• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Prasad

Magnesium

Rate this topic

I take 3 magnesium tablets (500mg each) everyday to have regular bowel movement everyday. Is it okay.

i read somewhere that we should not take more than 800mg / day.

is anybody have any information on magnesium intake,

Thank you.

Depends on form, magnesium citrate is the one that can give you D. While Magnesium Glycinate....never had it happen.
I have experimented with using Natural Vitality Calm Powder, we call it dosing to tolerance, You start at 1/4tsp or 2grams, and you up it 2grams each day til you get loose stools then back it down so they are formed but easy.
Previously I used to have to take 18g twice daily when I first started. After much healing I take 4-8g a dose depending on stress, and how active I am as both can deplete levels. ALSO if you eat sugar or carbs you deplete magnesium more. Since going Keto/atkins over a year ago my dosing went to needing only half.

Prasad,

Ennis_tx has given you good advice. ...it is the form that matter most and having it spaced out (with meals).

Citrates in higher doses 200mg plus on empty stomachs can cause some flushing.

Glycinate can be taken with our without meals without the "flushing" some people experience in higher amounts.  Usually this only happens in the powder/or liquid forms.I never had magnesium citrate flush me when I took tablets on/with a meal.

The toxic levels of magnesium is closer to 5,000mg according to NHI. .. and this might bee from the Aluminum used in laxatives to bind the magnesium.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/#en59

quoting "Very large doses of magnesium-containing laxatives and antacids (typically providing more than 5,000 mg/day magnesium) have been associated with magnesium toxicity [59],"

Most people notice the D associated with Magnesium Citrates and think it is the magnesium ... when usually it is the Citrate form interacting your stomach acid turning into citric acid which is a mild laxative.

Ironically the flushing is from the unbound unabsorbed magnesium.. ..and why lower absorbed forms like mangesium oxides are used in laxatives.

quoting the NHI "Too much magnesium from food does not pose a health risk in healthy individuals because the kidneys eliminate excess amounts in the urine [31]. However, high doses of magnesium from dietary supplements or medications often result in diarrhea that can be accompanied by nausea and abdominal cramping [1]. Forms of magnesium most commonly reported to cause diarrhea include magnesium carbonate, chloride, gluconate, and oxide [14]. The diarrhea and laxative effects of magnesium salts are due to the osmotic activity of unabsorbed salts in the intestine and colon and the stimulation of gastric motility [58]."

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

Posterboy by the Grace of God,

Thank you for the information. 

Dies celiac cause magnesium deficiency? B’cos I never had this problem before my celiac diagnosis.

yes I take magnesium citrate tablets.

1 hour ago, Prasad said:

Thank you for the information. 

Dies celiac cause magnesium deficiency? B’cos I never had this problem before my celiac diagnosis.

yes I take magnesium citrate tablets.

Yes it does, major things it effects are magnesium, vitamin D, iron, B-vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin K, etc. Damaged guts are like a bucket with holes, your only going to absorb some of what you eat or take and everyone is different. We also need less of stuff as we heal.

Prasad,

I like to quote the research where you can read it for yourself. .. when possible.

Here is is a study on common deficiencies in newly diagnosed celiacs entitled "Vitamin and mineral deficiencies are highly prevalent in newly diagnosed celiac disease patients."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24084055

you might not of noticed a Magnesium deficiency or even test low for it until you feel like your batteries are running half low  .... all the time.  I had CFS symtoms before taking Magnesium.

People are said to "waste away" when we are low in Magnesium.

My fatigue, energy, and muscle cramps went away after starting Magnesium Citrate supplementation and I begin remembering my dreams for this time in years and years. 

I now dream regular and I love it and especially not waking up in the middle of the night with pain inducing charlie horses ....with Magnesium Citrate with meals you are on the right track.

As always "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things”

2 Timothy 2: 7 “

Thank you. Good information.

i checked the bottle it is magnesium oxide, I was mistaken before I did not read the label properly.  

All my lab tests are normal.  According to my primary care doctor.

bit I take prescription of levothyroxine for my Hashimoto thyroiditis diagnosed long back may be 15 yrs back.

I take magnesium oxide only as a laxative, as I started to have constipation issues after being diagnosed as celiac. 

My nutritionist told me to take magnesium oxide for constipation.

Prasad,

I probably can't help you then. ... people (typically) only do what they believe will help them.

If you want to study more about it (people testing low normal for magnesium) and why it happens here is a few links to study.

https://drcarolyndean.com/2014/05/magnesium-rbc-blood-test/

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/122992-diagnosed-with-sleep-apnea/?tab=comments#comment-998114

and these two on the link about constipation and hypothyroidism and constipation.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/constipation-and-hypothyroidism-3233144

and how to take betaineHCL to help treat your Hashimoto's.

https://thyroidpharmacist.com/articles/hashimotos-and-low-stomach-acid/

The easiest thing to do as this point is switch your Magnesium Oxide to Natural Calm Magnesium Citrate...... the powdered form of Magnesium Citrate will cause loose stools IE. help your constipation as Ennis_tx says "dose to tolerance" by that he means until the magnesium flush is apparent.. ... by causing a BM.

I have taken Magnesium Citrates for that very effect before but I had to take over 600 to 800mg in capsule/tablet form(s) to simulate what is achievable on less than half that amount as the MagCit Natural Calm powdered form.  I actually took Colace or Pericolace for Constipation before I found out about Magnesium Citrate. ..plus it gives you all the other benefits you take Magnesium for ....like helping fatigue, muscle cramps and restful dreams!

As always “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included. 

2 Timothy 2:7