• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Daphne do

Diazapam ( Valium )

Rate this topic

So I have been thinking annd thinking and thinking I can not figure out how I got gluten it could possibly be the diazepam (Valium) they are 1mg little green pill from Walgreens I tried calling Walgreens and asking them but the people at that one are super frustrating to talk atleast today they where might be me but I didn't get an answer when I googled it it said it was safe but I have read a bunch of things that are not true so I was hoping some one here would know for sure about diazepam ( Valium)

On the prescription bottle will be the name of the maker. Usually in very small print. You can contact the maker yourself if you feel the need by doing a search for their contact info. You should let your pharmacist know that you are celiac that way they can check the med before you get it filled. Just remind them with each script to be on the safe side. That said very few prescription meds contain gluten.

My pharmacy does not list the name of the maker on the bottle or anywhere the paperwork that I get however, I use a locally owned pharmacy & they are super excellent about calling the manufacturer & checking. I still double check it when I get home or before I leave the pharmacy. You can look up the maker online by the color, shape & markings on the pills. Here's a link. You don't know the inactive ingredient so just leave that blank & ignore it.

https://pillbox.nlm.nih.gov

Once you ID the pill, then you can see what the ingredients are.

Great advice.  Just remember that you are the customer.  Know that each pharmacy with Walgreens is slightly different — meaning the staff.  Some may be more helpful than others.   If you can not get help to your satisfaction, find another pharmacy or choose a different Walgreens.  Also, try to go in during slower times.  For example, I have gone into our hospital pharmacy on Sundays.  They are only filling prescriptions for hospital patients and the pharmacists assigned to walk in traffic are bored!  

Yes, we have many pharmacies here.....Walgreens, CVS, WalMart, Winn Dixie, Publix but I choose our locally owned pharmacy where the same people work there for years & years & I know them all & they know my hubby & myself & our conditions. Sometimes we pay more at their pharmacy but for the personal care & consideration they provide us, we consider it well worth any extra cost we have to pay. 

Cyclinglady is smart in saying to use the pharmacy when things are slower for them.

I don’t find any 1mg diazepam tablets on the FDA website.  Are you in the US? If yes, might it be 10mg? There is a green 10mg tablet.  Is there anything written on (embossed into) the tablets? Perhaps Mylan 477?

2 hours ago, RMJ said:

I don’t find any 1mg diazepam tablets on the FDA website.  Are you in the US? If yes, might it be 10mg? There is a green 10mg tablet.  Is there anything written on (embossed into) the tablets? Perhaps Mylan 477?

You are right I read it wrong that is the exact pills I have 

Here are the inactive ingredients if I can cut and paste this. The numbers are unique ingrdient identifiers. And here is a link to contact Mylan:

https://www.mylan.com/en/contact-mylan

INACTIVE INGREDIENTS
Ingredient Name Strength
SILICON DIOXIDE (UNII: ETJ7Z6XBU4)  
MAGNESIUM STEARATE (UNII: 70097M6I30)  
MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE (UNII: OP1R32D61U)  
STARCH, CORN (UNII: O8232NY3SJ)  
SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE (UNII: 368GB5141J)  
FD&C BLUE NO. 1 (UNII: H3R47K3TBD)  
D&C YELLOW NO. 10 (UNII: 35SW5USQ3G)

Thank you for the information I have emailed and called mylan so far I haven't gotten threw I left a message and I'll just keep trying thank you for all your help I'll let you know what they say when I get threw to some one

Some one finally got back to me about the diazepamshe said there are no gluten ingredients in the diazepam but she cannot guarantee cross-contamination does not happen in manufacturing and I asked her if there was shared line she said no I asked you if there was any other products that had gluten she said no she said again "we can not guarantee cross-contamination does not happen during manufacturing" so basically it's not safe she said use your judgement I hate this disease I have nothing to help me calm down the prescribed this drugs to me get me hooked now I can't handle life cause I have nothing to take thank you all for your help change is just really hard for me 

They can’t guarantee lack of cross contamination because they don’t test for it.  However, based on her answers and the ingredients, it is unlikely to contain enough gluten to bother someone with celiac, if it contains any at all.

I think this drug is safe.  I would feel comfortable taking it.  

The reason why the customer service rep did not guarantee it was gluten free was probably due to legal issues.  It is a “cover your &#@%” statement we commonly hear.   There are a lot of restrictions on drugs and safe manufacturing processes.  

Ditto what RMJ & cyclinglady said. I would take that medication.

1 hour ago, RMJ said:

They can’t guarantee lack of cross contamination because they don’t test for it.  However, based on her answers and the ingredients, it is unlikely to contain enough gluten to bother someone with celiac, if it contains any at all.

But what about cross contamination? I'm confused because I can't eat food that's been cross contaminated she wouldn't say if something else had gluten she wouldn't say if it was made on shared lines if other products contain gluten how do you know if it's safe or not it gives me anxiety just try to figure this out 

4 hours ago, Daphne do said:

I asked her if there was shared line she said no I asked you if there was any other products that had gluten she said no

I took this to mean that she said there were not shared lines or products with gluten. Now you say she wouldn’t say, and I’m confused :).

I worked in the pharmaceutical industry.  Even if they did have shared lines they have to clean extremely carefully because of the active ingredients. I would not worry about that for drugs.

Listen to RMJ.

My hubby worked at a medical device company.  Medical devices and pharmaceutical manufacturing processes are super strict.  Everything must be clean and sterile.  Odds of cross contamination for gluten would be practically zero.  I would take the medication because I would be very confident that it was gluten free. 

It is good you confirmed that all the ingredients in the pills do not contain gluten.  Good job!