067/

This research is only about 5 years old so it will be another decade before this information makes it into clinical practice.

celiac.com featured an article about how in some celiac's pellagra can also develop . .. though considered rare I believe it happened in my case.

here is the article that summarizes these connections.

https://www.celiac.com/celiac-disease/journal-of-gluten-sensitivity/journal-of-gluten-sensitivity-winter-2017-issue/a-differential-diagnosis-how-pellagra-can-be-confused-with-celiac-disease-r3989/

good luck on your continued journey.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

I wrote a celiac.com posterboy blog post explaining my experience with developing Pellagra inside/with my celiac diagnosis.

https://www.celiac.com/blogs/entry/2101-i-had-celiac-disease-and-developed-pellagra/

I hope it helps you the way it did me.  And if it does tell others. . .that is all I ask. ... I know I am not alone. . .but few people today (can) see the connection because Pellagra hasn't been see in medical practice in 70+ years unless you are an alcoholic or homeless!

“Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.n

2 Timothy 2: 7 

Posterboy by the grace of God,

Archived