Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
5 5
MHAC

Gluten free options for serving falafel

Rate this topic

I am a small cafe owner and am looking for ways to convert our sandwich choices (in particular, falafel) into a form suitable for celiacs. Presently we are offering the falafel as a lettuce wrap but its not that great. We serve the falafel lettuce wrap with tomato, cucumber and choice of avocado or apple slices and choice of tahini or yogurt. We would appreciate any suggestions on how to serve the falafel and other sandwiches in other ways than as a lettuce wrap. (I should specify that gluten-free breads are not an option here). Thanks!

3 hours ago, MHAC said:

I am a small cafe owner and am looking for ways to convert our sandwich choices (in particular, falafel) into a form suitable for celiacs. Presently we are offering the falafel as a lettuce wrap but its not that great. We serve the falafel lettuce wrap with tomato, cucumber and choice of avocado or apple slices and choice of tahini or yogurt. We would appreciate any suggestions on how to serve the falafel and other sandwiches in other ways than as a lettuce wrap. (I should specify that gluten-free breads are not an option here). Thanks!

Authentic Foods offers a falafel mix.
http://www.glutenfree-supermarket.com/p-17-falafel-mix.aspx

BUT YOU SHOULD KNOW, if you use flour in your kitchen nothing in it is safe for celiacs. Flour goes air borne for hours and settles everywhere. You need a dedicated kitchen area, oven, prep area, dedicated mixers, utensils, pans. etc.

DO NOT GO trying to serve to celiacs and claim it is safe for them if your not 100% sure you can follow these and keep them safe. It is a slap in the face to us and a lawsuit for you. Gluten is a protein not a germ, antibacterial and sanitizing agents wont cut it.

We react to that small settled flour on our foods, the residue in pan and pot scratches, the residue in colanders and on utensils and mixers. Our immune systems treat the gluten protein like a foreign invader and attackers on body. Some worse then others, sometimes causing brain damage, kidney failure, seizures...it is not limited to a tummy ache and diarrhea.

Hi and thanks for the feedback. In response to Authentic Foods, our falafel recipe is gluten free, we do not use or need a mix for the falafel. What I am looking for is a more appealing way to serve the falafel without pita or any bread, so I am not interested in your mix.  I do however, appreciate your advice on a gluten free kitchen. Every person who tells us s/he is a celiac is informed that while we take care to be sensitive to their needs, we have a small kitchen and we can not promise that there will not be any crossover. Beyond that, I don't know what else we can do. Please, no more advertisements for a gluten free falafel mix.

Hi Scott Adams and thanks for the feedback. Our falafel recipe is gluten free, we do not use or need a mix for the falafel. What I am looking for is a more appealing way to serve the falafel without pita or any bread, so I am not interested in any mix. 

I go to a gluten free cafe where they serve falafel in a teff wrap.

2 minutes ago, MHAC said:

Hi and thanks for the feedback. In response to Authentic Foods, our falafel recipe is gluten free, we do not use or need a mix for the falafel. What I am looking for is a more appealing way to serve the falafel without pita or any bread, so I am not interested in your mix.  I do however, appreciate your advice on a gluten free kitchen. Every person who tells us s/he is a celiac is informed that while we take care to be sensitive to their needs, we have a small kitchen and we can not promise that there will not be any crossover. Beyond that, I don't know what else we can do. Please, no more advertisements for a gluten free falafel mix.

Yeah perhaps set up a separate area and dedicated mixer, and a dedicated fryer. If you sell them as the fried balled form try with a salad, or covered in cheese, a side to a veggie tray of raw, or roasted veggies and a cream based or tomato based dip like marinara or ranch. Do not thing of serving it with a bread, the fafalfel is a carb and a bread itself so think of things to go with it.
Soups could also pair well, or pairing with a side of a cooked meat like fish.

Consider a spring roll wrap as well, which can be found in most Asian markets.

This is a great question, as I would love a good falafel sandwich again -- I would try to find pre-packaged pita and store/handle it carefully.  Or the spring roll idea, something that approximates the experience of a pita.  If that's just not possible, maybe a rice/lentil or quinoa bowl.

One of the things that always bothers me in falafel places is that I never feel safe having toppings on my falafel, because even if you change your gloves, each of the toppings is contaminated by every spoon that goes in after having put something in a pita.  Sometimes a falafel place will go into a fresh bin for toppings for me, but usually it's too busy, so I end up with just plain falafel and maybe a bit of tahini if the squeeze bottle feels safe.  Sadness.

If you have the space for a small gluten-free topping station, I'd travel far to find you 😉

Thanks for trying!