This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Kiss My Face Soap - no more!

plumbago

plumbago Experienced

For years, I've been using Kiss My Face olive oil soap (not for my face, but mostly hand washing). It is the best. It's got three ingredients (I think) and is mostly olive oil (over 80%). Now, it's no more, for one reason or another. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement? Preferably one with very very few ingredients. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Maybe look into making soap?   It could be fun and relaxing too.  It is supposed to be easy!  

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Hey sorry late to post. I use castile based soaps around the home. They can be liquid or bar. I use the liquid as a base to make my own face soap as well adding chamomile, aloe, and essentials oils to make a custom face blend. My husband loves my face soap and actually uses it on his whole body, he says it is better than any store bought soap. His skin has been healthier since he has been using it. No more dry flakey skin for him.

Initially, I used books at the library to read up on soap making and essential oils usage. Now there are a bunch of pintrist posters who share their recipes as well. The craft stores sometimes have classes, near us some of the local park districts, & community education centers have started classes for DIY personal care products too.

Dr. Bronner's, Kirk's, are some brands there are a few others too. My Walmart sells Kirk's in bar form, Dr. Bronner's is at the health food store and vitamin store too. If you find the bar is going too fast get a loofa to increase the suds and limit the usage amount. I tend to purchase the Kirk's bar for the shower at Walmart. I get the larger size liquid version for Bronner's on Amazon to save money. You can use castile for cleaning too.  Just adjust ratio of dilution etc for the purpose you need. Just verify that any vegetable oils in the products are not an allergen to you, so maybe start smaller size to test.

I use Thayer's Witch Hazel as my toner. I called them concerned after my body started reacting to corn as I had to verify the source of the citric acid was corn free. It was so Thayer's continues to be a staple in our face care regime and my daughter also likes it too.  I blend Shea butter and coconut and scent with essential oil to make own lotion. It can be greasy so I usually just keep it at home.

Lastly, I make my own laundry detergent as well. I grate Fels Naptha, or Zotes, combined with Borax,  Washing Soda, and utilize essential oils again to scent it as I wish. I forgo dryer sheets and utilize the dryer balls to fluff, as I can't do they DIY dryer vinegar version recipes as white vinegar causes me issues personally. I do occasionally make Apple Cider Vinegar homemade dryer sheets, but ACV can be expensive.  Many years back I was told that myself and my kids had eczema. We had to use sensitive laundry detergents only. Low and behold discovering our celiac issues, food intolerances, and keeping items as minimal DIY ingredients as possible has worked wonders to support our immune system and limit toxicity load on the body. Not something most people in society worry about, but for those who find it beneficial like to explore these options. By the way the eczema is food related gluten not our laundry detergent. 

Good luck finding a product that works for you or as cycling lady says perhaps explore looking into making your own.

Archived