• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

Before being gluten-free, I used to eat the Detour protein bars occassionally. I'm a college student, and looking at my class schedule for next semester, Tuesdays are going to definately be a day where I'm eating on the go! According to Trader's Joe's list of gluten-free items, Detour (Caramel Peanut and Peanut Butter) bars are gluten-free! Given that these can be found in a regular store (I don't have a Trader Joe's too close to my school), this would be great, to be able to just throw one of these bars in my bag in case I don't have time for anything else. Looking at the ingredients I can't see anything that would be a no-go. The only thing I see is the artificial flavors, but is that something that Trader Joe's would have checked out? I also emailed the company, so we'll see if I get a response from them as well.

Thanks guys!

Caramel Peanut:

Ingredients: Designer Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein, PDUF whey protein isolate), water, GLYCERLEAN (99.7% USP Glycerine, L-Leucine, L-Taurine, CLA), chocolate coating [sugar, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, nonfat dry milk solids, cocoa powder processed with alkali, whole milk solids, soy lecthin, natural flavor, salt, artificial flavor], peanuts, caramel, soy protein isolate, gelatin, calcium caseinate, inulin, peanut flavor, rice flour, salt, sucralose (Splenda Brand), potassium sorbate.

Peanut Butter:

Ingredients: Designer Whey Protein Blend [(Whey Protein Concentrate, PDUF Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein), Soy Protein Isolate], Glycerlean [99.7% USP Glycerine, Taurine, L-Leucine, CLA], Milk Chocolate Flavored Coating (Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Soy Lecthin, Salt, Vanilla), Sugar Free Caramel (Maltitol, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Cream, Butter, Natural Flavors, Salt, Disodium Phosphate, Lecithin), Water, Gelatin, Calcium Caseinate, Peanut Flour, Cocoa Butter, Rice Flour, Natural And Artificial Peanut Flavor, Mono And Di-Glycerides, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Potassium Sorbate (As A Preservative), Natural Vitamin E (As Mixed Tocopherols), Sucralose, Neotame.

But looking at the ingredients of the other two flavors (that aren't on Trader Joe's list), they look to be safe as well. Could it just be that Trader Joe's doesn't carry the other two flavors?

Smores

Ingredients: Designer Whey Protein Blend [(Whey Protein Concentrate, PDFU Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein), Soy Protein Isolate], Glycerlean [99.7% USP Glycerine, Taurine, L-Leucine, CLA], Milk Chocolate Flavored Coating (Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali) Soy Lecthin, Salt, Vanilla), Marshmallow Flavored Layer (Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Water, Maltodextrin, Egg White Powder, Titanium Dioxide, (For Color), Lecithin, Salt, Natural And Artificial Flavors), Water, Gelatin, Calcium Caseinate, Rice Flour, Cocoa Butter, Natural And Artificial Smores Flavor, Artificial Graham Cracker Flavor, Mono And Di-Glycerides, Salt, Potassium Sorbate (As A Preservative), Natural Vitamin E (As Mixed Tocopherols), Sucralose, Neotame.

Warning: Product Contains Nuts, Soy, Egg and Milk Products.

White Chocolate Peanut Butter

Ingredients: Designer Whey Protein Blend [(Whey Protein Concentrate, PDUF Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein), Soy Protein Isolate], Glycerlean [99.7% USP Glycerine, Taurine, L-Leucine, CLA], White Chocolate Flavored Coating (Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Milk Protein Isolate, Milk fat, Soy Lecthin, Vanillin), Sugar Free Caramel (Maltitol, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Cream, Butter, Natural Flavor, Salt, Disodium Phosphate, soy Lecithin), Water, Gelatin, Calcium Caseinate, Peanut Flour, Cocoa Butter, Rice Flour, Natural And Artificial Peanut Flavor, Mono And Di-Glycerides, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Potassium Sorbate (As A Preservative), Natural Vitamin E (As Mixed Tocopherols), Sucralose, Neotame.

Warning: This Product Contains Nuts, Soy and Milk Products.

I e-mailed NEXT Proteins awhile back and they said that none of their Detour bars were gluten-free. Trader Joe's list is not reliable, in my opinion, as they had protein bars listed as gluten-free, when they had barley malt.

Sorry! I like the Genisoy PB protein bars, have you tried them?

- Lauren

Here's the response from the manufacturer:

Thank you for contacting us regarding our Designer Whey Products. All

seven award winning flavors of our Designer Whey Powders are gluten

free. There is no possibility of cross contamination, as the

manufacturing facility does not mix or bottle any products that contain

any grains.

