This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help needed with additional food intolerance issues

BarbWelch

BarbWelch Newbie

Is there anyone out there that can help support me with more the gluten-free.  I am intolerant to wheat but highly intolerant to soy and corn and eggs.  I am really depressed most days...even though I have found food to eat, it does not always end up being balanced.  I also cannot eat tomato, potatoe, bananas, apples, artichokes...and more.  I am 56 years old and have had digestion problems from birth, it was just recently that they found the other allergies.  I have been gluten-free 10 years now and that is because I found that myself and decided to not eat wheat.  I am amazed how much better I am not eating wheat.  Just wonder how close they are to adding corn to the Big 8 allergens list?  That way the corn would be listed on foos. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Have you considered the Fasano diet for a few months?  

https://res.mdpi.com/nutrients/nutrients-09-01129/article_deploy/nutrients-09-01129.pdf?filename=&attachment=1

You might still be getting wheat, barley and rye (gluten in these grains cause a celiac or NCGS to react) into your diet.  Do you consume oats?  Do you ever eat out?  Do you eat processed foods?  

If you have been gluten free (o are you just wheat free?) for a decade and symptoms are now bothering you, maybe it is something else.  Many food intolerances can resolve once the body has healed from celiac disease (but not all). 

Those food allergy-type tests are not super accurate per my allergist.  Was it a scratch test or was blood drawn?  You should look into a FODMAP diet as well.  

I would try to see a Gastroenterologist.  I was diagnosed when I hit 50.  I went in for a routine colonoscopy since all my friends were getting one.  My GI actually suspected celiac disease and I got the blood test and an endoscopy as well.  

Maybe you are actually still consuming enough gluten for the blood tests or do a challenge and consume gluten for two weeks prior to an endoscopy.  

I wish you well.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, BarbWelch said:

Is there anyone out there that can help support me with more the gluten-free.  I am intolerant to wheat but highly intolerant to soy and corn and eggs.  I am really depressed most days...even though I have found food to eat, it does not always end up being balanced.  I also cannot eat tomato, potatoe, bananas, apples, artichokes...and more.  I am 56 years old and have had digestion problems from birth, it was just recently that they found the other allergies.  I have been gluten-free 10 years now and that is because I found that myself and decided to not eat wheat.  I am amazed how much better I am not eating wheat.  Just wonder how close they are to adding corn to the Big 8 allergens list?  That way the corn would be listed on foos. 

Most of us with Celiac also have other food issues for various reasons. I tend to think that my damaged gut let food proteins into my blood stream and I got allergies to them, others I lack enzymes to break them down and get intolerance issues to, and some I am just sensitive to and they just make me instantly sick. I keep a list in my signature in my profile (Shows in all my post at the bottom). -_- I live on mostly nut butters, seed meals, eggs, porridge from the mixes of them, nut based baked goods, and veggie stir fry and soups. If I take a ton of pancreas enzymes I can eat meat even without vomiting.

Cycling lady gave a good suggestion, I would say keep a food diary and perhaps with healing some foods will come back -_-.
https://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Food-Diary
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/are-food-sensitivities-for-life

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

It really would help to know if you have celiac disease.     It was from an infant till age 56 before I was diagnosed with DH/celiac.     It was 10 years ago that I was diagnosed after suffering so many years.     I can't eat the big 4 plus onions, nuts, corn, dairy, bananas or strawberries.   On top of that I'm border line on the sugar and on a low salt diet.     It's not easy being us, but there's a price to pay for an oops or cheating.     Watch your meds for hidden gluten and corn.      Good Luck

BarbWelch Newbie

Thank you for responding to my post.  I am completely gluten free.  I buy gluten-free oats and don't eat processed foods.  I too am allergic to bananas, potatos, tomatos, melons, apples, eggs.  I don't know if I am celiac but I won't go back to eating the gluten in order to be diagnosed.  I know for myself that gluten makes me sick.  I just found out two days ago that six of my meds contain some form of corn.  I am also diabetic and my meds for diabeties has corn.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
37 minutes ago, BarbWelch said:

Thank you for responding to my post.  I am completely gluten free.  I buy gluten-free oats and don't eat processed foods.  I too am allergic to bananas, potatos, tomatos, melons, apples, eggs.  I don't know if I am celiac but I won't go back to eating the gluten in order to be diagnosed.  I know for myself that gluten makes me sick.  I just found out two days ago that six of my meds contain some form of corn.  I am also diabetic and my meds for diabeties has corn.

Do know that a percentage of celiacs respond to oats just like gluten regardless (I discovered years ago I also reacted to them). Also there are 2 types of gluten free oats, mechanically sorted...they literally just have a machine pick out the wheat grains, and protocol. I would really only suggest gluten-free harvest if you want to keep them...but as a diabetic I would question it. Do know I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, and this is very dependent on the person. My mother a type 1 diabetic has to have some carbs to keep her sugar up...my dad a type 2 went keto and removed all carbs and grains from his diet and even got off his meds for it and just controls his blood sugar by not eating carbs or sugar. I like wise am undiagnosed but found stuff like poatoes, rice, sugar spiked my glucose in addition to flaring my UC so I adopted a atkins/keto diet.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Thanks for the additional information.  

