This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Brushed Stainless Steel Cross Contamination?

GF Joe

GF Joe Newbie

We're a household of one Celiac and the rest non-gluten free, and we have certain dishes, containers, utensils, etc, that are used exclusively for gluten free eating, and other things (such as glassware, ceramic, etc) that we use for both.  We're looking at buying an Instant Pot, which has a brushed stainless steel cooking pot.  We understand that stainless steel cookware is safe to share between gluten and gluten-free foods (as long as it's washed really well after use), but does anyone know if brushed stainless steel poses any kind of contamination issue?  Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RMJ Mentor

It could be risky.  I had one stubborn antibody level that finally went down to normal after I got rid of my brushed stainless steel saucepan.  Might just be coincidence though.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Good question.  Maybe contact the manufacturer?  

I have an Instant Pot, but my pot has a shiny stainless liner.  The latest liners appear to be shiny inside and brushed on the outside.  So the brushed metal might not be a concern.   Many Instant Pot gurus advocate for buying a secondary pot.  You could keep one for gluten and the other gluten free....but the lid is hard to clean.  I am kind of sloppy with mine as I cook daily with cast iron.  I never worry about bacteria as I preheat them.   I figure the steam will kill any germs I may have missed on the Instant Pot lid.    I would not like any gluten left over from something like pasta to ooze back (drip) into my gluten-free food.  The issue with the lid is that there is a ring that holds the silicon seal that can be hard to clean (not impossible), but the big issue is cleaning the steam release mechanism.  Not impossible, but just harder. You know....”Mom, were you wearing your reading glasses last night when you washed this pot?”  Do over.......sigh!  

If you get one, go with the original brand.  Consumer Reports rated it well!  

I do love my Instant Pot.  I even bake little gluten-free cakes in it.  I trade out the silicon ring seal for one dedicated for baking sweets.  This versatile appliance travels with us in our RV.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master

You can get liners for the steel, the issue is the lid...as mentioned get 2 of them one for gluten one gluten free. Perhaps a smaller one for the gluten free?

Beverage Rising Star

But seriously, it's very very difficult to keep your kitchen safe when gluten is going on.  Besides all the other contamination issues, no gluten flour should be used in the air space that the Celiac would be in.

Why not just get the InstaPot and only use it for gluten free cooking.  Most things you would cook in it (I just made a whole chicken last night), made stews and chilis, all that can easily be made gluten free and taste exactly the same.  Then you don't have to make 2 batches of whatever you are making. 

If one person in the family has Celiac's then you know that everybody else needs to get the blood test once a year regardless if symptoms or not.  To avoid that need, each person can get the DNA test to see if they even have the potential for Cceliac's, and those would then be able to not have to have the annual blood screening test.

Why not use this as an opportunity to show everybody how good well made food is, that it does not need gluten to taste good, just in case someone else develops it.  If one person in the family has it, the chances are greater for others.  Then they'll be that much further along in their journey if they have already experienced good gluten free food and the positive support of their family.  And think of how wonderful it will feel to the one that has Celiac's, that there is not something so wrong with them, they are not so different, and the whole family supports them.  The mental part of Celiac's is so serious, this would be such a feeling of one place they can always be safe, eating at home with the family.

GF Joe Newbie

Thanks for all the responses! Sorry for my delay in getting back. Been busy. You've all been very helpful and thoughtful. We've decided to go with the Instant Pot, and we're buying an extra pot for it ($30 extra).  One will be used exclusively for gluten-free, and one for non-gluten-free.  My daughter is almost 18 and was diagnosed with Celiac Disease just over half her life ago (just before she turned 9).  During this time, she's had her own tupperware containers, pots and pans, cooking utensils, etc, that we use exclusively for gluten-free food.  Many times, we will eat gluten-free as a family, but the non-gluten-free's do also eat glutened food, and we have other cookware and utensils that we use for that.  As a family, we share cutlery, plates, bowls glasses, etc. (Things that clean well).  For example, we have a ceramic crock pot that is often used for glutened food, but also often used for gluten-free food.  So far there have never been any problems with this.  We also feel safe using stainless steel for both.  But... when I saw that this Instant Pot is brushed stainless steel, it raised a red flag.  So again, thanks for all your thoughtfulness and help.

Beverage Rising Star

Hi. You need a separate lid, much more important than a separate pot.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Joe Newbie
12 hours ago, Beverage said:

Hi. You need a separate lid, much more important than a separate pot.

That is a great point.  We had been thinking about our current slow cooker, which has a glass lid that's very easy to clean, keeping it gluten-free.  But the Instant Pot does indeed have a different kind of lid that can trap food particles in it.  We'll have to rethink this.  Thanks!

cyclinglady Grand Master

They are sale now on Amazon.  For $100, you can have piece of mind.  You also have a versatile appliance that you can travel with to help you safely cook a gluten-free meal (electricity needed of course).  That (to me) is priceless.  

Archived