This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Orange juice

kelley.m.

kelley.m. Rookie

Has anyone found an orange juice that isn't produced with the possibility of cross-contamination? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, kelley.m. said:

Has anyone found an orange juice that isn't produced with the possibility of cross-contamination? 

Where would the cc  come  from?  Oranges are not grown near wheat.  The only thing they would produce in an OJ factory is juices

Edited by kareng
Fix a stray letter
kelley.m. Rookie

Actually that’s not what I was told when I called a couple companies.

kareng Grand Master
23 minutes ago, kelley.m. said:

Actually that’s not what I was told when I called a couple companies.

What did they say?  I can’t imagine they are baking bread in an OJ factory!  ?. Some companies will give you some statement about how they don’t test for gluten so they won’t say it’s gluten-free.  

I have had many different brands of OJ with no problem.  But if you are really worried, fresh homemade juice is delicious.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I agree with Karen!  If you call, the company is not going to say it is gluten free unless they test it as required by the FDA when they label a product “Gluten Free” and in this case, it is not labeled gluten free.  

Milk is not labeled gluten free, but it is.  If it had gluten in it, it would have to be included in the ingredients list found on the label.  If I called my local dairy, they would tell me that they can not guarantee that the milk is gluten free because they do not test it.

Have you had some sort of reaction?  Orange juice can be harsh on your stomach.  In general most people will drink too much.  It takes 4 oranges to make 1 cup of OJ.  Bet most people will not consume 4 oranges in one sitting.   I once gave my daughter lots of OJ when she was ill.  I wanted to keep her hydrated as our neighbor’s little girl ended up in the hospital from the same virus.  She was dehydrated because she refused to drink.  My kid ended up at the doctors because she had an allergic reaction (rash all over her body) from too much orange juice.    Lesson learned?  Moderation.  I should have pushed water...but in moderation.  

If you really want to play it safe with the orange juice, juice it yourself.  Of course, I love this idea because I have a Valencia orange (juicing variety) tree in my backyard.  I can not recall the last time I bought orange juice.  Normally, I would push my family to eat whole fruit filled with fiber that will prevent their livers from working overtime.  Most Orange juice comes from fruit actually imported from Brazil.  But I can tell you the climate for growing oranges is not good for growing wheat.  

This is a funny video about Orange juices:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYPdTvqitg

squirmingitch Veteran

Loved that video! Now I know why I have never gotten satisfaction from store bought OJ. It never tasted like OJ to me and being from FL, I am used to tasting the real thing fresh from the tree. No comparison to the bottled stuff you buy in the store. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Used to drink simply orange years ago....god I miss that full pulp juice. -_- WIth my UC and blood sugar issues I can not lol I get by with oooflavor drops in tea/water with stevia/monk fruit, a Zevia Orange soda, or using some orange peel when brewing tea....which is actually VERY good for adding flavor.
Few of my old winter favorites were Russian tea with orange juice or just a hot glass or orange juice with cinnamon and sometimes a bit of rum.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kelley.m. Rookie

Thanks everyone. What they’re saying is that  the facility  also produces products with wheat so there can be cross-contamination. I’m not drinking too much and the reaction I’m getting is my very typical gluten exposure reaction. I don’t have time to squeeze my own so if anyone else can  recommend a brand that they haven’t gotten a reaction from I would appreciate it.  I realize everyone’s tolerance is different but that would be at least somewhere for me to start. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
3 minutes ago, kelley.m. said:

Thanks everyone. What they’re saying is that  the facility  also produces products with wheat so there can be cross-contamination. I’m not drinking too much and the reaction I’m getting is my very typical gluten exposure reaction. I don’t have time to squeeze my own so if anyone else can  recommend a brand that they haven’t gotten a reaction from I would appreciate it.  I realize everyone’s tolerance is different but that would be at least somewhere for me to start. 

https://www.simplyorangejuice.com/products

Q: Do Simply Beverages contain ingredients with any of the Big Eight allergens as defined by the FDA? 

