Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
disgruntledceliac

Tea and celiac?

Rate this topic

Did six months on the Fasano diet to clear up my DH. Feeling a world better now, and am trying some foods/beverages not included in the diet.

What's the word on herbal tea? I was gifted some Tetley green mint tea, but haven't tried it yet. I know that tea itself shouldn't have any gluten in it, but I'm always cautious about cross-contamination in factories. I've also heard of tea bags that include gluten.

Any experiences to share?

Republic of Tea is all certified Gluten Free. I use their green teas, I have issues with black teas for some reason...just gives me a upset stomach out of the blue about 3 years ago. Either the tannins in them or the fact they ferment them but black tea became a issue.
I found some herbal teas like rooibo do the same stomach upset to a lesser extent, it is not gluten just does not sit well.
https://www.republicoftea.com/

I've had a lot of trouble with tea... I think the issue is that many herbal teas contain spices/flavourings which may be CC'd, and that most teas come from Asia where there is a bit less allergen awareness/less likely to have allergen management plans in factories (shared lines, some teas contain barley). I think the tea bag thing is a bit of a myth - wheat paste wouldn't work too well in boiling water.

I've never seen any gluten-free labelled teas in any store I shop at, unfortunately. Prominent tea brands have had gluten recalls (eg: https://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2016/celestial-seasonings-tea-recalled-for-undeclared-barley/?fbclid=IwAR3c-6hghabOXc0Nf4s5YPmgiQE_fNbW0b5dAkIJquertlu92sMbgwKkS9Y ). Based on my experiences and the recalls I've seen, I wouldn't buy a tea that wasn't labelled. I stick with coffee (don't worry about labeling, but avoid flavoured and store brands), and hot chocolate (labelled gluten-free).