julie falco

Blurry vision after gluten contamination

Rate this topic

Yes, but I am not sure it is directly related to celiac disease. I have Hashimoto’s which in the past would swing wildly going from hypo to hyper.  So crazy my doctor could not keep up.  This all calmed down once my celiac disease was diagnosed.  However a gluten exposure for me activates my  other autoimmune issues.  My eyes can definitely be affected.  My vision is blurry and often the muscles around my eye ache.  This occurs to my mother and she has Grave’s Disease (hyperthyroid).  Please get to an ophthalmologist if this persists.  My mother has permanent eye damage as a result of undiagnosed Graves Disease.  Do not mess with your eyes!  

Do your best to avoid gluten.  After my third autoimmune (AI) disorder was diagnosed, I stopped eating out unless it was a dedicated gluten-free restaurant.  Extreme? Maybe.  But I like feeling good.    I am trying to avoid another AI!  I still go out with friends.  I just eat before and order a drink.  Everyone is used to it now.  

When was the last time your antibodies were checked?  Are they declining?  

Feel better fast!  

On 2/8/2019 at 9:32 AM, julie falco said:

I ate out just having a salad, I'm going through regular contamination results, wondering if anyone has had blurry vision for a day or 2 after

Yes I get blurred vision afterwards. 

On 2/8/2019 at 9:32 AM, julie falco said:

I ate out just having a salad, I'm going through regular contamination results, wondering if anyone has had blurry vision for a day or 2 after

Yes blurred vision afterwards. 

I am a male and as soon as I eat Gluten ( even the smallest portion) my eyes get blurry after approximately 12 hours. The blurryness may take a few hours, but if I am really heavy contaminated it may take a whole day. If I drink 1-2 cups of regular coffee , it may take the whole day. The coffee enforces the effect.

Only by refraining from Gluten and coffee I can keep a clear vision. I have visited 2 doctors and they can't find anything. 

I am eating now a lot of fruits and glutenfree bread etc. Somehow I can cope. But if by mistake I get contaminated I really starts to become annoying. So I try to avoid Gluten by all mean.