Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
4 4
Daveb

Sick after having Gluten

Rate this topic

So I am in my late fifties and was diagnosed with Celiac disease about 8 months ago.  I travel a lot for work and

the other day stopped in at McDonalds to have a Greek Salad, found out after it has couscous which contains wheat. 

I find that after digesting gluten I get sick about an hour later and feel terrible for hours.  Does everyone experience this?

I have been to 3 weddings and asked for Gluten free and have been sick twice, no more eating at weddings.

Dave

I am sorry you were glutened.  It is a reminder that we must always be vigilant.  Always ask questions and weigh the risks vs. the benefits.  Personally, I avoid eating out.  My reaction to gluten is now very severe and seems to contribute to the development of additional autoimmune disorders.  

I hope that you feel better soon.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daveb said:

So I am in my late fifties and was diagnosed with Celiac disease about 8 months ago.  I travel a lot for work and

the other day stopped in at McDonalds to have a Greek Salad, found out after it has couscous which contains wheat. 

I find that after digesting gluten I get sick about an hour later and feel terrible for hours.  Does everyone experience this?

I have been to 3 weddings and asked for Gluten free and have been sick twice, no more eating at weddings.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am very sorry you were glutened. I have been at this for over 10 years and one thing I have found is I am extremely sensitive to gluten. If the prep spaces touch (gluten food and non gluten food) I will get very sick. You may be very sensitive but I am going to bet your food was not, in fact, gluten free. I also got a salad from McDonald's and the seeds it came with contained gluten, salad dressing can contain gluten, getting fries can contain gluten because they share a fryer. Even at weddings, if a caterer does not understand what gluten free means you can be poisoned. Gluten can be in condiments, spices and many other ingredients. I have learned, because I am so sensitive, that you must check all labels. Personally, in my area, we do not have establishments that serve gluten free safely. I cook all my food at home and take it with me to prevent getting sick. Because I am so sensitive I even take my own knife and fork. It is a huge pain but after spending so much of the time sick and miserable being prepared is much easier. I can no go out, have a great time and know I won't be sick.

• Upvote 1

You really do have to advocate for yourself and bring your own stuff everywhere. Exceptions might be a 100% gluten free owned restaurant or a place with a dedicated gluten free kitchen, we have a few in the city north of here with Celiac in the families.

Going on what cycling lady said....every time you get exposed you risk your immune system and body messing up more, I have developed new allergies and AI issues and ALWAYS a need food intolerance after a exposure. It is not a one day thing either, your antibodies can be active for up to 6month after.

• Upvote 1