Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed celiac disease over 15 years ago and have always adhered to a strict gluten-free diet. I have never had a problem with alcohol and always am sure to drink vodkas that are at least 4 x’s distilled. With that said, I was at a club and ordered a top shelf vodka with tonic, (over 4 x’s  distilled). Within 15 minutes I knew I had been glutened. I later went on the website of the distillery and it identified the vodka as handcrafted.  

Is anyone aware of any handcrafted processing that would add gluten back into vodka, as is done with double malted scotch?

Hopefully someone will respond to your question.  Maybe your Glass was dirty.  When bars are busy, glasses are not run through the dishwasher.  They are dunked in a anti-bacterial solution.  Possibly wiped with a contaminated bar towel.  Maybe your glass was compromised?  Just a thought.  

When the bar is busy, I ask for a paper or plastic cup because I was a bar maid back in my university days.   I saw it all. 

I'm celiac to and have found most vodkas do contain gluten.but Smirnoff vodka 21.dosnt not contain gluten .hope this helps.

Tito's corn made vodka is gluten-free.