First, avoid all oats for now.  Some celiac even react to those.  Just a small percentage, but you migh be one of them.  I do not consume oats personally.  I buy them for my hubby, but I make sure they are purity oats and organic since oats have recently been singled out as having way too many pesticides in them especially for that cereal we have all given to our babies!  Add ont organic oats to that “do not eat list” like avoiding arsenic found in apple juice and rice (buy rice from California and read more at Consumer Reports).  

https://www.ewg.org/childrenshealth/glyphosateincereal/

I do not blame you for remaining gluten free.  My own hubby went gluten-free 12 years before my diagnosis.  Who would do that unless it was evident that gluten causes harm?  

Did your allergist advise a diet rotation of the foods you am safely consume?  That can help prevent new allergies from developing (at least that advice was being give out 20 years ago).  Maybe just getting rid of that corn in your meds will help.  Consider a compounding pharmacy.  

Consider the Fasano diet for a month or so and avoid your other food allergies/intolerances.  This can help you determine if gluten is getting into your diet.  I did this last year.  The Fasano diet failed for me, I had a repeat endoscopy and we found that my small intestine had healed, but that I developed autoimmune gastritis.  So, not all things can be blamed on gluten.  

I am a diabetic (insulin resistant).  For four years I have managed with dietary changes alone.  Research a low carb high fat diet, “eat to your meter” approach.  I think you will discover that carbs affect your blood sugar.  It might even be possible to eliminate your medication and reverse (not cure) your diabetes (does not apply to autoimmune type1 diabetes which can not be reversed but managed).  

https://www.bloodsugar101.com/

While the above link does sell a book, the website contains all the same information for free.  I bought the book for my uncle who never goes on the internet.  Jenny is well respected in the diabetes community.  

I hope you can figure it out.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

You may consider gene testing to see if you are grouped with those with celiac.    I had a co-worker go gluten free and it changed his life.     He didn't bother getting diagnosed before going gluten-free and it backfired on him down the road.     We both ended up on different job sites and I didn't see him for several years.    When we crossed paths several years later I ask how he was doing on the gluten-free diet?     He answered Great until he did something foolish and ended up in jail.     They refused his gluten-free request for food, because he was never diagnosed.      For me it was necessary to be diagnosed to get name brand medication that are certified gluten-free and corn free, covered by my health insurance.    The savings in medications is more than several thousand dollars per year for me.    Good Luck

cyclinglady Grand Master
54 minutes ago, captaincrab55 said:

You may consider gene testing to see if you are grouped with those with celiac.    I had a co-worker go gluten free and it changed his life.     He didn't bother getting diagnosed before going gluten-free and it backfired on him down the road.     We both ended up on different job sites and I didn't see him for several years.    When we crossed paths several years later I ask how he was doing on the gluten-free diet?     He answered Great until he did something foolish and ended up in jail.     They refused his gluten-free request for food, because he was never diagnosed.      For me it was necessary to be diagnosed to get name brand medication that are certified gluten-free and corn free, covered by my health insurance.    The savings in medications is more than several thousand dollars per year for me.    Good Luck

Wow!  While I have worried about hospitalization (especially long-term care), I really never seriously considered jail.  But you never know!  

My husband had a hospitalization this year.  But without my pestering and my being a celiac disease patient, I am not sure how well they would have addressed the issue if he had been alone without a bedside advocate.  While I could not find safe food for me at the cafeteria, he did manage to consume safe hospital prepared meals (separate group from the cafeteria).  Every medication had to be cleared by me.  I worked with the hospital pharmacist (manager) who really had no idea how tough it was to confirm a drug’s gluten free status as nurses upstairs waited to administer the medications.    I think and hope the pharmacy department will continue to advocate for celiacs.  Each drug can change and vary by the day or even hours because most hospitals use generics.  Why advocate so hard besides the fact I love my husband?  I wanted to advocate for the next celiac!  

We have not had issues with drugs ordered from our local pharmacy.  Our insurance will pay for name brand drugs without a question because it is often easier to track down and determine its gluten-free status over a generic.  

I came prepared with gluten-free food for my husband and for myself.  They even brought in a refrigerator for us.  His nurses had me verify every drug at every administration.  Why?  If hubby gets sick from gluten it will most likely delay him being discharged in a timely manner.  The outcome for gluten exposure has both physical and financial risks for the hospital and insurance. 

I wish my hubby did have a firm diagnosis.  But I understand his hesitation to do a gluten challenge.  We kind of like paying our bills.   No wonder I carefully maintain all my medical records.  I am not ever going to have a new doctor question my celiac disease diagnosis.  

Archived