A: No, Simply Beverages do not contain ingredients with any of the Big Eight allergens (milk, eggs, fish (i.e. bass, flounder, or cod), crustacean shellfish (i.e. crab, lobster, or shrimp), tree nuts (i.e. almonds, pecans, or walnuts), peanuts, wheat, and soybeans). We evaluate the ingredients used in all our products to make sure there are no allergens. If an ingredient does contain allergenic material from any of the Big Eight allergens defined by FDA, then that fact would be clearly disclosed on the label. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Used to drink simply orange years ago....god I miss that full pulp juice. -_- WIth my UC and blood sugar issues I can not lol I get by with oooflavor drops in tea/water with stevia/monk fruit, a Zevia Orange soda, or using some orange peel when brewing tea....which is actually VERY good for adding flavor.
Few of my old winter favorites were Russian tea with orange juice or just a hot glass or orange juice with cinnamon and sometimes a bit of rum.

Ooooh....orange peel in hot tea.  I am going to brew some now!  

cyclinglady Grand Master

If KarenG drinks orange juice it is safe.    I trust her and Jane Anderson who has Dermatitis Herpetiformis.  If Jane makes a mistake, it shows up on her skin.  She says 100% juice is safe.  Those blends (like 10% juice) could be questionable.  Read her comments here.  

https://www.verywellfit.com/gluten-free-juice-562348

• 4 years later...
Grammy K Newbie
On 2/8/2019 at 5:50 PM, cyclinglady said:

I agree with Karen!  If you call, the company is not going to say it is gluten free unless they test it as required by the FDA when they label a product “Gluten Free” and in this case, it is not labeled gluten free.  

Milk is not labeled gluten free, but it is.  If it had gluten in it, it would have to be included in the ingredients list found on the label.  If I called my local dairy, they would tell me that they can not guarantee that the milk is gluten free because they do not test it.

Have you had some sort of reaction?  Orange juice can be harsh on your stomach.  In general most people will drink too much.  It takes 4 oranges to make 1 cup of OJ.  Bet most people will not consume 4 oranges in one sitting.   I once gave my daughter lots of OJ when she was ill.  I wanted to keep her hydrated as our neighbor’s little girl ended up in the hospital from the same virus.  She was dehydrated because she refused to drink.  My kid ended up at the doctors because she had an allergic reaction (rash all over her body) from too much orange juice.    Lesson learned?  Moderation.  I should have pushed water...but in moderation.  

If you really want to play it safe with the orange juice, juice it yourself.  Of course, I love this idea because I have a Valencia orange (juicing variety) tree in my backyard.  I can not recall the last time I bought orange juice.  Normally, I would push my family to eat whole fruit filled with fiber that will prevent their livers from working overtime.  Most Orange juice comes from fruit actually imported from Brazil.  But I can tell you the climate for growing oranges is not good for growing wheat.  

This is a funny video about Orange juices:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYPdTvqitg

Try Moo milk is Not gluten free....I found it out the hard way!

trents Grand Master
13 minutes ago, Grammy K said:

Do you mean TruMoo milk?

Grammy K Newbie

Yes, auto correct changed the name......sorry!

Scott Adams Grand Master
15 hours ago, Grammy K said:

A look at the ingredients on their web site does look like they don’t contain any gluten ingredients. Is it possible you are reacting to the carrageenan and/or guar gum, as this can cause IBS symptoms in some people:

https://www.trumoo.com

Grammy K Newbie
17 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

A look at the ingredients on their web site does look like they don’t contain any gluten ingredients. Is it possible you are reacting to the carrageenan and/or guar gum, as this can cause IBS symptoms in some people:

https://www.trumoo.com

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention it was the chocolate milk......I apologize.

Scott Adams Grand Master

You may want to call them to see if there is any chance that gluten could be in their products, but the chocolate milk ingredients look naturally gluten-free, and I wonder if you might have issues with carrageenan, sugar, or even dairy?:

Milk, liquid sugar (sugar, water), contains less than 1% of cocoa (processed with alkali), cocoa, salt, carrageenan, natural flavors, nonfat milk, vitamin D3.