Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
3 3
jennica

When did you notice symptoms?

Rate this topic

Hey everyone! My mom, brother, and I all have Celiac Disease, so of course I'm keeping an eye out for symptoms in my son. He's 10 months old and is really starting to eat a lot of table food. I haven't been restricting gluten because I know if he does have Celiac, it won't be able to be diagnosed if he hasn't had any gluten in his diet. Anyways.. a couple of weeks ago he got a rash on his back (little red spots, a little raised) and I noticed a spot that looked like eczema on his booty. The way my brother reacts to gluten is eczema, so that is what immediately came to mind. I took him to the doctor and mentioned my concerns and he said not to worry about Celiac Disease yet and gave me some hydrocortisone cream for the rash. It has been about 2 weeks and the rash isn't red, but it is still bumpy on his back and the spot on his butt has seemed to get worse. He is a happy baby, doesn't seem to have tummy issues, and has gained weight fine (a little on the skinny side, but not concerning). My question is... when did you start to notice symptoms in your child and what were they? Should I insist on testing even though his pediatrician doesn't think we need to worry about it yet? Thanks in advance!

Hopefully, he does not develop celiac disease.  Testing for antibodies in children under the age of three is tricky.  They are still developing their immune system.

https://www.beyondceliac.org/living-with-celiac-disease/info-for-parents/testing/

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/at-what-age-should-children-get-tested-for-celiac-disease/

Eczema can be due to many things (food allergies), but it is a good idea to keep an eye on it since this is how your brother presents when exposed to gluten.  

I get your concern.  My kid so far has tested negative, but I am always watching.  No sense in letting her suffer like I did (long time in getting a diagnosis).  

Keep researching.  If and when you have him tested, insist on the complete panel.  I did read that kids seem to do better with the DGP tests when they are young.  

1 hour ago, jennica said:

Hey everyone! My mom, brother, and I all have Celiac Disease, so of course I'm keeping an eye out for symptoms in my son. He's 10 months old and is really starting to eat a lot of table food. I haven't been restricting gluten because I know if he does have Celiac, it won't be able to be diagnosed if he hasn't had any gluten in his diet. Anyways.. a couple of weeks ago he got a rash on his back (little red spots, a little raised) and I noticed a spot that looked like eczema on his booty. The way my brother reacts to gluten is eczema, so that is what immediately came to mind. I took him to the doctor and mentioned my concerns and he said not to worry about Celiac Disease yet and gave me some hydrocortisone cream for the rash. It has been about 2 weeks and the rash isn't red, but it is still bumpy on his back and the spot on his butt has seemed to get worse. He is a happy baby, doesn't seem to have tummy issues, and has gained weight fine (a little on the skinny side, but not concerning). My question is... when did you start to notice symptoms in your child and what were they? Should I insist on testing even though his pediatrician doesn't think we need to worry about it yet? Thanks in advance!

Hi, our little one had "eczema" too or so we thought from just a few months old. She progressed and gre well but then started regressing after her 12mo appointment. Virus after virus then turned into occassional spit up/throw ups and loose bowels. Followed by dehydration and not wanting to smile or even sit up when she was on the verge of walking before. Finally at 14 mo she was diagnosed and off the charts. As quickly as a month's time on gluten free diet she had regained the weight she had lost, her hair started to grow and was climbing and walking. Ask for the blood test now. Best of luck!