Our Aria, 50% whey combined with 50& soy is also gluten free. Aria is

available in a delicious Vanilla and Chocolate flavor.

Unfortunately, Optibol as well as all of our Designer Whey bars are not

gluten free, including our Detour line, U-Turn, Oneway and Joyride.

Some of the ingredients in the bars are not gluten free and some of the

bars may have a statement made in a facility which processes wheat, or

have an allergy warning that states product contains nuts, eggs and or

milk products. This is stated on the bar wraps, in case of any cross

contamination issues.

I hope this helps! Best of luck with all of your health and fitness

goals!

Sincerely,

Next Proteins

Customer Service

Hi all,

Before being gluten-free, I used to eat the Detour protein bars occassionally. I'm a college student, and looking at my class schedule for next semester, Tuesdays are going to definately be a day where I'm eating on the go! According to Trader's Joe's list of gluten-free items, Detour (Caramel Peanut and Peanut Butter) bars are gluten-free! Given that these can be found in a regular store (I don't have a Trader Joe's too close to my school), this would be great, to be able to just throw one of these bars in my bag in case I don't have time for anything else. Looking at the ingredients I can't see anything that would be a no-go. The only thing I see is the artificial flavors, but is that something that Trader Joe's would have checked out? I also emailed the company, so we'll see if I get a response from them as well.

Thanks guys!

Caramel Peanut:

Ingredients: Designer Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein, PDUF whey protein isolate), water, GLYCERLEAN (99.7% USP Glycerine, L-Leucine, L-Taurine, CLA), chocolate coating [sugar, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, nonfat dry milk solids, cocoa powder processed with alkali, whole milk solids, soy lecthin, natural flavor, salt, artificial flavor], peanuts, caramel, soy protein isolate, gelatin, calcium caseinate, inulin, peanut flavor, rice flour, salt, sucralose (Splenda Brand), potassium sorbate.

Peanut Butter:

Ingredients: Designer Whey Protein Blend [(Whey Protein Concentrate, PDUF Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein), Soy Protein Isolate], Glycerlean [99.7% USP Glycerine, Taurine, L-Leucine, CLA], Milk Chocolate Flavored Coating (Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Soy Lecthin, Salt, Vanilla), Sugar Free Caramel (Maltitol, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Cream, Butter, Natural Flavors, Salt, Disodium Phosphate, Lecithin), Water, Gelatin, Calcium Caseinate, Peanut Flour, Cocoa Butter, Rice Flour, Natural And Artificial Peanut Flavor, Mono And Di-Glycerides, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Potassium Sorbate (As A Preservative), Natural Vitamin E (As Mixed Tocopherols), Sucralose, Neotame.

But looking at the ingredients of the other two flavors (that aren't on Trader Joe's list), they look to be safe as well. Could it just be that Trader Joe's doesn't carry the other two flavors?

Smores

Ingredients: Designer Whey Protein Blend [(Whey Protein Concentrate, PDFU Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein), Soy Protein Isolate], Glycerlean [99.7% USP Glycerine, Taurine, L-Leucine, CLA], Milk Chocolate Flavored Coating (Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali) Soy Lecthin, Salt, Vanilla), Marshmallow Flavored Layer (Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Water, Maltodextrin, Egg White Powder, Titanium Dioxide, (For Color), Lecithin, Salt, Natural And Artificial Flavors), Water, Gelatin, Calcium Caseinate, Rice Flour, Cocoa Butter, Natural And Artificial Smores Flavor, Artificial Graham Cracker Flavor, Mono And Di-Glycerides, Salt, Potassium Sorbate (As A Preservative), Natural Vitamin E (As Mixed Tocopherols), Sucralose, Neotame.

Warning: Product Contains Nuts, Soy, Egg and Milk Products.

White Chocolate Peanut Butter

Ingredients: Designer Whey Protein Blend [(Whey Protein Concentrate, PDUF Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein), Soy Protein Isolate], Glycerlean [99.7% USP Glycerine, Taurine, L-Leucine, CLA], White Chocolate Flavored Coating (Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Milk Protein Isolate, Milk fat, Soy Lecthin, Vanillin), Sugar Free Caramel (Maltitol, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Cream, Butter, Natural Flavor, Salt, Disodium Phosphate, soy Lecithin), Water, Gelatin, Calcium Caseinate, Peanut Flour, Cocoa Butter, Rice Flour, Natural And Artificial Peanut Flavor, Mono And Di-Glycerides, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Potassium Sorbate (As A Preservative), Natural Vitamin E (As Mixed Tocopherols), Sucralose, Neotame.

Warning: This Product Contains Nuts, Soy and Milk Products.