This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Full body sensations, anxiety and fluttering heart.

Lacylou

Lacylou Newbie

I have not been diagnosed as of now but am requesting to be tested soon. 

With that, I’ve had a long 2 years of trying to understand what seems like a very abrupt and harsh change within my body. 

I’m 29, I never had anxiety, all my life - one day - out of no where I had a full blown “anxiety attack” (this is what my doctor called it) that lasted for 6 hours.. heart palpitating, numb fingers, light headed, overall my whole body felt a wave of warmth and cold over and over... the sensations were something I’ve never felt before. This issue continued on and off - from moderate “attacks” to smaller more frequent ones.

After a year of being told I just have an anxiety problem I started to realize these attacks happened worse and more frequently after I had a big meal or ate odd foods. In due time I was able to determine it may be gluten and dairy causing some kind of terrible reaction in my body that very much mimicked an anxiety attack (in turn causing actual anxiety).

First I ask - does this seem normal? I have since cut out gluten and dairy as completely as I am aware and I must say this issue has almost completely diminished. So it seems to be the culprit. When I do accidentally eat gluten, I can tell almost immediately, I feel an anxious twitch, my heart starts to race.... it’s terrible. 

The odd thing though, I still have these.... weird sensations all over my body, almost like.. my nervous system has been effected by this issue. Shooting pains, weird tingles in my hands and feet, odd numbness, warm sensations and cold ones - that seemingly come from no where.... 

This is, needless to say, nerve wrecking. I feel my doctor may further attribute this to anxiety - I am nervous there is something seriously wrong with me or maybe this is some kind of natural reaction to gluten that people have when they are sensitive to it. Could this simply be residual from gluten that may still be in my system? Is this even remotely normal? 

HELP!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome! 

I think you need to seriously do some research about celiac disease.  First, it is an autoimmune disorder, like Lupus, except the trigger is known — gluten.  When a celiac ingests gluten it triggers an autoimmune reaction that can last for days, weeks or months.  The reaction damages the small intestine.  Some people have comparable symptoms, but do not have intestinal damage.  This is call Non-celiac Disease Gluten Sensitivity.  

You can rule out (or in) celiac disease by getting the antibodies tests.  The problem is you would need to be on a full gluten diet (8 to 12 weeks daily) before getting the test.  I am not sure how long you have been gluten free.  

Anxiety is common with celiac disease and many other conditions.  It is up to you how much you need a diagnosis or you can continue with your gluten free diet.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Lacylou,

If you haven't been gluten-free for very long, you should get the blood tests done ASAP.  The antibodies in the bloodstream decline when we go gluten-free and the tests become inaccurate or even useless eventually.

Anxiety is symptom some people get from celiac damage.  It may be related to deficiencies in vitamins or even gluten ataxia symptoms.  Some of  the B vitamins are used by nerve cells and they can't function at their best when the vitamin isn't available.  Celiac disease can cause poor absorption of vitamins and minerals due to gut damage.

• 4 weeks later...
ch88 Collaborator

You may also want to see to a doctor to see if it is an allergic reaction.  An elevated heart rate, anxiety and burning sensations can be symptoms of an allergic reaction. I don't know if this is the case or not.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I used to have these weird "Hyde Mode" reactions where I would get angry when exposed. I also had looping maddening thoughts, numbness in my hands/feet, this weird burning needles sensation in my back/arms/legs/chest. Most, I think was attributed to nutrient deficiencies related to the damage like B-vitamins, magnesium, etc. But some were related to gluten ataxia which was on my reactions (immune system sort of went after my nervous system and brain also).

I would not rule out your issues, this disease affects everyone a bit differently, screening and testing would be required as mentioned. Few thoughts check deficiencies listed with different B-vitamins, vitamin D, and magnesium against your issues see if it brings it up. These are common ones with this disease. Supplementing can provide temporary relief, but without the diet and healing, it is like trying to fill up a bucket with holes in it. -_-  The big one for me was the magnesium which when really low can cause that burning tingling needle feeling, rapid heartbeat, irritability, constipation (not going once a day), cramps,  sleep disturbances or blank dreams.

Posterboy Mentor

Lacylou,

I would ditto everything Ennis_Tx said. ... plus have your Iron and Zinc levels checked. . .they both can effect anxiety.

Here is some research that might help you. The first two or is on Zinc and Iron and anxiety connection and the last two is on B-Vitamins.

http://www.naturalhealthresearch.org/33570-2/

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12011-014-9963-1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4772032/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2738337/

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

Fenrir Community Regular

I had similar issues as you before I was diagnosed but also had join issues, headaches, constipation, stomach pain, bloating, and fatigue. Typically, you don't just have one or two symptoms you end up with multiple. 

No way to really know unless you get tested and you'd need to be eating gluten for the tests to work right. 

If you want to see what it's like to go through the diagnosis process you can see the link to my story in my profile. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived